bobcat t190 shutting down from low oil pressure

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

joesmith123

Bobcat T190 keeps shutting down due to low oil pressure

Gauge also reading low oil pressure

Could it be a sensor or is the oil pump bad?

Gauges picture: top left is oil pressure, bottom left is hydraulic system temperature, correct?

warning picture: this warning comes on, then machine shuts off

Engine picture: I did add oil and checked it with the dipstick at the bottom, and oil is full, but

I see 2 entrances to put oil, is that right? I added oil to the bottom opening, and I do see another opening higher up, further in, harder to get to, but it is the top of the engine

Let me know if I made a mistake

The machine is not mine, do I keep running it and finish the job, or tell the owner that I wont run the machine in fear of messing up the engine?

Edit: the oil level did go up after putting in the oil in the lower oil cap, it was half on the dipstick, I put in 32 ounces total, it shows full on the dipstick

Attachments

• gauges.jpeg
    gauges.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 39
  • warning.jpeg
    warning.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 31
  • engine.jpeg
    engine.jpeg
    474.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

foton

two places to add oil is not unusal on diesel engines, I guess replacing the oil pressure sending unit would be your best move. If it did not have that computer that want to see oil pressure I would say to add a mechanical gauge to verify what the electronic one is reading or misreading, then if they read different (as the manual one reads normal pressure) then replace current sending unit in the machine having verifyed it is bad. I guess you could use tee and do as described if you have enough room, and have another reference for oil pressure conditions.

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

two places to add oil is not unusal on diesel engines, I guess replacing the oil pressure sending unit would be your best move. If it did not have that computer that want to see oil pressure I would say to add a mechanical gauge to verify what the electronic one is reading or misreading, then if they read different (as the manual one reads normal pressure) then replace current sending unit in the machine having verifyed it is bad. I guess you could use tee and do as described if you have enough room, and have another reference for oil pressure conditions.

I only have the machine until Thursday, is replacing the oil pressure sending unit a big job?

Where is the sensor located that tells oil pressure? The engine is V2403

I would contact the OWNER. Ask them what they want to do. Put the "Ball" in owners court. Worse case you Blow engine. I'm not willing to gamble that on a borrowed skid steer.
Keep us posted.
Todd

Yes I figured to trust the gauge on the machine. I do recall the digital oil pressure gauge on the machine going up a few days ago. Yes I am not trying to blow up an engine. If its true that there is no oil pressure.

Yes, I will try to look into checking the oil pressure manually. If it is too much work, then I will tell the owner to take the machine as I am not willing to run the machine with low oil pressure.

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

Update:

I just ran it for about 30-45 minutes

When it started cold, there was some oil pressure reading on the gauge (3 or 4 bars)

Then, after warming up, oil thinned, and gauge went down and the machine shut down

My theory: there are leaks all over the engine, causing the oil to lose pressure

What is your theory?

foton

well if the oil is the wrong weight and real old it might cause some of this problem. but I would think it is bearing wear not external leaks. maybe tell him to go with a straight weight 40 oil. and see how it reacts. good luck

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

I added oil to the full level using the top hole

When cold: machine will run for 30 minutes before shutting down

When hot: machine will run 30 seconds then shut down

What could be the cause of this problem? I am considering offering the owner:

"I will fix this issue on this machine if you let me use it for a week for free"

Let me know if yall can help me fix it for him. How much work is it to fix this issue? Is it just a oil pump, or is it more complicated?

We know the gauge works because:

When it is cold, I can see 3/4 bars on the oil pressure gauge (digital)

Let me know what to do asap, thanks

Another issue that I will offer to fix: On the top left side, the "lift/tilt" is flashing, telling me a problem with the system

When machine is cold: that system works fine and you can lift/tilt

When machine hot: that light is flashing and you cant lift/tilt

Attachments

• engine2.jpeg
    engine2.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
J

joesmith123

well if the oil is the wrong weight and real old it might cause some of this problem. but I would think it is bearing wear not external leaks. maybe tell him to go with a straight weight 40 oil. and see how it reacts. good luck

Ok yes I am listening, you are saying the problem is "bearing wear"

Is this a problem that is fixable or major? My understanding is there is an oil pump that can be replaced and would fix the issue, but maybe I am incorrect

A temporary fix you are suggesting: Use straight 40 oil, which would be thicker, and would create more pressure on the weak system

Yes, I will suggest that to him

I will not do it to this machine because it not mine but:

Theoretically if I put gear oil, it would thicken oil and maybe help in this type of situation? I am asking to learn for future situations like this

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

Oil pump for kubota V2403 engine

Could it be as simple as this part here? Or is it internal in the engine, hard to fix, it would require much labor?

I am willing to put in a new oil pump for him if he lets me use the machine for a bit longer. I will see what yall say.

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

Ok here is someone replacing oil pump, from what I am gathering:

I have to get under the machine, remove oil pan, then remove oil pump, then install the new one

The hardest part is gonna be getting the machine high enough to work on it

I do have hydraulic jack that can lift it up

My offer to the owner is gonna be:

"I will purchase and install new oil pump, and figure out the lift tilt problem if you let me use it for a week"

I wont offer the owner this until I see what yall say, take care

I am 100% sure I can replace the oil pump if it is as simple as this video shows, it will probably be more thinking/labor figuring out the lift/tilt problem

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

Here is someone with the same machine and exact same problem

First thing to check: make sure that the proper oil sensor was installed, it is very similar to hydraulic oil sensor but will cause this problem

If still low oil pressure, then you need to take the side of the engine cover and replace the oil pump

The video shows the guy doing that

I cleaned the area on the machine, inspected the wires going to the oil pressure sensor

the tasks in order of importance I would do if i was going to fix it:

1. get a good oil pressure sensor, 2. Get a manual gauge to check oil pressure, 3. change oil pump

tasks in order of importance

haymaker

I personally would never say "I will fix your machine"!
I might say "I will attempt to fix your machine" but that's about as far as I would go out on a limb.
I will, could cost you a months work and thousands of dollars.
Just sayin.

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

oil sensor.jpeg
pressurefine.jpeg
liftvalveflashing.jpeg
liftvalveflashing2.jpeg

Update on the T190 turbo:

Took off oil pressure sensor, connected manual gauge

Pressure reading when cold: 45 psi

Pressure reading when hot: 32 psi

Pressure is fine, maybe sensor or wiring is faulty

Now another problem:

The two pictures showing the flashing lift tilt shows a fault, some kind of ground code that stops the bucket from moving

Machine when cold: lift/tilt will work for 25 minutes, then locks up

Never works when hot

Someone know how this system works and if I can bypass it, it would be appreciated

foton

all these problems might be related to one wiring harness location issue. but as a opinion those oil pressure numbers are ok but not great. but the engine will not sieze with them., just as a idea disconnect the oil pressure sending unit and see what the skid steer gauge reads should be zero if it reads anything that will tell you of a electrical fault.

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

all these problems might be related to one wiring harness location issue. but as a opinion those oil pressure numbers are ok but not great. but the engine will not sieze with them., just as a idea disconnect the oil pressure sending unit and see what the skid steer gauge reads should be zero if it reads anything that will tell you of a electrical fault.

You think the lift/tilt is wiring harness issue? Where is the location of this issue, near the engine or under the cab? How can I test this? Or better yet, how can I unplug the sensor and let the machine be able to lift / tilt?

I was reading pressure should be 48 psi, the machine will do 45 when cold, then will drop to around 32 psi when fully hot. Those numbers should be fine from what that guy said in the video who was having the same problem.

The one thing that would help me: how can I disengage the lift/tilt locking system so that it does not lock up?

The main thing that eases my mind is that there is fresh new oil going to the top of that engine, with sufficient pressure

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

Please explain that lift/tilt system, how does it work? What is the point of it? Why is there separate locking systems for the tracks/bucket? Where is the location of this issue?

The owner did show me this sensor being bad

sensor.jpeg

This sensor is located under the seat, under the cab, there is hydraulic lines etc

the owner said this sensor could be the problem

I tried to plugging it in, unplugging it, I tried a wire to put into the harness that goes into it,

Nothing worked. Lift/Tilt only works when machine is cold.

Here's a video of what I am talking about, same issue, same exact problem and the general location of where the owner told me to look

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joesmith123

sensorproblem.jpeg
sensor problem 2.jpeg

Machine is locked up, fully stuck in a pit

Usually, when it is cold, the machine can lift/tilt, but at this moment, lift tilt fully locked

I cannot get it out of the pit because the bucket is locked

Pictures: Sensor location under cab, tried fixing old sensor, didnt work, tried putting in new sensor that does not fit into the hole but will take the wires, still lift tilt flashing

Anyone know how can bypass this situation so I can get the machine out of the pit?

It nees to be picked up in a couple days, and needs to be moved

I am working on the machine and watching yalls replies because I need solution asap

thanks

here is some directions I found about disabling the BICS system:

If it's in your way, as you say it is, to TEMPORARILY bypass the BICS, raise the cab and look at the valve block. There should be a solenoid valve in it and a wire going to it, with a plastic warning tag on it. Unplug the wire, and hook the portion going to the solenoid to a 12V hot and ground.

Basically give the solenoid power and see what happens

What is the easiest way to conduct this test? I will now go and put power to those two ends on the old solenoid, I will run temporary wires to the battery and see what she does

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joesmith123

powertosoenoid.jpeg

Ok this is where I am at, trying to put 12 volt power to the solenoid, does not work

Please someone give advice: How can we free the bucket so it come up, then I can back the machine to where it needs to go

The machine is stuck, I cant get it out of the pit, and its getting picked up soon

I'm guessing: loosen a hydraulic line, but I dont know which one

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

Here's a possible solution that bypasses the BICS system

From what I understand: He hooked up relay that powers something in the control module

3 solenoids that power the lift tilt going into a relay, then that sends power to module telling it that everything is ok

If someone can walk me through this, it would be appreciated

OP
OP
J

joesmith123

bics solenoid1.jpeg
bicssolenoid2.jpeg
bicssolenoid3.jpeg
bicssolenoid4.jpeg
BICS_troubleshoot_chart_zpssgu3gxbn.jpeg

I am under the driver seat doing electrical diagnosis

Voltage going to BICS solenoid, 4 volts

There is ONE FLASH on the dash for the lift tilt fault

Please help, machine is stuck and needs to be picked up

I put 12 volt power to it like the video showed, except without relay, didnt work, it says in the attached diagram that BICS voltage is lower than 12 volt