Bobcat Owners Beware!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jmatt20

My advice is to get a laywer, going to be cheaper than the 8 grand to replace the motor. If you have a printout of the trouble codes from hour 1 on this machine then it is up to Bobcat to prove that you somehow did something else to the machine to get out of warranty on the machine. If you have not done so already write down a quick summarry of all discussions with your dealer as well as keep copies of any and all corraspondence, if the dealer ever asks to see copies of anything make sure that you always have a copy kept to yourself before you hand anything over to them. Also if you have to sign any work orders add to it beside your signature that you are only signing to acknowledge receiving the machine or parts and not accepting responsibility for any damages. I learned this stuff the hard way, not with Bobcat but other vehicles. The local Bobcat dealer has pissed me off bad enough already that after only 1 year with my machine I already take it elsewhere. Good luck
bump up to the top ..i'm very interested in how this works out ..i hope the poster can stop by and fill us in on how this is playing out ...

OP
OP
N

nightlighter

bump up to the top ..i'm very interested in how this works out ..i hope the poster can stop by and fill us in on how this is playing out ...
Here is what happened. The dealer - Thermo King of Albert Lea MN - did nothing. Bobcat did nothing. They put a new motor in and called and said it needs a turbo - metal from the rod bearings smoked the turbo bearings - NO, REALLY - very incompetent mechanics!! Total bill = $9200.00 I refused to pay the bill - now Thermo King owns my machine. THIS REALLY SUCKS!! I owed approx $18,000 on the loan - equity down the drain. I initially bought a S175 - wanted more power so trade for this S185. I have been making payments for 3 1/2 years and now have NOTHING! I ordered a new J.D. 320D yesterday - you REALLY need to check out all the new improvements from Deere - and I know they will stand behind their product. I will never have a white piece of shit on my property again! Tim

Tazza

Staff member
Here is what happened. The dealer - Thermo King of Albert Lea MN - did nothing. Bobcat did nothing. They put a new motor in and called and said it needs a turbo - metal from the rod bearings smoked the turbo bearings - NO, REALLY - very incompetent mechanics!! Total bill = $9200.00 I refused to pay the bill - now Thermo King owns my machine. THIS REALLY SUCKS!! I owed approx $18,000 on the loan - equity down the drain. I initially bought a S175 - wanted more power so trade for this S185. I have been making payments for 3 1/2 years and now have NOTHING! I ordered a new J.D. 320D yesterday - you REALLY need to check out all the new improvements from Deere - and I know they will stand behind their product. I will never have a white piece of shit on my property again! Tim
Have you talked to lawyers? there is no way they can just install an engine without your OK first.
The other thing is, so the bearings were burnt, that does not mean a new crank, centre main bearings and rod bearings wouldn't have fixed it for say $1,000.
I'm glad you named the dealer, now all the other members know to stay far away from them!

gtstang462002

Have you talked to lawyers? there is no way they can just install an engine without your OK first.
The other thing is, so the bearings were burnt, that does not mean a new crank, centre main bearings and rod bearings wouldn't have fixed it for say $1,000.
I'm glad you named the dealer, now all the other members know to stay far away from them!
I agree, a crank kit would have been a much cheaper route.

gtstang462002

Nightlighter, I would watch what is said about deere standing behind their products, A friend of mine has a 325 that had a cam gear retainer bolt come loose at 530hours and take out an entire engine refused to stand behind it. This was supposed to be an industrial machine that should go well over 5000 hours between overhauls and barley made it a 10th of the way....

turbomoparboy

Nightlighter, I would watch what is said about deere standing behind their products, A friend of mine has a 325 that had a cam gear retainer bolt come loose at 530hours and take out an entire engine refused to stand behind it. This was supposed to be an industrial machine that should go well over 5000 hours between overhauls and barley made it a 10th of the way....
It's lilke everything out there is junk anymore. CAT had problems with the Perkins breaking the oil pump and taking out the bearings. From what I understand they were replacing the engines if it was still under warranty. I have heard about the Yanmar's having headgasket issues.

Tazza

Staff member
It's lilke everything out there is junk anymore. CAT had problems with the Perkins breaking the oil pump and taking out the bearings. From what I understand they were replacing the engines if it was still under warranty. I have heard about the Yanmar's having headgasket issues.
Nightlighter - my dad made an interesting suggestion, talk to Kubota. I'd explain what has happened and see if they can do anything, it is one of their engines.
I know if this happened to me i'd be furious too...

waggles

Nightlighter - my dad made an interesting suggestion, talk to Kubota. I'd explain what has happened and see if they can do anything, it is one of their engines.
I know if this happened to me i'd be furious too...
Are these kubota engines the 2.2 ltr versions or the new 2.5 ltr direct injection engines?

JimC

nightlighter, you are a better (or milder) man than me. If I were in your position I would be slamming bobcat, the dealer, and kabota all over the boards like this one until they started to loose business from it, or they just got tired of seeing it. At the very least you can post links to this message on other boards. If what you are saying is true, you have been given the royal shaft, I would be talking to an attorney. JIm