buying an attachment that has sat for years

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

[email protected]

hey guys. i'm buying an essentially brand new 709 backhoe attachment that has sat in a garage since 99 or 2000. the thing is mint. is there anything i should do before hooking up to it? chances are the seals and everything should be fine, right?

buckshot

Greetings Sir, Life is a crap shoot. That being said I have hydraulic systems that I have used for many years with out leaking or falling apart. I would think this machine being stored in a garage should be in good condition. But the proof in in the pudding. Can you bring your machine to that location and plug it in? Test it out. Dig a few holes and if the price is right you go home with a smile. Good luck. Have fun, buckshot

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

Greetings Sir, Life is a crap shoot. That being said I have hydraulic systems that I have used for many years with out leaking or falling apart. I would think this machine being stored in a garage should be in good condition. But the proof in in the pudding. Can you bring your machine to that location and plug it in? Test it out. Dig a few holes and if the price is right you go home with a smile. Good luck. Have fun, buckshot
it belongs to a good friend of mine. i went and inspected it the other dayand it is in pristine condition. barely used at all, paint is damn near perfect. all the cylinders all seems clean and dry with no pitting. its kinda buried in the back of his shop so once the weather gets better i'll go pick it up. i'm just not sure if i need to wipe the cylinders down with oil? anything else?

farmshop

it belongs to a good friend of mine. i went and inspected it the other dayand it is in pristine condition. barely used at all, paint is damn near perfect. all the cylinders all seems clean and dry with no pitting. its kinda buried in the back of his shop so once the weather gets better i'll go pick it up. i'm just not sure if i need to wipe the cylinders down with oil? anything else?
If anything I would crack hose fittings loose and look for any signs of water from condensation. Probably a moot point if everything is closed you should be fine

bobcatguy

If anything I would crack hose fittings loose and look for any signs of water from condensation. Probably a moot point if everything is closed you should be fine
I'd probably try to drain the cylinders and get as much of the old oil out as possible or if nothing else get some oil out of it and make sure it isn't milky in appearance. You wouldn't want to contaminate your system with moisture by connecting to it.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I'd probably try to drain the cylinders and get as much of the old oil out as possible or if nothing else get some oil out of it and make sure it isn't milky in appearance. You wouldn't want to contaminate your system with moisture by connecting to it.
perhaps i can do that. not sure how any water could have gotten in there, just from condensation?

bobcatguy

perhaps i can do that. not sure how any water could have gotten in there, just from condensation?
I'm not saying it would happen for sure but I would think over the course of several years of warm/cold just from ambient that you could get some moisture forming in the empty side of the two way cylinders. I would just verify the fluid in the attachment before connecting it to your machine. I know how much of a pain it is to get rid of moisture in a machine once it is introduced.

flyerdan

I'm not saying it would happen for sure but I would think over the course of several years of warm/cold just from ambient that you could get some moisture forming in the empty side of the two way cylinders. I would just verify the fluid in the attachment before connecting it to your machine. I know how much of a pain it is to get rid of moisture in a machine once it is introduced.
Isn't everything on that double acting? I'd think the cylinders would be full of fluid on both sides, unless all the seals were shot and gravity drained it out. I think at worst some of the rod seals might weep a bit until they limber up, same with some hoses that might have taken a set from sitting in the same position. If you can buy it at a price that would expect to replace the hoses and reseal the cylinders it would still be a good unit.

bobcatguy

Isn't everything on that double acting? I'd think the cylinders would be full of fluid on both sides, unless all the seals were shot and gravity drained it out. I think at worst some of the rod seals might weep a bit until they limber up, same with some hoses that might have taken a set from sitting in the same position. If you can buy it at a price that would expect to replace the hoses and reseal the cylinders it would still be a good unit.
It has been my experience that there is oil on one side. As the rod extends out oil pushes the bottom side of the piston. As it retracts oil fills on the top side of the piston.

bobcatguy

It has been my experience that there is oil on one side. As the rod extends out oil pushes the bottom side of the piston. As it retracts oil fills on the top side of the piston.
I guess I should say that there is oil on both sides as the piston extends or retracts. Like I said earlier, I'm not saying that there IS moisture in the system. I'm saying I'd open the line and check the fluid to make sure it's not milky. If the oil looks milky at all, I'd flush the attachment. Easier,faster and cheaper to flush an attachment than to flush an entire machine

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

I guess I should say that there is oil on both sides as the piston extends or retracts. Like I said earlier, I'm not saying that there IS moisture in the system. I'm saying I'd open the line and check the fluid to make sure it's not milky. If the oil looks milky at all, I'd flush the attachment. Easier,faster and cheaper to flush an attachment than to flush an entire machine
the only concern i have is that in the past i have loosened old hydraulic lines and when i retightened them they started leaking after that.

bobcatguy

the only concern i have is that in the past i have loosened old hydraulic lines and when i retightened them they started leaking after that.
If you want to see the fluid, just take the male or female coupler off the attachment and pour some fluid into a glass. You just want to make sure the fluid doesn't look milky. To put the coupler back on just use some thread sealant and two wrenches to tighten it back on.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

If you want to see the fluid, just take the male or female coupler off the attachment and pour some fluid into a glass. You just want to make sure the fluid doesn't look milky. To put the coupler back on just use some thread sealant and two wrenches to tighten it back on.
hey guys so i finally picked this backhoe up. everything seems to work fine. the two stabilizer levers were a little stiff but i sprayed them and they are fine now. i have a couple questions. when the idle is all the way down on the machine i can find this sweet spot on the control valves where, say i try to pick the main boom up. if i stop at this exact spot when pulling the lever towards me the boom will drop slightly then the hydraulics kick in and it lifts up. almost like the levers self bleed or something. 2nd question is when the machine sits for a while, the boom will drop a couple inches in a few hours. i assume this is normal. but i can also move the bucket freely by hand slightly as well. not the full stroke of the cylinder just a little bit. zero signs of leaks at all whatsoever. everything is tight. i assume its all fine and i am just way too observant and nitpicking a 20 year old backhoe.

farmshop

hey guys so i finally picked this backhoe up. everything seems to work fine. the two stabilizer levers were a little stiff but i sprayed them and they are fine now. i have a couple questions. when the idle is all the way down on the machine i can find this sweet spot on the control valves where, say i try to pick the main boom up. if i stop at this exact spot when pulling the lever towards me the boom will drop slightly then the hydraulics kick in and it lifts up. almost like the levers self bleed or something. 2nd question is when the machine sits for a while, the boom will drop a couple inches in a few hours. i assume this is normal. but i can also move the bucket freely by hand slightly as well. not the full stroke of the cylinder just a little bit. zero signs of leaks at all whatsoever. everything is tight. i assume its all fine and i am just way too observant and nitpicking a 20 year old backhoe.
The drop when running the lever is just the response lag in the system. As far as the bucket moving is the cylinder moving in and out our is it play in the linkages

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

The drop when running the lever is just the response lag in the system. As far as the bucket moving is the cylinder moving in and out our is it play in the linkages
thanks for your help. used it today, huge improvement over my old 907 backhoe, the reach is fantastic. the hydraulics, while not perfect, are certainly a huge step on from my old one. no leaks, everyhing is dry. the one concern i have is that one of the outer dust wiper seals was cracked i noticed the other day, before i even dug with the hoe. now after a couple hours use a piece of it is missing. just the very outer part, when i look in the innter part that actually does the work seems fine. it doesnt even weep a tiny bit.

OP
OP
T

[email protected]

thanks for your help. used it today, huge improvement over my old 907 backhoe, the reach is fantastic. the hydraulics, while not perfect, are certainly a huge step on from my old one. no leaks, everyhing is dry. the one concern i have is that one of the outer dust wiper seals was cracked i noticed the other day, before i even dug with the hoe. now after a couple hours use a piece of it is missing. just the very outer part, when i look in the innter part that actually does the work seems fine. it doesnt even weep a tiny bit.
of course now when the flat face couplers are disconnected form the machine they leak lol. tight when on the machine tho. ordered a new set. they are still shiny new but i guess 20 years old the inside the rubber is dry

farmshop

of course now when the flat face couplers are disconnected form the machine they leak lol. tight when on the machine tho. ordered a new set. they are still shiny new but i guess 20 years old the inside the rubber is dry
I would order your seal kits. Easy enough to do. If the wipers are getting bad it's only a matter of time

Latest posts