Building your workshop

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

now theirs an idea.
That's what I forgot was a vent. The floor drains have a sediment pit and the drain is out the side, it then runs to my bathroom and sink, so the drains gurgle when flushing. Seems to work ok just makes noises. Most of the other suggestions I have followed with the exception of exhaust fans.
I do have ceiling fans though, variable but not reversible. I do however have my overhead doors on each end on the build, 16 by 16 to the south is the main door, towards the yard, and two 12 by12 on the North side, towards the house. These sure are handy for cross ventilation. We try to do our welding (big jobs) when the temps are warm enough to open the doors. Usually one of the two just a bit as there is often a wind that vents things to good.
Also I have the equipment yard on the opposite side of the shop from the house makes for less mess visible when people stop by, and helps keep the spousal unit quiet (don't under estimate that benefit) Btw they don't pay anymore attention to whats in the shop then you do to their shoe rack or closet. And believe me there is way more useless stuff in the house then my shop.
I also run 4" sleeves under the foundation and up through the floor on both ends, so I can add under ground services without have to drill holes, etc
10,000 lb 2 post hoist, a luxury for the 25 lifts it make a year for me but sure is handy. At 2500 usd, worth every penny. does get in the way at times but not too bad.
Air compressor in another building, not done yet, when the car garage goes up the compressor goes there. Peace ant quiet. Having the comp cut in when your on the phone with that parts guy your trying to catch up to sucks.
I' m 40 by 60, so rather then one long floor drain, I devide the floor into 2 basins 30 long and 40 wide with 3" of slope with 2 small drains 20" square, about 4' deep, just a stack of oil pails with the bottoms cut out of all but the last one. Pipe goes out the side 1/2 way up to allow slurry to settle. The water runs in between my two bays, so when I crawl under something I'm not laying on a drain, or in a puddle or if I open up the hyd system and oil goes everywhere, it is not collecting under a machine, but rather running out beside it, where I can deal with the mess easier.
Size, still could be bigger, don't forget to plan spaces for shelving, equipment and tools, and that clutter that family imposes on you. Wifes junk, kids junk, kids projects, storage, etc if you work in it part time it is a never ending battle chasing the clutter out.
If I'm fortunate someday I would love to add another 40 feet to the end. My main door would be left in the new center (option to heat all or not) and the added area would be car wash (no storage as everything gets misted and wet) and allow enough length to pull a semi truck in without having to uncouple it and park the tractor on the other side. But size is relative to your largest equipment. Min of 2X your largest machine imo.
I also ran a 4' balcony the full length of both long walls. Up 12' (18' ceiling) for storage. Ladder to acess the west side but stairs to the East side and a 10 by 12 office upstairs (above bathroom and workbench area) on the SE corner.
The 3" slope eliminated most of the puddles, but is a pain for fabbing when you want things level. If you think you can get by with 1" and make all the water run away, I wish you luck.
I did not have a floor for the first 2 years, but when we poured it, my cement guy goofed and the next day when I when to close the 16' door it has about a 3/4" slope across the width of the door. We had to adjust the door seal to match the new slope, and any water that melts in that corner of the building does not drain. He does this for a living, but I kick my butt for not checking this. His mistake but I have to live with it. Probable should have kicked his butt too, but he is my neighbour and throws me work to so what do you do.
Ken

coreya3212

That's what I forgot was a vent. The floor drains have a sediment pit and the drain is out the side, it then runs to my bathroom and sink, so the drains gurgle when flushing. Seems to work ok just makes noises. Most of the other suggestions I have followed with the exception of exhaust fans.
I do have ceiling fans though, variable but not reversible. I do however have my overhead doors on each end on the build, 16 by 16 to the south is the main door, towards the yard, and two 12 by12 on the North side, towards the house. These sure are handy for cross ventilation. We try to do our welding (big jobs) when the temps are warm enough to open the doors. Usually one of the two just a bit as there is often a wind that vents things to good.
Also I have the equipment yard on the opposite side of the shop from the house makes for less mess visible when people stop by, and helps keep the spousal unit quiet (don't under estimate that benefit) Btw they don't pay anymore attention to whats in the shop then you do to their shoe rack or closet. And believe me there is way more useless stuff in the house then my shop.
I also run 4" sleeves under the foundation and up through the floor on both ends, so I can add under ground services without have to drill holes, etc
10,000 lb 2 post hoist, a luxury for the 25 lifts it make a year for me but sure is handy. At 2500 usd, worth every penny. does get in the way at times but not too bad.
Air compressor in another building, not done yet, when the car garage goes up the compressor goes there. Peace ant quiet. Having the comp cut in when your on the phone with that parts guy your trying to catch up to sucks.
I' m 40 by 60, so rather then one long floor drain, I devide the floor into 2 basins 30 long and 40 wide with 3" of slope with 2 small drains 20" square, about 4' deep, just a stack of oil pails with the bottoms cut out of all but the last one. Pipe goes out the side 1/2 way up to allow slurry to settle. The water runs in between my two bays, so when I crawl under something I'm not laying on a drain, or in a puddle or if I open up the hyd system and oil goes everywhere, it is not collecting under a machine, but rather running out beside it, where I can deal with the mess easier.
Size, still could be bigger, don't forget to plan spaces for shelving, equipment and tools, and that clutter that family imposes on you. Wifes junk, kids junk, kids projects, storage, etc if you work in it part time it is a never ending battle chasing the clutter out.
If I'm fortunate someday I would love to add another 40 feet to the end. My main door would be left in the new center (option to heat all or not) and the added area would be car wash (no storage as everything gets misted and wet) and allow enough length to pull a semi truck in without having to uncouple it and park the tractor on the other side. But size is relative to your largest equipment. Min of 2X your largest machine imo.
I also ran a 4' balcony the full length of both long walls. Up 12' (18' ceiling) for storage. Ladder to acess the west side but stairs to the East side and a 10 by 12 office upstairs (above bathroom and workbench area) on the SE corner.
The 3" slope eliminated most of the puddles, but is a pain for fabbing when you want things level. If you think you can get by with 1" and make all the water run away, I wish you luck.
I did not have a floor for the first 2 years, but when we poured it, my cement guy goofed and the next day when I when to close the 16' door it has about a 3/4" slope across the width of the door. We had to adjust the door seal to match the new slope, and any water that melts in that corner of the building does not drain. He does this for a living, but I kick my butt for not checking this. His mistake but I have to live with it. Probable should have kicked his butt too, but he is my neighbour and throws me work to so what do you do.
Ken
I put a lof tin my shop, full length 60 feet and 16 feet from the wall. I wanted a lower cieling, 8 and half feet, lower lights as I am a woodworker and dont need the height of 16 feet. Also more storage space. I put a den up stairs and have a couch and sat tv for a afternoon nap. I put my compressor and dust collection units in a small 10x8 room in the back corner and insulated for sound for the same reason as Ken describes. Always plan your tool position and wire accordingly for separate circuits, and hi amp wire for certain tools, dont forget the tools you want one day that may require 30,40 or more amps. I too had concrete poured afterwards and my father warned me about the main overhead door to make sure it is level as even a half inch slant across will show daylight through. Thats a good tip for anyone who hasnt been bit once....as my father was on his garage.

coreya3212

I put a lof tin my shop, full length 60 feet and 16 feet from the wall. I wanted a lower cieling, 8 and half feet, lower lights as I am a woodworker and dont need the height of 16 feet. Also more storage space. I put a den up stairs and have a couch and sat tv for a afternoon nap. I put my compressor and dust collection units in a small 10x8 room in the back corner and insulated for sound for the same reason as Ken describes. Always plan your tool position and wire accordingly for separate circuits, and hi amp wire for certain tools, dont forget the tools you want one day that may require 30,40 or more amps. I too had concrete poured afterwards and my father warned me about the main overhead door to make sure it is level as even a half inch slant across will show daylight through. Thats a good tip for anyone who hasnt been bit once....as my father was on his garage.
My pics did post after all. Folders are in alphabetical I guess. Corey Shop folder if anyone interested. I am always interested to see what others do, you never know what ideas come out of the woodwork.
All fixed!
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Corey%20Shop%20Build
DSC00001.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00017.JPG

DSC00020.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

DSC00040.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00062.JPG

DSC00070.JPG

jerry

My pics did post after all. Folders are in alphabetical I guess. Corey Shop folder if anyone interested. I am always interested to see what others do, you never know what ideas come out of the woodwork.
All fixed!
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Corey%20Shop%20Build
Is that one of those concrete trucks where the aggregate and cement are separate and they mix it as you need it? I have never seen one of them but i know they are around here. Nice building you have there. Looks like a strong floor too.

Skiddy

Is that one of those concrete trucks where the aggregate and cement are separate and they mix it as you need it? I have never seen one of them but i know they are around here. Nice building you have there. Looks like a strong floor too.
NICE NICE NICE shop man! very nice!

coreya3212

Very nice.
Ken
Thanks everyone. The latest stages there in the pics was about a year ago. Insides are as done as they are gonna be, wried insulated etc...I found that working through spring and summer, I never had time to take pictures cause I could work often. Building through the winter made things so slow that I took time to take picks.

Yeah on the cement trucks. They have sort of a split sided tank, one side aggregate the other cement. Then a separate water tank. Auger controls each from a remote and they mix what you need as you need. The finisher liked it cause he worked alone. 2400 sq foot. The guy was 68 years old and when he showed up the morning of the pour by himself, I was nervous. 5 of those trucks were in the yard and that old bugger was waiting on them to ge tinto place in between. He was really a impresive. He placed, floated, polished, sealed, was at my place for 23 straight hours, then e went home for 8 hours and came back and cut, for a buck a sq foot. That was service and value.

coreya3212

Thanks everyone. The latest stages there in the pics was about a year ago. Insides are as done as they are gonna be, wried insulated etc...I found that working through spring and summer, I never had time to take pictures cause I could work often. Building through the winter made things so slow that I took time to take picks.

Yeah on the cement trucks. They have sort of a split sided tank, one side aggregate the other cement. Then a separate water tank. Auger controls each from a remote and they mix what you need as you need. The finisher liked it cause he worked alone. 2400 sq foot. The guy was 68 years old and when he showed up the morning of the pour by himself, I was nervous. 5 of those trucks were in the yard and that old bugger was waiting on them to ge tinto place in between. He was really a impresive. He placed, floated, polished, sealed, was at my place for 23 straight hours, then e went home for 8 hours and came back and cut, for a buck a sq foot. That was service and value.
PS- Thanks to the mod who fixed my pics to put in the post.

sandhills-elect

Not a problem :)
Very nice indeed!
If you guys need advice on wiring these shops, i do it for a living. I am so jealous of your nice shops. I would give a nut for a nice finish 40x60 with a little heat. I have probably wired close to 1000 of these and always had a dream of doing it someday. All looks great, everyone has a personal touch. That is what makes it yours and not your freinds or neighbors. Enjoy, and shot me any questions. Later Brent.

Skiddy

If you guys need advice on wiring these shops, i do it for a living. I am so jealous of your nice shops. I would give a nut for a nice finish 40x60 with a little heat. I have probably wired close to 1000 of these and always had a dream of doing it someday. All looks great, everyone has a personal touch. That is what makes it yours and not your freinds or neighbors. Enjoy, and shot me any questions. Later Brent.
sand hills ....... 1000 or 100? that is some work man. wow you need a rest!

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

sand hills ....... 1000 or 100? that is some work man. wow you need a rest!
Skiddy I was going to post some pictures of my shop on the inside but it would take too long to clean up to the point I'd want people to see it. They seem so big inside when there're empty and a year later there's barely room to walk sometimes. Anyway here's some of my place from the outside.
DSCF0557.jpg picture by calfranch

DSCF0558.jpg picture by calfranch

DSCF0555.jpg picture by calfranch

Tazza

Staff member
Skiddy I was going to post some pictures of my shop on the inside but it would take too long to clean up to the point I'd want people to see it. They seem so big inside when there're empty and a year later there's barely room to walk sometimes. Anyway here's some of my place from the outside.
I can totally relate, when i need to do work i generally "clean" a spot, my "cleaning" usually involves pushing whatever is in the way on the bench further over :) Every time i clean up a bit, it doesn't last very long. you clean a section then in no time you have something else sitting on there, i think i just need a larger shed!

Skiddy

I can totally relate, when i need to do work i generally "clean" a spot, my "cleaning" usually involves pushing whatever is in the way on the bench further over :) Every time i clean up a bit, it doesn't last very long. you clean a section then in no time you have something else sitting on there, i think i just need a larger shed!
nice place there too old machinist. I like the pond. I live in the mountains of South Dakota so a pond is out but a creek would be nice. What state ya in OM?

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

nice place there too old machinist. I like the pond. I live in the mountains of South Dakota so a pond is out but a creek would be nice. What state ya in OM?
I'm in Illinois about 50 miles south east of St. Louis.
Tazza, I know what you mean. The only time my big work bench was cleaned off is when I moved it from St. Louis to here. Even when I was moving it around to put the concrete floor in the shed I didn't fully clean it off. I had nothing but a dirt floor in the shed for the first three years and by the time I got around to doing the floor I had so much stuff I had to do it a section at a time and then move everything around to do the next section. You know a bigger shed just means you have room to buy more stuff.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm in Illinois about 50 miles south east of St. Louis.
Tazza, I know what you mean. The only time my big work bench was cleaned off is when I moved it from St. Louis to here. Even when I was moving it around to put the concrete floor in the shed I didn't fully clean it off. I had nothing but a dirt floor in the shed for the first three years and by the time I got around to doing the floor I had so much stuff I had to do it a section at a time and then move everything around to do the next section. You know a bigger shed just means you have room to buy more stuff.
That's my fear too, get a bigger shed i'll find more *stuff* to put in it! Same with land, if you have space you collect more toys.

coreya3212

That's my fear too, get a bigger shed i'll find more *stuff* to put in it! Same with land, if you have space you collect more toys.
I was going to build a 1200 sq ft shop, but went with 2400 cause I am allowed one building up to that sq footage with out a developement permit, ( permission from the district). Its full of stuff and messy, and any horizontal surface will be covered with something that shouldnt be there. I dont think it can be avoided....

OP
OP
OldMachinist

OldMachinist

I was going to build a 1200 sq ft shop, but went with 2400 cause I am allowed one building up to that sq footage with out a developement permit, ( permission from the district). Its full of stuff and messy, and any horizontal surface will be covered with something that shouldnt be there. I dont think it can be avoided....
Okay since I was talking about it I decided to clean the workbench today. I didn't take a before picture but here's as clean as it gets.
DSCF0560.jpg picture by calfranch

And since everyone says they're as messing as me here's some of the areas I didn't clean up.
DSCF0566.jpg picture by calfranch

DSCF0564.jpg picture by calfranch

DSCF0565.jpg picture by calfranch

Here's one of my lathe.
DSCF0561.jpg picture by calfranch

And for Corey one on the water outside my front door.
DSCF0567.jpg picture by calfranch

And finally one of my driveway. It goes on for anaother 1/4 mile after you get to the top of the hill.
DSCF0568.jpg picture by calfranch

Tazza

Staff member
Okay since I was talking about it I decided to clean the workbench today. I didn't take a before picture but here's as clean as it gets.

And since everyone says they're as messing as me here's some of the areas I didn't clean up.

Here's one of my lathe.

And for Corey one on the water outside my front door.

And finally one of my driveway. It goes on for anaother 1/4 mile after you get to the top of the hill.
Very nice indeed!