boosting flow

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

machine addict

Has anyone thought about changing their smaller high flow pump with a second standard flow pump? The two pumps are mounted inline as a two stage pump. The first is a 33cc standard flow capable of 24gpm and the second is 11cc for an additional 12gpm for a total of 33 to 35gpm. I don't see why the smaller secondary pump couldn't be replaced with 33cc pump like the first one and replace the bolts holding them together with longer ones. It should boost the flow into the low 40gpm range. The only problem I see is the first pump has a 3/4 hose and the second has a 5/8 hose. Also the machine arms are plumbed with 3/4 lines that might be a little small for the flow. If my idea would work someone could add 20%-30% more hydraulic HP for only $450 for the pump and a little more for bolts.

walio123

It is possible in principle , but still need to comply with many things . 1.Hydraulic tank volume - it may be necessary to have more oil in the system due to the increased volume of the pumps. 2.Volume of the inlet hoses from tank to pump and outlet hoses from pupm to main valve. 3. Is main valve is able to cope with the increased flow 4. Volume of the hoses from valve to hydraulic filter/s and filter/s volume . 5.Volume of the hoses from filter to the cooler . 6.Volume of the cooler,whether it will be able to cool the increased oil flow. 7.Volume of the hoses from cooler to tank. It will also load engine. Maybe not a lot yet. You have to understand whether your pump shaft is strong enough to bear the load of another pump.

OP
OP
M

machine addict

It is possible in principle , but still need to comply with many things . 1.Hydraulic tank volume - it may be necessary to have more oil in the system due to the increased volume of the pumps. 2.Volume of the inlet hoses from tank to pump and outlet hoses from pupm to main valve. 3. Is main valve is able to cope with the increased flow 4. Volume of the hoses from valve to hydraulic filter/s and filter/s volume . 5.Volume of the hoses from filter to the cooler . 6.Volume of the cooler,whether it will be able to cool the increased oil flow. 7.Volume of the hoses from cooler to tank. It will also load engine. Maybe not a lot yet. You have to understand whether your pump shaft is strong enough to bear the load of another pump.
Total machine hydraulic fluid capacity is around 12gal and tank volume is about 6gal. It is gravity feed by a 1.5" line which should be sufficient. Wish the tank volume was higher. The line from the secondary high flow pump is only 5/8 which is a little small for 24gpm but flow charts say it sould handle it. Cid mowers only use 1/2" lines on their mower and they say its enough but I think they should be larger. The pump shaft is small but im not exactly shure how small, they used a metric pump so its not easily replaced by aftermarket. The machile has a large cooler and is plumed all in 1"on the return side. Not sure about the filter but has 1" supply lines to it also. The control valve on the standard flow side will handle its flow. But the secondary high flow valve is smaller. The engine is 92 hp and could handle it. The pump configuration on it now will hardly load the engine when my cutter stalls at full flow and pressure. Case will up sell you a piston pump that will make 36gpm at 4000psi for $10000. But with the setup im thinking of you would still have the same hydraulic hp and it would run most high flow attachments at 3000psi. 4000 psi would blow the guts out of most attatchments. The previous series before the alpha series had 40 plus gpm. I dont know why they derated them. Maybe for heat reasons. Mine has never run hot all summer with a hd cutter on it.

walio123

Total machine hydraulic fluid capacity is around 12gal and tank volume is about 6gal. It is gravity feed by a 1.5" line which should be sufficient. Wish the tank volume was higher. The line from the secondary high flow pump is only 5/8 which is a little small for 24gpm but flow charts say it sould handle it. Cid mowers only use 1/2" lines on their mower and they say its enough but I think they should be larger. The pump shaft is small but im not exactly shure how small, they used a metric pump so its not easily replaced by aftermarket. The machile has a large cooler and is plumed all in 1"on the return side. Not sure about the filter but has 1" supply lines to it also. The control valve on the standard flow side will handle its flow. But the secondary high flow valve is smaller. The engine is 92 hp and could handle it. The pump configuration on it now will hardly load the engine when my cutter stalls at full flow and pressure. Case will up sell you a piston pump that will make 36gpm at 4000psi for $10000. But with the setup im thinking of you would still have the same hydraulic hp and it would run most high flow attachments at 3000psi. 4000 psi would blow the guts out of most attatchments. The previous series before the alpha series had 40 plus gpm. I dont know why they derated them. Maybe for heat reasons. Mine has never run hot all summer with a hd cutter on it.
if the piston pump is sold by the dealer of Case without additional hardware then the hydraulic system in your skid steer is able to hanlde wtih it. Just call the dealer and say you want to do an upgrade -To buy such a piston pump and whether another to buy . They must be able to answer you .If the answer is - you only need to exchange the pump - you can act boldly on your way. It only remains to see if your pump shaft is strong enough.

mmsllc

if the piston pump is sold by the dealer of Case without additional hardware then the hydraulic system in your skid steer is able to hanlde wtih it. Just call the dealer and say you want to do an upgrade -To buy such a piston pump and whether another to buy . They must be able to answer you .If the answer is - you only need to exchange the pump - you can act boldly on your way. It only remains to see if your pump shaft is strong enough.
That would be nice. Imagine a brush cutter at full tilt!!

OP
OP
M

machine addict

I have a newer tv380 now with the enhanced high flow and there is quite a few differences in the 2. The enhanced high flow has a RexRoth piston pump mounted directly behind the engine before the drive motor pumps. I would bet because of this it does have a larger drive shafts than the gear pump on the regular high flow. Also this pump makes enough power to choke down the engine unlike the gear pump. There is a huge difference in the power to the attachment.

Latest posts