Can I add free float to my 260?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brucelamo

I have a 2002 JD260. It does not have the free floating feature. I would like to add it if possible for snow plowing and grading. Can this be done, or is too big of a deal and I should think about swapping out for a different machine? Thanks

jerry

Are you sure it doesn't have float? If its pedal operated push the boom pedal to lower the boom and then give it a sharp push further. It should pop into float detent.

OP
OP
B

brucelamo

Are you sure it doesn't have float? If its pedal operated push the boom pedal to lower the boom and then give it a sharp push further. It should pop into float detent.
I have tried but it nevers goes to a float position, it only lifts the front wheels off the ground. Is it possible the linkage needs adjusting. I did not buy the machine new so I don't know if a floating boom is an option or standard. If it should be there I can look into some more but I have tried repeatedly with no success. Everything else works great. The lift is strong and fast. All hydraulics work very smoothly.

jerry

I have tried but it nevers goes to a float position, it only lifts the front wheels off the ground. Is it possible the linkage needs adjusting. I did not buy the machine new so I don't know if a floating boom is an option or standard. If it should be there I can look into some more but I have tried repeatedly with no success. Everything else works great. The lift is strong and fast. All hydraulics work very smoothly.
If it is like my 99 new Holland it is a poor excuse for a float. Mine does the same thing, start with the bucket not quite on the ground. I guess that for the new Holland there is a "improved " float kit but it costs over $100. My snow plow can float on its mount and that seems to work good enough for snow.
After you attempt to put it in float begin backing up and the front end should come down.

OP
OP
B

brucelamo

If it is like my 99 new Holland it is a poor excuse for a float. Mine does the same thing, start with the bucket not quite on the ground. I guess that for the new Holland there is a "improved " float kit but it costs over $100. My snow plow can float on its mount and that seems to work good enough for snow.
After you attempt to put it in float begin backing up and the front end should come down.
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Bruce

OP
OP
B

brucelamo

Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Bruce
I tried my JD260 again and what do you know, the float works. Your advice to give it a kick is what was missing. I was trying to push it down and that does not work with this machine, but the firm kick did the trick. As for how well it works, it is better than no float so I am happy with that. Thanks for the advice. Bruce

jerry

I tried my JD260 again and what do you know, the float works. Your advice to give it a kick is what was missing. I was trying to push it down and that does not work with this machine, but the firm kick did the trick. As for how well it works, it is better than no float so I am happy with that. Thanks for the advice. Bruce
Bruce , it helps also if you take the cover off the valve body and spray clean and lube up the spool shafts and all pivots that are exposed. They don't get much attention down there and get rusty and dirty.