Ford CL55 Bleeding air from fuel system?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
lol, found the problem Tazza! no compression! Didn't need a tester either. Went to loosen the plate bolts that attach to the back of the motor and even with a 1/2" wrench the motor turns. It shouldn't turn that easy. Sooooo..... a motor swap is deffinately in the works. RJS
Well, if you believe you can mount it up, i'd go with the Kubota. Parts are easily available. If you go for the newer ones, like a V2203 they start quite easily, not sure how they go without a heater in below freezing climates. I'm from Australia, my V2203 powered machines fire right up, even when its really cold.
You can buy heaters that install into the head and warm the engine up to assist in cold starts.
The older Kubota engines don't start quite as easily, but they get there with a bit of a glow.

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

Well, if you believe you can mount it up, i'd go with the Kubota. Parts are easily available. If you go for the newer ones, like a V2203 they start quite easily, not sure how they go without a heater in below freezing climates. I'm from Australia, my V2203 powered machines fire right up, even when its really cold.
You can buy heaters that install into the head and warm the engine up to assist in cold starts.
The older Kubota engines don't start quite as easily, but they get there with a bit of a glow.
According to the guy with the motors they should mount up fairly easily. Wider oil pans but they have plenty of room. May have to drill a few holes here and there but otherwise should work. As I hear it either should have parts available. The Yanmars being used in John Deere equipment helps as there is a JD dealer nearby but then there are a couple of others that carry Kubota stuff nearby too so I am good parts wise with either choice. The question I have is will I need to do anything different going from 42hp to 44 or 46? The Kubota is 46 and Yanmar 44. I'll probrly go with a choke cable setup with the Kubota for the fuel shutoff, the Yanmar has a solenoid. I may need to set up a relay and switch for that. The only other change will be the throttle linkage but it shouldn't be much different. Fortunately we dont have too many bad winters in Indiana but we do get days or a week at a time it's pretty cold. However the machine will be in a heated shop except if I need it to clear my driveway or move wood for the splitter or bring wood into the shop. I usually have 2 to 3 week supply of wood in the shop though. Can't wait to get this thing running and put it to work here! RJS

Tazza

Staff member
According to the guy with the motors they should mount up fairly easily. Wider oil pans but they have plenty of room. May have to drill a few holes here and there but otherwise should work. As I hear it either should have parts available. The Yanmars being used in John Deere equipment helps as there is a JD dealer nearby but then there are a couple of others that carry Kubota stuff nearby too so I am good parts wise with either choice. The question I have is will I need to do anything different going from 42hp to 44 or 46? The Kubota is 46 and Yanmar 44. I'll probrly go with a choke cable setup with the Kubota for the fuel shutoff, the Yanmar has a solenoid. I may need to set up a relay and switch for that. The only other change will be the throttle linkage but it shouldn't be much different. Fortunately we dont have too many bad winters in Indiana but we do get days or a week at a time it's pretty cold. However the machine will be in a heated shop except if I need it to clear my driveway or move wood for the splitter or bring wood into the shop. I usually have 2 to 3 week supply of wood in the shop though. Can't wait to get this thing running and put it to work here! RJS
I can't see an issue going up a few more HP.
The fuel shut off solenoids are easy to setup. Some Kubotas have them fitted. If it has three wires, you have ground, pull and hold. Wire the pull to the starter, so when you crank it pulls the plunger back. Wire the hold coil to the switched power in the key switch. When you turn the power off it will shut down.
The older bobcats with kubota engines used the same choke cable setup as you describe to shut down.

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

I can't see an issue going up a few more HP.
The fuel shut off solenoids are easy to setup. Some Kubotas have them fitted. If it has three wires, you have ground, pull and hold. Wire the pull to the starter, so when you crank it pulls the plunger back. Wire the hold coil to the switched power in the key switch. When you turn the power off it will shut down.
The older bobcats with kubota engines used the same choke cable setup as you describe to shut down.
Ahhh, thanks that helps! So goinng up a few HP won't hurt anything?

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

Ahhh, thanks that helps! So goinng up a few HP won't hurt anything?
oppsss.... missed that first line Tazza....that answers the question. Looks like I am going with the Yanmar, it's newer than the Kubotas he has and has direct injection. I will need it in the winter so it will help to have an easier starting machine then. Also the Kubotas have a larger bellhousing and I am not sure they will clear the crossmember above it. Also the the flywheel is 14" on the Kubota, the Yanmar is 12" and my coupler is 11 1/8th. Either way I will have to make my coupler larger and drill it for the bolt pattern and pins on the yanmar. I will wire up the solenoid on the Yanmar and my present wire to the glow plugs will go to the heater on the manifold. One nice thing is there will only be 2 fuel lines instead of 3 after all this too. I got the Shibaura engine out today. Easy enough to do. Now if this other goes in as easy I will be happy! I just need to fabricate a new radiator mount and will probably use some 1" square tube and angle I have sitting around here for that. I am in for a fun project here!

Tazza

Staff member
oppsss.... missed that first line Tazza....that answers the question. Looks like I am going with the Yanmar, it's newer than the Kubotas he has and has direct injection. I will need it in the winter so it will help to have an easier starting machine then. Also the Kubotas have a larger bellhousing and I am not sure they will clear the crossmember above it. Also the the flywheel is 14" on the Kubota, the Yanmar is 12" and my coupler is 11 1/8th. Either way I will have to make my coupler larger and drill it for the bolt pattern and pins on the yanmar. I will wire up the solenoid on the Yanmar and my present wire to the glow plugs will go to the heater on the manifold. One nice thing is there will only be 2 fuel lines instead of 3 after all this too. I got the Shibaura engine out today. Easy enough to do. Now if this other goes in as easy I will be happy! I just need to fabricate a new radiator mount and will probably use some 1" square tube and angle I have sitting around here for that. I am in for a fun project here!
Hopefully it will all go easily. As long as pictures are taken. Always interesting seeing how a new engine goes in, hopefully it will work better than ever.

OP
OP
R

RJSStamps

Hopefully it will all go easily. As long as pictures are taken. Always interesting seeing how a new engine goes in, hopefully it will work better than ever.
Ok, lets try here! Been trying to post in the repower section and it is not working. Hopefully Geoffrey can figure out why. Anyway the studs are large and there are 8 of them on the Yanmar engine. They are pressed into the flywheel. Can't post a photo as there is no way to upload it here. RJS