Boom pins on a LX565

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Straydog

I have a couple of questions about the pins where the boom hydraulic ram meets the boom. Mine has had a hard life and the pins have worn out the hole in the boom. The previous owner has welded a new plate on both sides over the top of the elongated hole and put a new longer pin in. It all looks a bit untidy so I want to fix it up and get it back to its correct way. I think the problem was they never greased the pins via the nipple in the ram so the pin was turning in the boom instead. My questions are: Can you replace the sleeves in the ram? - The parts list shows replaceable pins for the bottom pivot of that ram but not the upper pivot. Also, does the upper pin have any means of being secured to the boom so that it can only rotate in the end of the ram and not in the hole in the boom?

Mike10

If I understand correctly the boom is worn where the pin goes through the rod end of the lift cylinder. On early machines the boom had square plates welded to the sides of the boom to reinforce this area. These plates had a tendency to wear out. The later booms have heavy circular blocks welded to the sides of the boom. New Holland offers a kit to upgrade the old style plates to the newer round blocks. The kit has everything you need including the pins. When you remove the plates which have been added you will find a 3/8" hole in the boom which will retain the new pin to the boom with a bolt. The part number for the kit is 86527633.

OP
OP
S

Straydog

If I understand correctly the boom is worn where the pin goes through the rod end of the lift cylinder. On early machines the boom had square plates welded to the sides of the boom to reinforce this area. These plates had a tendency to wear out. The later booms have heavy circular blocks welded to the sides of the boom. New Holland offers a kit to upgrade the old style plates to the newer round blocks. The kit has everything you need including the pins. When you remove the plates which have been added you will find a 3/8" hole in the boom which will retain the new pin to the boom with a bolt. The part number for the kit is 86527633.
Thanks Mike10. Yes, its worn as you described. I just phoned for a price on the kit you described but they want $640 (Australia) for the kit. I think I will try to fabricate the equivalent of the kit myself. If the original pin is held with a bolt to stop it rotating in the boom, why do the holes wear? If the hole in the rod end of the cylinder is worn, are there bushes in there you can replace or do you have to replace the whole cylinder?

Mike10

Thanks Mike10. Yes, its worn as you described. I just phoned for a price on the kit you described but they want $640 (Australia) for the kit. I think I will try to fabricate the equivalent of the kit myself. If the original pin is held with a bolt to stop it rotating in the boom, why do the holes wear? If the hole in the rod end of the cylinder is worn, are there bushes in there you can replace or do you have to replace the whole cylinder?
I do not know what the conversion rate is but that is more than twice as high as here in the states. You might check this part number, 86521978. I think this is the part number for the hubs that you weld on the boom. It is not clear what they are in the component breakdown but that is the only part called hub in the kit. If it is reasonable you might just order one and see what you get.
I think the holes wore because the metal is to soft and the pins would just push up into the metal, Eventually they would break the tab off the pin or loosen the retaining bolt and the wear would just keep on going up the boom. If you are not going to be using it hard you can probably just weld new plates to the side of the boom and fill in the wore area of the boom with weld.