Engine temp gauge not registering on 317???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jkski

I was running my 317 yesterday for the majority of the day yesterday without issue but noticed after I loaded it onto the trailer and transported it home for unloading, the temp gauge was not registering. When you sit on the seat, the gauges reset and it moves but once it was started the gauge did not move and actually pointed below the the lowest portion of the range. So, is it the temp sensor that is bad or am I looking at something else? Thanks in advance.

SkidRoe

Is it a single wire sender, or multi wire?
Single wire senders can be checked with a multimeter, set on ohms. Remove the wire and check for a reading between the sender and ground with the engine cold. Repeat with the engine warm. If there is little to no difference in ohm readings, the sender is bad. If you have an open circuit, it could be that the sender has lost it's ground.
Was this sender something that you had to disturb as part of your heater install? I take it that the temp gauge had worked after the install?

OP
OP
J

jkski

Is it a single wire sender, or multi wire?
Single wire senders can be checked with a multimeter, set on ohms. Remove the wire and check for a reading between the sender and ground with the engine cold. Repeat with the engine warm. If there is little to no difference in ohm readings, the sender is bad. If you have an open circuit, it could be that the sender has lost it's ground.
Was this sender something that you had to disturb as part of your heater install? I take it that the temp gauge had worked after the install?
Not sure of the wiring configuration but I will take a look at it later today, thanks for the tip on the multimeter, I will try that. It was working fine for about 10 hours of use after the heater install and I do not recall having disturbed anything during the install but it is certainly possible as space was tight. Hopefully it is something simple like a loose connection!

OP
OP
J

jkski

Not sure of the wiring configuration but I will take a look at it later today, thanks for the tip on the multimeter, I will try that. It was working fine for about 10 hours of use after the heater install and I do not recall having disturbed anything during the install but it is certainly possible as space was tight. Hopefully it is something simple like a loose connection!
Finally had a chance to take a look at this and it looked like everything was in place and tight. I disconnected the wire from the temp sensor, cleaned the tip and reconnected it but no change. So here is the odd part.....after getting in and out of the cab a few times and letting it sit for about 2 hours, I sat down in the seat and the gauge reacted and registered as it should and continued to work fine the rest of the day. Any thoughts?

oasis04

Finally had a chance to take a look at this and it looked like everything was in place and tight. I disconnected the wire from the temp sensor, cleaned the tip and reconnected it but no change. So here is the odd part.....after getting in and out of the cab a few times and letting it sit for about 2 hours, I sat down in the seat and the gauge reacted and registered as it should and continued to work fine the rest of the day. Any thoughts?
My 317 has a temp gauge as well as temp read out on the digital panel with the hr meter.
Not sure if they share a temp sender. If I had to bet, I would think the digital it generated by the onboard computer from an alternate source.