Drive chain replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mr_Shane

Hi all. New to the forums. I bought myself a New Holland LS 180 sight unseen and dang.. I didn't know what I was getting into. I think the thing was pulled from the bottom of a lake after being severely beaten and left there. I've done a lot so far, and we're almost there. I need to replace the drive chains. The service manual calls for #100 chain and indicates the length and number of links. I am wondering why I can't just use 100h chain from any supplier. I haven't priced it at the new holland dealer, but I imagine it will be ridiculous. buying a used chain doesn't make much sense to me. Has anyone replaced the drive chains with chains you constructed from bulk? Thanks a lot, Shane

farmshop

Only thing with heavy chain would be if it's a tight fit in a spot otherwise bulk chain would work I know bobcat recommends a hammered connecting link not a cottered or clip style

mike_s_82

Only thing with heavy chain would be if it's a tight fit in a spot otherwise bulk chain would work I know bobcat recommends a hammered connecting link not a cottered or clip style
My Bobcat 843 has 100HS chain on it. It is stronger than the 100H. They do not make removable master links for it due to strength rating I suppose. Which really sucks by the way. Trying to hammer them over in the chain case was a real treat. I made a tool that bobcat says to use, but didn't work. bought a chain breaker for 100 chain, and not even close. You need to cut the chains out. The 100H if that is what you need has a master link I believe. If that is the case, use it. As far as bulk chain, yes and no. You can if you get the right style. For mine I ordered the Bobcat chains. Bobcat even had 2 styles, but one doesn't work. One style is an "8" shaped link and the other is just flat along the link edges and not jut out for the "8" shaped. The non "8" shaped chain did not work and hit on the smaller sprocket shaft. Luckily, I realized it when I could not get the master link in and exchanged it. I will try to upload pictures.

flyerdan

My Bobcat 843 has 100HS chain on it. It is stronger than the 100H. They do not make removable master links for it due to strength rating I suppose. Which really sucks by the way. Trying to hammer them over in the chain case was a real treat. I made a tool that bobcat says to use, but didn't work. bought a chain breaker for 100 chain, and not even close. You need to cut the chains out. The 100H if that is what you need has a master link I believe. If that is the case, use it. As far as bulk chain, yes and no. You can if you get the right style. For mine I ordered the Bobcat chains. Bobcat even had 2 styles, but one doesn't work. One style is an "8" shaped link and the other is just flat along the link edges and not jut out for the "8" shaped. The non "8" shaped chain did not work and hit on the smaller sprocket shaft. Luckily, I realized it when I could not get the master link in and exchanged it. I will try to upload pictures.
One other thing I'm sure the book touched on - if the sprockets are worn to where the teeth lean over like a sawblade, they will hog out your new chain in short order. If they need replacing, now is the time while it's open.

Dgreen4298

One other thing I'm sure the book touched on - if the sprockets are worn to where the teeth lean over like a sawblade, they will hog out your new chain in short order. If they need replacing, now is the time while it's open.
Old post , For future readers. I have used both style chains from bobcat dealer or an 843 and they both worked fine. I did not use a removable master link for two reasons: first they do not make a master link for 100hs, only 100 or 100h I believe, use of a lower grade master link on the 100hs would lower the rating of the chain. It would probably work fine but it is not worth the risk for me. Second when you use a master link the chains are so close together if you put the link on with the flat plate with retainer towards the inside of both chains the link hits the other chain. If you put the link facing the brake disc the link hits the disc once in a while.

Dgreen4298

Old post , For future readers. I have used both style chains from bobcat dealer or an 843 and they both worked fine. I did not use a removable master link for two reasons: first they do not make a master link for 100hs, only 100 or 100h I believe, use of a lower grade master link on the 100hs would lower the rating of the chain. It would probably work fine but it is not worth the risk for me. Second when you use a master link the chains are so close together if you put the link on with the flat plate with retainer towards the inside of both chains the link hits the other chain. If you put the link facing the brake disc the link hits the disc once in a while.
Update, apparently they do make a connecting link for diamond 100hs but I believe it is still a press fit with cotter pins

Tazza

Staff member
Update, apparently they do make a connecting link for diamond 100hs but I believe it is still a press fit with cotter pins
Thanks for the info.
I'd always think one piece chains would be better as the master link could be a weak point, I see the possibility of touching as it will sit out just that little bit more than a factory chain as it needs the space for the pins or snap rings to hold it in place.