Condensing the site

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmall450

I believe this site could be much more easily navigated, and therefore better patronized, by condensing it. Look at other successful forums, ie the Garage Journal. They have 16 total discussion boards, here there are 39. This makes the site seems less-busy (some topics haven't been posted in/on for months) and less attractive. Just my $.02. -Farmall450

Tazza

Staff member
How would you condense it?
Are you talking the different areas we have? we did that to help group the topics together. For example, without the case section, all the posts would go into the bobcat section. The two are different machines, so information for one does not translate to the other.
Any and all ideas are welcome.

OP
OP
F

Farmall450

Are you talking the different areas we have? we did that to help group the topics together. For example, without the case section, all the posts would go into the bobcat section. The two are different machines, so information for one does not translate to the other.
I'd clean up the massive other topics. Organization is great and all but home made and engine swaps could go into fabrication, for example. Or fab and techniques. Look at the gj's, there's guys putting ecoboost engines in old fords and the next thread over is show us your welding projects. These can live in harmony especially with the smaller number of active users on here. Other Topics New Posts Reviews Add reviews for attachments and equipment 18 109 04-17-2016 05:06 PM by Tazza New Posts Salvage/Parts This forum is for Salvage or Parts issues. 202 513 04-29-2016 06:29 PM by Steelart99 New Posts Suggestions Put any suggestions that you have for the site here. 30 181 10-31-2015 07:22 AM by akashsharma New Posts Shop Talk This forum is for shop related issues pertaining to maintenance, equipment, etc. 119 759 04-28-2016 09:07 PM by fixingthefarm New Posts Business Matters Use this forum for business, legal or contractual issues. This is also a good place to share business ideas or ventures. 42 209 01-26-2016 01:26 AM by mmsllc New Posts Attachments Attachments Forum 409 2,034 Today @ 02:05 AM by mmsllc New Posts Construction Construction Forum 19 108 05-01-2016 10:03 PM by chachiman80 New Posts User Questions This forum is for user questions or issues pertaining to site operation, navigation, browser compatibility, etc.. 79 479 02-03-2016 08:10 AM by SkidRoe New Posts Open Discussion This forum is open for general discussion. As a courtesy to the SkidSteer Forum and our members, we ask that you not post religious, sexual, political or racist material. 193 1,010 03-09-2016 08:25 PM by SkidRoe New Posts Introduce Yourself Introduce yourself, your business or hobbies, etc. 262 961 04-17-2016 05:02 PM by Tazza New Posts Landscaping Landscaping Forum 19 112 02-07-2016 09:48 PM by CraigClayton New Posts Myths This Forum is For Posting Myths Related to SkidSteer, Engine, etc. Type Stuff... 7 90 05-01-2016 09:12 PM by Farmall450 New Posts Training Materials This forum is for anything related to skidsteer training materials. 2 2 01-03-2012 07:33 AM by J-Long New Posts Repowering This Forum is for all Repowering topics. 59 456 Today @ 02:11 AM by Thomasus140 New Posts Home Made Put any equipment, attachments, etc that you have built and would like to share with the forum.

OP
OP
F

Farmall450

I agree we should have the threads that are brand specific however there are just so many others to navigate. And when they aren't posted in for months, it just seems lethargic to me.

Tazza

Staff member
I agree we should have the threads that are brand specific however there are just so many others to navigate. And when they aren't posted in for months, it just seems lethargic to me.
Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Be it for or against. I can then pass on any recommendations to the forum owner and see what he thinks too.

owensge

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Be it for or against. I can then pass on any recommendations to the forum owner and see what he thinks too.
I'm okay with that as long as there is a mapped way to do it.

vinito

I'm okay with that as long as there is a mapped way to do it.
Keep in mind that more modern forum software removes some of the problems that older software tried to solve by having so many sub headings. A decent search feature helps a lot, and they all have a "show new posts" feature now. For some important stuff like handy links or tips or the like, three or four "sticky" threads at the top can be useful for keeping them easy to reach but still easy to navigate. Personally I prefer forums which have at most five headings total, and even then sometimes I only look at one or two except for rare occasions. I know this may be difficult for a lot here to warm up to because you're so used to the way it's been for many years, but I sincerely believe that even the brand-specific headings could be condensed and after a while nobody would miss it.
The idea is to put the traffic in one place and sub headings (and I cannot stress this enough) are not that important unless 1) the traffic is way too thick (which isn't a problem here at all) 2) the headings are way different enough to want to keep the traffic segregated, such as off-topic discussion or the like. My favorite forums have things like business matters, project threads, "help me" questions, etc. all in one heading and you just see all of them when you open the forum page and you can either read them or not. A decent search feature will usually work very well if looking for an old thread or something specific you want to look up.
Again, the important thing for a healthy forum is to design it so the traffic is all in one place. If you get more than 30 or 50 posts per day, then it is time to look at what's being discussed and figure out how to evenly divide it up so it's not being washed clean with new topics twice a day. This forum doesn't have nearly that much traffic and I do sincerely think that one heading with maybe a couple off-topic or unusual tangent headings (which wouldn't get used much probably) would get some more interesting posts and be much easier to navigate.
I realize that this may not sound like it would have the right feel compared to the way the forum has been set up, but I'm confident that if it only had between one and three headings max, it would be a lot funner place to come to.
It's like a party. There are all these people talking in a big room and you just walk around and overhear different conversations, then just join in on the ones you find interesting. If all these conversations are in different small rooms with just a couple people in there (or worse, mostly empty) you won't go in. Keep everybody in the same place where all the action is and the party is a lot funner, and you will probably get in on some surprise discussions accidentally just because you were near.
Anyway, I'm offering this not just off the cuff based on a feeling. This is what I notice from various forums I've joined. And I'm not kidding, the fewer headings the better, even if it's just one. I cold go on but this is pretty long already.