cold start Perkins

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xcmark

I have a perkins 1004 in my JCB skid steer that is a 92 hp turbo motor that is hard starting. It has a fresh interstate group 31 , good battery cables and clean connections. I have check the cables for hot spots after cranking it for 10 seconds , tried putting the charger on it 15 mins before trying to start it . Nothing seams to make any differance it just turns over slow below 15*f. It will fire up no problem at 20*f but its like a light switch once it gets colder , slow crank and smoke out exhaust. The motor is in good shape , it has 1850 hrs on it and almost zero blow by , no smoke out of the pipe running idle or full speed under load. Also i dont see any glow plugs on the motor is this a option? Any one know if there are other starter that fit this motor, maybe a slightly higher TQ rated? Rotela 15-40 motor oil and 10-30 hydrolic oil 2003 JCB 1110T skid steer Perkins 1004 AK motor , 92 hp

Tazza

Staff member
All diesel engines are hard to start when cold. I thought there would be glow plugs. but some used a heater on the inlet manifold that heated the air as it was drawn in. As for slower cranking, i would suspect its your oil thickening from the cold. The only alternative i can think of is using synthetic oil or tarping and warming the machine. Another very handy option is a block heater. It will take the strain off the engine in cold weather. Any warmth you can get into the engine before starting in sub freezing temperatures will only do it good. Cold starting is rather hard on it, the oil will not want to move around its so thick.
I'm sure others will have ideas too.

dozer

All diesel engines are hard to start when cold. I thought there would be glow plugs. but some used a heater on the inlet manifold that heated the air as it was drawn in. As for slower cranking, i would suspect its your oil thickening from the cold. The only alternative i can think of is using synthetic oil or tarping and warming the machine. Another very handy option is a block heater. It will take the strain off the engine in cold weather. Any warmth you can get into the engine before starting in sub freezing temperatures will only do it good. Cold starting is rather hard on it, the oil will not want to move around its so thick.
I'm sure others will have ideas too.
I have a Cat branded Perkins in my ASV and I agree. It will not start under 15 degrees unless it is plugged in. Period.
I don't get it I just remember to plug it in or park it inside. Good Luck. I am also buying a battery warmer just to help on those cold days if shes parked outside.
Dozer

skidsteer.ca

I have a Cat branded Perkins in my ASV and I agree. It will not start under 15 degrees unless it is plugged in. Period.
I don't get it I just remember to plug it in or park it inside. Good Luck. I am also buying a battery warmer just to help on those cold days if shes parked outside.
Dozer
Get rid of the 15/40, its like tar in the winter. 0-40 is a good choice, or a 5-30. Also does it have a block heater? it needs one.
Some perkins engines had a manifold heater that ignited a small amount of diesel in the intake manifold to give the engine heated intake air to aid start up, no idea if that applies to your model but you could investigate that further.
Ken

Latest posts