case 440 brakes come on

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Symon

Hi good people, I am about to take delivery of my first skid steer in a week or two but apparently it has a little problem, from time to time the brakes come on and then the button has to be pushed to release them i am thinking after reading through a lot of posts that it could very well be the lap bar safety switch are these difficult to locate and replace Warm regards Symon

Gearclash

Also replace the operator presence switch under the seat. Neither switch is very hard to get to but the lap bar switch is easier. Failure of either of them can cause random application of the park brake.

OP
OP
S

Symon

Also replace the operator presence switch under the seat. Neither switch is very hard to get to but the lap bar switch is easier. Failure of either of them can cause random application of the park brake.
Thank you. Appreciate your reply.

OP
OP
S

Symon

Thank you. Appreciate your reply.
I have finally fixed this annoying problem i replaced all the switches but the problem still kept happening then one day the brakes kept coming on every couple of minutes, i lifted the seat bar and manually activated the switch i could hear a click of a relay but not from the fuse box i lifted the cab and next to the hand accelerator i noticed a solenoid there is three it was the middle one its called the cartridge spool lockout it was super hot you couldn't touch it i replaced that today and the problem hasn't happened again the part number was 84128131 cost was Aus $262.38 hope this helps someone Symon

Tazza

Staff member
I have finally fixed this annoying problem i replaced all the switches but the problem still kept happening then one day the brakes kept coming on every couple of minutes, i lifted the seat bar and manually activated the switch i could hear a click of a relay but not from the fuse box i lifted the cab and next to the hand accelerator i noticed a solenoid there is three it was the middle one its called the cartridge spool lockout it was super hot you couldn't touch it i replaced that today and the problem hasn't happened again the part number was 84128131 cost was Aus $262.38 hope this helps someone Symon
Shame it took you 2 years to find the cause, glad you got it sorted out! Given enough time, most issues can be worked out.
Great work finding it, and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
S

Symon

Shame it took you 2 years to find the cause, glad you got it sorted out! Given enough time, most issues can be worked out.
Great work finding it, and thanks for sharing.
Thanks Tazza yeah i just hated this machine every time i got in it i knew i had ten minutes before this rubbish would start but now i am loving it again really hope some one who is having trouble reads this Symon

Gearclash

Thanks Tazza yeah i just hated this machine every time i got in it i knew i had ten minutes before this rubbish would start but now i am loving it again really hope some one who is having trouble reads this Symon
Glad you found the problem. Both the spool lockout solenoids bit the dust on our 420 much earlier than I thought they should have. They never made the park act up though.

OP
OP
S

Symon

Glad you found the problem. Both the spool lockout solenoids bit the dust on our 420 much earlier than I thought they should have. They never made the park act up though.
Gearclash thank your reply, yesterday i took the skid steer on a job and after a few hours it started doing it again of course i have now thrown the old solenoid in the bin because after several long sessions at home the machine ran perfectly back to the head scratching

OP
OP
S

Symon

Gearclash thank your reply, yesterday i took the skid steer on a job and after a few hours it started doing it again of course i have now thrown the old solenoid in the bin because after several long sessions at home the machine ran perfectly back to the head scratching
Update I think the problem is now fixed i have in the past swapped out the relays with the other relays in the fuse box and the problem has still existed well today i bought a new aftermarket relay and problem seems solved. i wonder if the old relays were drawing to much current and then triggering the brake through the safety circuit anyway i thrashed my skidsteer for a good four hours and i mean absolutely thrashed it as i was beyond caring at this stage and not one problem Regards Symon

Latest posts