Cheap shipping for bulky item - please advise

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinito

I found a stock cage for my little Gehl 2500. The guy lives about a 6-hour drive away and that could be done, but it would be more convenient to just have it shippied if I could find something reasonable enough.
This thing probably only weighs about 50 to 75 lbs, but it's bulky - about 4 feet long by 2-1/2 feet wide by 3 feet high.
Anybody know of a cheap way to have this shipped? It would be nice if it could just have a label slapped on it and ship without needing a pallet or box or anything as it doesn't need to be protected. Seems like it should be doable for under a hundred bucks or at least not much more.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Tazza

Staff member
Over here we have things called back loads, essentially when goods go one way, the truck coming back is empty so any freight they can pick up is essentially money for nothing. You may have the same sort of thing over there? just need to find someone...

TriHonu

Over here we have things called back loads, essentially when goods go one way, the truck coming back is empty so any freight they can pick up is essentially money for nothing. You may have the same sort of thing over there? just need to find someone...
&nbsp
Depending on your location, you could try:
You could post the job on UShip.com
or
Fastenal Corporation offers reasonable rates on shipping from and to their store locations. They add your freight to their standard shipping schedule. It's Sunday and their site is down right now; Google "Fastenal 3PL". You can get a quote online.

OP
OP
vinito

vinito

&nbsp
Depending on your location, you could try:
You could post the job on UShip.com
or
Fastenal Corporation offers reasonable rates on shipping from and to their store locations. They add your freight to their standard shipping schedule. It's Sunday and their site is down right now; Google "Fastenal 3PL". You can get a quote online.
"Fastenal Corporation offers reasonable rates on shipping"
Thanks. I did not know that! I got a quote from them for $50 and the best I could do otherwise was around $200 or so. $50 I can do. The origin location is only a 3-hour drive one way and I'm sure that helps to keep shipping cheap, but that didn't seem to matter to UPS or anybody else I checked with.
That's a great tip and I will keep it in mind for the future.

tndigger

"Fastenal Corporation offers reasonable rates on shipping"
Thanks. I did not know that! I got a quote from them for $50 and the best I could do otherwise was around $200 or so. $50 I can do. The origin location is only a 3-hour drive one way and I'm sure that helps to keep shipping cheap, but that didn't seem to matter to UPS or anybody else I checked with.
That's a great tip and I will keep it in mind for the future.
Another vote for Fastenal Corp shipping. They are reasonable.

Latest posts