bucket release

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

robertpier

I inherited my Dads 753 Bobcat. He never took off the dirt bucket. I would like to use a different attatchment and can only get one side to release. I've soaked it with juice and heated it cherry red and quenched it with water. I've pounded and used a pipe to give me more advantage on the trip lever with no results. Is it possible that it's stuck for good? If so, what do you do?

frogfarmer

I love it when that happens. I have seen attachment plates that were cut apart buy the owners due to this same problem. I personally have never had a plate I couldnt get the pins out. As you have already tryed you must use penetrating oil, heat, and a rather large hammer. I have cut buckets off to allow more clearance to get at the parts to smash with the hammer. Persistence will prevail just be patient and when you get the pins out make sure you grind the outside diameter so it wont seize again.

OP
OP
R

robertpier

I love it when that happens. I have seen attachment plates that were cut apart buy the owners due to this same problem. I personally have never had a plate I couldnt get the pins out. As you have already tryed you must use penetrating oil, heat, and a rather large hammer. I have cut buckets off to allow more clearance to get at the parts to smash with the hammer. Persistence will prevail just be patient and when you get the pins out make sure you grind the outside diameter so it wont seize again.
I'm apprehensive about pounding too hard on the bottom of the pin. I'm afraid that it will mushroom and never slide through. Is it advantagous to remove the top spring and lever assembly and pound on the top to free it up before pounding it back and out?

Tazza

Staff member
I'm apprehensive about pounding too hard on the bottom of the pin. I'm afraid that it will mushroom and never slide through. Is it advantagous to remove the top spring and lever assembly and pound on the top to free it up before pounding it back and out?
Hit it with a soft hammer, never use a hardened one, i got hit in the knee with fragments from mine. I needed to cut the guides out of mine after cutting the bucket off.
Others have come up with good ideas, if you have access to a press, press it out~!

tmq

Sounds like you're trying to get the bobtach quick release pins to raise up from the bottom. I just went through a similar situation, the levers were both broken and pins were stuck. It took me an entire evening to free up the pins with tapping and plenty of PB blaster but finally go them moving a little at a time at first and then all the way out. They will only come out up from the bottom. I tipped the bobtach all the way down to get easier access to work. Have fabricated a couple new handles and they work great now.

Bman73

had mine frozen and found that it helped to have the bucket tilted almost all the way forward then put down pressure on it, seemedto take some of the drag off the pin and made ponding it out easier. Down side to it is someone hasto be in the machine and are stuck in it till your done or you have to take the door off before hand. Good luck

Latest posts