Engine dying

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jeffscoggins

I have a Honda engine in my melroe 610. I was plowing snow this morning and the engine started dying slowly until it just quit. New filters and all. Any idea what I should check first?

OP
OP
jeffscoggins

jeffscoggins

Air filter too?
I had this trouble a couple weeks ago and replaced the air and fuel filters at that time. It purred right along last time I used it so I thought that had been the trouble. It is getting spark because it will run for a little while. However, I have not replaced the plugs in three plus years, so I could do that just to see if that's the trouble. I'm also wondering if it might be a coil issue.

antfarmer2

I had this trouble a couple weeks ago and replaced the air and fuel filters at that time. It purred right along last time I used it so I thought that had been the trouble. It is getting spark because it will run for a little while. However, I have not replaced the plugs in three plus years, so I could do that just to see if that's the trouble. I'm also wondering if it might be a coil issue.
It has earned some spark plugs and a coil trick when going bad is it will run till it heats up then die once cool it will start and do it again

OP
OP
jeffscoggins

jeffscoggins

It has earned some spark plugs and a coil trick when going bad is it will run till it heats up then die once cool it will start and do it again
Ah, that sounds just like what is happening. Thank you! I will give it new plugs and have the coil tested.

OP
OP
jeffscoggins

jeffscoggins

Great let us know
I pulled out a coil and tested it. I don't really know what I'm doing but I think what I'm coming up with is a reading of 18. The specs say it should be between about 5 and 7 kOhms. So maybe the coils are my problem.

Tazza

Staff member
I pulled out a coil and tested it. I don't really know what I'm doing but I think what I'm coming up with is a reading of 18. The specs say it should be between about 5 and 7 kOhms. So maybe the coils are my problem.
To measure them correctly, you need special gear.
Did the manual show you what pins to test? 5-7k i would suspect is about right for the secondary, 18 i wouldn't think would give you a spark.

OP
OP
jeffscoggins

jeffscoggins

To measure them correctly, you need special gear.
Did the manual show you what pins to test? 5-7k i would suspect is about right for the secondary, 18 i wouldn't think would give you a spark.
What kind of special gear do I need? I found some instructions online for measuring coils with a multimeter. My manual didn't say which pins to measure, only that the primary should be .8-1.0 ohms and the secondary should be 4.9-7.1k ohms. I just measured both to see what results I would get and both of them gave me a reading of about 18k.

antfarmer2

What kind of special gear do I need? I found some instructions online for measuring coils with a multimeter. My manual didn't say which pins to measure, only that the primary should be .8-1.0 ohms and the secondary should be 4.9-7.1k ohms. I just measured both to see what results I would get and both of them gave me a reading of about 18k.
What kind of honda is it? .....wait till it heats up and won't start and use a redneck tester find a slow boaderline friend and say hey ya'll hold this lol

OP
OP
jeffscoggins

jeffscoggins

Well, I'm still no closer to solving the problem in my Honda GX670 engine. The coils are checking out. I have strong spark on both of them and I put in new plugs. Since I'm getting good spark the engine stop diode must be OK as well. When I start it up it will run for a few seconds and then die. The last thing I changed before all my troubles began was the air filter. There was some dirt underneath that I tried to get out carefully, but maybe I got something in my carburetor. I hate to pull that off, though, since I don't know much about it, but maybe I don't have a choice.

lfutrell

Well, I'm still no closer to solving the problem in my Honda GX670 engine. The coils are checking out. I have strong spark on both of them and I put in new plugs. Since I'm getting good spark the engine stop diode must be OK as well. When I start it up it will run for a few seconds and then die. The last thing I changed before all my troubles began was the air filter. There was some dirt underneath that I tried to get out carefully, but maybe I got something in my carburetor. I hate to pull that off, though, since I don't know much about it, but maybe I don't have a choice.
I just had this same thing on a lawn mower. It was running fine when I went to get it resdy for spring and change all of the related stuff, then it would run a few seconds and quit. as it turned out I got a bad fuel filter, changed that for another and all is well