dive motor maint.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mahans7

Hey7, enjoy reading your insightful posts. Not sure though what post you're referring to above. Please inform. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Hey7, enjoy reading your insightful posts. Not sure though what post you're referring to above. Please inform. Thanks.
I assume he is talking about the hub oil. Thankfully i don't own and tracked machines. I have heard far too many horror stories in here to keep me away. Doesn't take much for a motor to become a pile of expensive scrap metal.
Ideally if you keep the hub oil chenged at the correct times all should be well, but far too many people neglect it.

lesgawlik

I assume he is talking about the hub oil. Thankfully i don't own and tracked machines. I have heard far too many horror stories in here to keep me away. Doesn't take much for a motor to become a pile of expensive scrap metal.
Ideally if you keep the hub oil chenged at the correct times all should be well, but far too many people neglect it.
I have the oil changed in the drive motors each time the engine oil is changed. I know that is much for frequent than required, but those motors are a fortune. I have heard that recently the specs for the oil have changed, and it's okay to use a much cheaper oil. I have the oil changed primarily so I can monitor the health of the motors. My understanding is that as long as the oil doesn't look like iridescent paint, you're probably okay.

SkidRoe

I have the oil changed in the drive motors each time the engine oil is changed. I know that is much for frequent than required, but those motors are a fortune. I have heard that recently the specs for the oil have changed, and it's okay to use a much cheaper oil. I have the oil changed primarily so I can monitor the health of the motors. My understanding is that as long as the oil doesn't look like iridescent paint, you're probably okay.
I think outboard planetaries have to be the most neglected mechanical device ever. I have always wondered how often farmers changed the oil in the planetary hubs of their MFWA-equipped tractors. I know the ones on our loader on the farm are usually maintained as an after thought. Surprising that you don't see more of them fail.

nwngunner

I think outboard planetaries have to be the most neglected mechanical device ever. I have always wondered how often farmers changed the oil in the planetary hubs of their MFWA-equipped tractors. I know the ones on our loader on the farm are usually maintained as an after thought. Surprising that you don't see more of them fail.
Any one got a writeup on how to change the hub oil. Also what oil should be used now? I would suspect like a 150 weight shell rotella gear oil should work shouldnt it?

mrdeere1959

Any one got a writeup on how to change the hub oil. Also what oil should be used now? I would suspect like a 150 weight shell rotella gear oil should work shouldnt it?
500 hrs is the recommended service interval. Large frame machines are easy. Mid frame machine you need to remove the sprocket. I have found the easiest way for me is to fill with new oil is to fill from bottom with a syringe and small piece of hose. Just put a tad more than the recommended amount in the syringe and push it in. The oil is a syn. so use the bobcat oil.

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

500 hrs is the recommended service interval. Large frame machines are easy. Mid frame machine you need to remove the sprocket. I have found the easiest way for me is to fill with new oil is to fill from bottom with a syringe and small piece of hose. Just put a tad more than the recommended amount in the syringe and push it in. The oil is a syn. so use the bobcat oil.
legs walk right on. murderme the syringe thing is what i do too.. if anyone has done the reseacrh on repair or replace motor, you will find, parts exceed cost of replacement(some nap) oil cost has dropped, basicaly a no brainer, 3500 $ motor or do the maint, and yes it does seem to help. as to hrs cant be excat, but what i can say is the ones that have been maintened. live a hell ofo lot longer than those that dont,,get maintained, knoughf said.

mahans7

legs walk right on. murderme the syringe thing is what i do too.. if anyone has done the reseacrh on repair or replace motor, you will find, parts exceed cost of replacement(some nap) oil cost has dropped, basicaly a no brainer, 3500 $ motor or do the maint, and yes it does seem to help. as to hrs cant be excat, but what i can say is the ones that have been maintened. live a hell ofo lot longer than those that dont,,get maintained, knoughf said.
I like the way you break things down smallie and I'm learning. Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance. The guy I bought my 743 from said he just drove it for a year and didn't do much of anything with it. I'm still trying to catch up on it.

gtstang462002

I like the way you break things down smallie and I'm learning. Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance. The guy I bought my 743 from said he just drove it for a year and didn't do much of anything with it. I'm still trying to catch up on it.
I just got off the phone with AmsOil tech support. They said that their equivilent to the Mobile 150 is severe gear 75w90, this is a fully synthetic oil. The 150 number is actually just an ISO number reffering to the spec sheet. The guy went through all of the specs and recommended this oil. Has anyone had any experience using this?

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

I just got off the phone with AmsOil tech support. They said that their equivilent to the Mobile 150 is severe gear 75w90, this is a fully synthetic oil. The 150 number is actually just an ISO number reffering to the spec sheet. The guy went through all of the specs and recommended this oil. Has anyone had any experience using this?
the oem oil , has dropped to reasonable price. legs right on . cant hurt to change it. at 3500 a pop small frames will get 4 oil changes for 20 bucks. yea a little labor pullining track and sprocket. but gives a undercarrige clean out and inspection.. now one of things ive been doing. (as to whether it does any good is open to debate) is swappining sprockets and tracks from left to right, my thinking goes back to the days when i ran a track press. 360 and 180 gives new wear surface thereby extendining life. therotticaly it makes sense. and they are on the ground, (COULDNT HURT) any way thats what i do..

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

the oem oil , has dropped to reasonable price. legs right on . cant hurt to change it. at 3500 a pop small frames will get 4 oil changes for 20 bucks. yea a little labor pullining track and sprocket. but gives a undercarrige clean out and inspection.. now one of things ive been doing. (as to whether it does any good is open to debate) is swappining sprockets and tracks from left to right, my thinking goes back to the days when i ran a track press. 360 and 180 gives new wear surface thereby extendining life. therotticaly it makes sense. and they are on the ground, (COULDNT HURT) any way thats what i do..
how bout some feed back guys. yes its a pain in the ass, but a 7000, hit for new drive motors really sucks, am i wastining my time here.