Case 85xt 2004 won't move

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Doc69

It lost all hydrulics in the field. The motor still runs And I am going to check all safety lights and some of the wiring connections my question is if I can't fix it in the field what is the best way to get the machine in neutral so I can load it on a trailer and bring home so not so far away? Thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
If you lost the lot, it sounds like the coupler between the pump and engine let go.
You don't have anything? no drive or lift?

Gearclash

If you lost the lot, it sounds like the coupler between the pump and engine let go.
Check all your fuses first. Coupler is easy to check--if you can tilt the cab forward. Arms have to be up to do that and that may not be easy to do if nothing wants to work.

OP
OP
D

Doc69

Thank u for the replies . Brother in law was on it and said it quit raising up when it got hot or warmed up a few days ago but the tilt worked fine .then the other day he said it was sluggish it started acting funny so he killed it and thought he would take a break but when he came back he said the motor would run but nothing else would work

Gearclash

Thank u for the replies . Brother in law was on it and said it quit raising up when it got hot or warmed up a few days ago but the tilt worked fine .then the other day he said it was sluggish it started acting funny so he killed it and thought he would take a break but when he came back he said the motor would run but nothing else would work
Assuming the XTs have the same coupler that the 400s do, I would think if the coupler failed it would be at the splines where the coupler drives the rear hydro.

Gearclash

Assuming the XTs have the same coupler that the 400s do, I would think if the coupler failed it would be at the splines where the coupler drives the rear hydro.
How many hours on the machine? What's the hydraulic oil level look like?

Gearclash

It has 3000hrs. And the oil is checked regularly usually once a week.
Seems unlikely that the coupler would have failed already at 3000 hrs. Unlikely but possible. Are both ground drives totally dead? I have seen the shaft between the tandem pumps fail an render the machine immobile, except that the rear pump would move the machine slightly.

OP
OP
D

Doc69

Seems unlikely that the coupler would have failed already at 3000 hrs. Unlikely but possible. Are both ground drives totally dead? I have seen the shaft between the tandem pumps fail an render the machine immobile, except that the rear pump would move the machine slightly.
I am going to find out more this weekend. Going to try to get on trailer so I can bring it home and work on it then. I am just worried that it won't roll. Thank you for all the input. I know I have a place to start looking with all the good info.. Will it be locked or unlocked and how do I bybass the lock just to get it loaded? Or disengage the drive ? Or should I be prepared to fix it out in the field?

Gearclash

I am going to find out more this weekend. Going to try to get on trailer so I can bring it home and work on it then. I am just worried that it won't roll. Thank you for all the input. I know I have a place to start looking with all the good info.. Will it be locked or unlocked and how do I bybass the lock just to get it loaded? Or disengage the drive ? Or should I be prepared to fix it out in the field?
The spring applied hydraulically released brakes are going to guarantee that the wheels won't turn unless there is hydraulic pressure to release them. You should be okay if you carefully skid the machine on and off a trailer.

tndigger

The spring applied hydraulically released brakes are going to guarantee that the wheels won't turn unless there is hydraulic pressure to release them. You should be okay if you carefully skid the machine on and off a trailer.
My 90XT lost drive function in field on Monday. The hydraulics still worked. I checked all safety switches: seat, lap bar and cab. All checked good. All fuses checked good. I called dealer and a tech said to move a few relays around esp the front right. I swapped two of the relays and now I can drive again. I am going to pickup an extra relay or two for spares. Also my fuse box and relays could use all the connections cleaned. BTW I can tilt the cab with the arms down. The cab just won't tilt as far foward.

OP
OP
D

Doc69

My 90XT lost drive function in field on Monday. The hydraulics still worked. I checked all safety switches: seat, lap bar and cab. All checked good. All fuses checked good. I called dealer and a tech said to move a few relays around esp the front right. I swapped two of the relays and now I can drive again. I am going to pickup an extra relay or two for spares. Also my fuse box and relays could use all the connections cleaned. BTW I can tilt the cab with the arms down. The cab just won't tilt as far foward.
Thanks for all the input guys and i will follow up. To let yall know what is going on. I like this forum....

OP
OP
D

Doc69

Thanks for all the input guys and i will follow up. To let yall know what is going on. I like this forum....
Alright finally got back out there to see what was wrong and all the lights are green except the hydrostatic charge light was on. The hydraulic reservoir was empty put fluid in but alarm still on and park brake light still on. Could it have air in system ? And if it does how do I bleed it

Gearclash

Alright finally got back out there to see what was wrong and all the lights are green except the hydrostatic charge light was on. The hydraulic reservoir was empty put fluid in but alarm still on and park brake light still on. Could it have air in system ? And if it does how do I bleed it
If it got run out of oil there will be air in the system. I think it will purge itself if you just cycle all the functions. One thing that may help purge the hydros would be to jack the wheels off the ground. I am wondering where all the oil went? Might want to take a peek in your chain cases and see of one or both is way overfilled. There should be just enough oil in them to touch the rear chain. If there is a lot more oil than that then the drive motor(s) probably has a leaking shaft seal.

OP
OP
D

Doc69

If it got run out of oil there will be air in the system. I think it will purge itself if you just cycle all the functions. One thing that may help purge the hydros would be to jack the wheels off the ground. I am wondering where all the oil went? Might want to take a peek in your chain cases and see of one or both is way overfilled. There should be just enough oil in them to touch the rear chain. If there is a lot more oil than that then the drive motor(s) probably has a leaking shaft seal.
Okay there is a oil leak between hydraulic gear pump and hydrostatic drive pump there is not supposed be Right? To be oil there. So is there a good chance that the gear pump is out. And where could I find a diagram of tandem pumps or break down . Ty.

Gearclash

Okay there is a oil leak between hydraulic gear pump and hydrostatic drive pump there is not supposed be Right? To be oil there. So is there a good chance that the gear pump is out. And where could I find a diagram of tandem pumps or break down . Ty.
partstore.casece.com http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54796 First one is Case Parts home page, second hopefully takes you right to 85XT parts. An oil leak does not necessarily mean the pump is bad.

OP
OP
D

Doc69

partstore.casece.com http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr54796 First one is Case Parts home page, second hopefully takes you right to 85XT parts. An oil leak does not necessarily mean the pump is bad.
Thanks Gearclash for the web site. Found o rings and u where right pump is good. What I did find out was that wasn't the only leak. The one that caused all this was in the supply hydrulic tube. Did a filter change too. The hole in supply did drain all the hydrulic fluid and it was air locked. Cracked charge filter let air escape and tighten after I saw fluid. Then charge light went off and we started moving again. But started seeing fluid in bottom of skid steer and that is when I found leak in supply tubing. Had I not pressure washed the motor compartment 1st I would have never seen it. Once again Gear thanks for ur input. I will update again in a few days. Oh yeah it took nearly all day to get supply tubing out. It was at very the bottom .

Gearclash

Thanks Gearclash for the web site. Found o rings and u where right pump is good. What I did find out was that wasn't the only leak. The one that caused all this was in the supply hydrulic tube. Did a filter change too. The hole in supply did drain all the hydrulic fluid and it was air locked. Cracked charge filter let air escape and tighten after I saw fluid. Then charge light went off and we started moving again. But started seeing fluid in bottom of skid steer and that is when I found leak in supply tubing. Had I not pressure washed the motor compartment 1st I would have never seen it. Once again Gear thanks for ur input. I will update again in a few days. Oh yeah it took nearly all day to get supply tubing out. It was at very the bottom .
With a few exceptions a pressure washer is your very best friend for finding hydraulic leaks on a skidsteer!

OP
OP
D

Doc69

With a few exceptions a pressure washer is your very best friend for finding hydraulic leaks on a skidsteer!
Well after fight with the old pump it only generated 1500 psi wide open. One thing I did learn is that if the pump wont pick up it is wore out. I would have to crack the charge filter (the one between your legs) till the air escape and saw fluid then tight then the pump would pick up. Installed a brand new gear pump today and set psi at the Auxiliary at 2700 psi . Let me tell u worth every penny 950 $ NEW MACHINE