Flat face connectors, OLD/NEW??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mogman

I was reading several posts, my male connector on my 2001 863 started leaking and I am in the middle of an important job here on the farm using my home built trencher to lay 2200 ft of irrigation line, the wife picked up a male connector at TCS that had a 7/8 SAE connection but that was too small to fit on the 863, fortunately I was able to remove the seal and install it into the 863s male connector and all is well for NOW. but I ask do I have an old style or new style flat connector?? what are my options for replacing the male unit on the 863?. BTW I spent most of Friday replacing the two hydraulic hoses going through the rear of the main arms to the bucket cylinder and if the jerk that designed the 863 hydraulic system had walked across my farm at that time his life would not be worth spit, I'd hang him from my barbed wire fence out on the highway like I would a coyote or big snake!!

OldMachinist

If you look close at the old fitting there should be a part number stamped around. Likely will start with "FE". Do a internet search on the number.

HarryN

If you look close at the old fitting there should be a part number stamped around. Likely will start with "FE". Do a internet search on the number.
You're funny mogman. I was looking for the same design engineer last year when I had to replace a number of hoses. He'd be lucky if you found him before I do. I'm sure I'll be looking for them again in the future, too! As good as my 763 is, those guys must have been drinking during the design phase!!! LOL!!!! I have total respect for the service tech's that have to work on them. AND, of course, the guys here who give so freely of their time to help us out.

OP
OP
M

mogman

You're funny mogman. I was looking for the same design engineer last year when I had to replace a number of hoses. He'd be lucky if you found him before I do. I'm sure I'll be looking for them again in the future, too! As good as my 763 is, those guys must have been drinking during the design phase!!! LOL!!!! I have total respect for the service tech's that have to work on them. AND, of course, the guys here who give so freely of their time to help us out.
Boy you are correct Harry on both accounts, it is immensely valuable to pull from this pool of knowledge and hats off to those who work on these monsters full time. My wife says the 863 suffers from a terminal case of HYDROPHILIA LOL I mean its puking hydo oil again and I can't even see where its coming from, maybe the chain case is full of hydo oil again, every now and then I have to pull the FILL plug and let the oil run out from the leaking seals on the drive motors. it's becoming clear that these machines were designed to be scraped after about ten years as they were not designed to be worked on for sure.

Tazza

Staff member
Boy you are correct Harry on both accounts, it is immensely valuable to pull from this pool of knowledge and hats off to those who work on these monsters full time. My wife says the 863 suffers from a terminal case of HYDROPHILIA LOL I mean its puking hydo oil again and I can't even see where its coming from, maybe the chain case is full of hydo oil again, every now and then I have to pull the FILL plug and let the oil run out from the leaking seals on the drive motors. it's becoming clear that these machines were designed to be scraped after about ten years as they were not designed to be worked on for sure.
My S250 bloe a tilt hose where it came out of the arm to the ram. No wonder, the hose touches the corner of the arm and rubs. Why would they design it like that?
The fix was done by removing the hose with rope so i can thread it back in, cut at the wear point, install a male and female 45 degree fitting and re-assemble. This way the fitting will touch the arm, and not at a horrible angle that will cut through it again (hopefully).

OP
OP
M

mogman

My S250 bloe a tilt hose where it came out of the arm to the ram. No wonder, the hose touches the corner of the arm and rubs. Why would they design it like that?
The fix was done by removing the hose with rope so i can thread it back in, cut at the wear point, install a male and female 45 degree fitting and re-assemble. This way the fitting will touch the arm, and not at a horrible angle that will cut through it again (hopefully).
Damn Tazza, what caused the 763 to burn?? with all the leaks on my 863 I am scared I might end up a big ball of fire out in one of my pastures, I don't bolt the cab down so maybe I can get into it fast enough to extinguish a fire if it starts

mrdeere1959

Damn Tazza, what caused the 763 to burn?? with all the leaks on my 863 I am scared I might end up a big ball of fire out in one of my pastures, I don't bolt the cab down so maybe I can get into it fast enough to extinguish a fire if it starts
Please bolt your cab down. I rolled a machine on its side and I can tell you its a bad feeling when the cab tips up as your rolling over. Could have been very bad.

Tazza

Staff member
Please bolt your cab down. I rolled a machine on its side and I can tell you its a bad feeling when the cab tips up as your rolling over. Could have been very bad.
I too would bolt the cab down. The fire was in the engine bay, not under the cab.
I believe it mostly happens when grease and leaf matter gets on the exhaust manifold, even worse for turbo machines. Rats/mice are good at gathering leaves and grass on places like that, even bird nests. It gets hot enough and then it's alight.
The newer machines have fuel tanks lower so it's harder to be fueled, but there is still an oil tank that provides fuel.

OP
OP
M

mogman

I too would bolt the cab down. The fire was in the engine bay, not under the cab.
I believe it mostly happens when grease and leaf matter gets on the exhaust manifold, even worse for turbo machines. Rats/mice are good at gathering leaves and grass on places like that, even bird nests. It gets hot enough and then it's alight.
The newer machines have fuel tanks lower so it's harder to be fueled, but there is still an oil tank that provides fuel.
Well one of the reasons I don't bolt the cab down is because I am in there every day trying to figure out where all that (*^%#&*&%#@$ Hydraulic fluid is going, another reason is because I my farm is on the coastal planes and it is flat as can be, My Mule has not had brakes in several years as I find no use for them... so one would have to really try hard to roll the 863..besides that stupid rodeo bar will keep me in the cab no matter how it's flopping around, although I suppose leg injuries could be severe, oh well it's just one of hundreds of things that could kill you out here...

OP
OP
M

mogman

Well one of the reasons I don't bolt the cab down is because I am in there every day trying to figure out where all that (*^%#&*&%#@$ Hydraulic fluid is going, another reason is because I my farm is on the coastal planes and it is flat as can be, My Mule has not had brakes in several years as I find no use for them... so one would have to really try hard to roll the 863..besides that stupid rodeo bar will keep me in the cab no matter how it's flopping around, although I suppose leg injuries could be severe, oh well it's just one of hundreds of things that could kill you out here...
Funny! I saw a Bobcat going down the highway today on what looked like a 50 foot float with some other equipment, the cab was not bolted down and it had raised itself up, the driver was evidently oblivious to it, hope he did not pass under something too low LOL

Tazza

Staff member
Funny! I saw a Bobcat going down the highway today on what looked like a 50 foot float with some other equipment, the cab was not bolted down and it had raised itself up, the driver was evidently oblivious to it, hope he did not pass under something too low LOL
If he did, that sure is a way to have a bad day :)
Like the picture of a guy hauling an excavator that tried to go through a bridge, yet the bridge came out second best on that one.