Bobcat gossip

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcatdan

I hear talk that there very well maybe a new gas skidsteer in the works. It would be in the new 500 M series coming hopefully by the end of the year. 500s are replacing S130 threw S205 and comparable track machines. Other then model numbers, I have not seen any specs on the new ones.

Tazza

Staff member
If that is true, any ideas on why they want to make the move away from diesel?
Could it be to get away with the new tier standards? I see advantages if so, but diesels seem to last longer and get better economy.

Bandit1047

Could it be to get away with the new tier standards? I see advantages if so, but diesels seem to last longer and get better economy.
There have been great improvements in gas engine design with fuel economy, horse power & torque in recent years. With diesel prices higher than gas, it may be a good move. If you run the numbers on purchasing a new truck; Dodge ram with diesel option. The diesel option is $7,000. dollars and at .50 cents per gallon more for diesel, the break even is a long way down the road. If you factor in the use of that $7,000.00 dollars, it gets even longer.

OP
OP
B

Bobcatdan

I think two things, with the new emissions, prices are going to jump. A tier 3 S850 is already a $60,000 to $70,000 machine, I bet a $5,000 price jump minum. There is new maintance coming with the new engines, fuel filters are triple the current price. Also with the new interest in CNG, I would think there would be a CNG version. Basically, a lower price. Gas pick up trucks are starting to make a comback, with higer fuel cost and diesels being a $10,000 option now a days. This may just be a rumor, but I heard it from the factory sales rep. I just wonder what engine they would use?

OP
OP
B

Bobcatdan

I think two things, with the new emissions, prices are going to jump. A tier 3 S850 is already a $60,000 to $70,000 machine, I bet a $5,000 price jump minum. There is new maintance coming with the new engines, fuel filters are triple the current price. Also with the new interest in CNG, I would think there would be a CNG version. Basically, a lower price. Gas pick up trucks are starting to make a comback, with higer fuel cost and diesels being a $10,000 option now a days. This may just be a rumor, but I heard it from the factory sales rep. I just wonder what engine they would use?
Don't misunderstand me, diesels will still be the main engines, this sounds like this would be an option on one or two machines.

Tazza

Staff member
Don't misunderstand me, diesels will still be the main engines, this sounds like this would be an option on one or two machines.
It still sounds interesting. Time will tell which way they decide to go.
They no doubt will be fuel injected, so hopefully the cold blooded issues that were had with the older engines will be a thing of the past.
I too would be interested to see what engine they go with.

Fishfiles

It still sounds interesting. Time will tell which way they decide to go.
They no doubt will be fuel injected, so hopefully the cold blooded issues that were had with the older engines will be a thing of the past.
I too would be interested to see what engine they go with.
talking about the Cummins diesel in the Dodge , I replaced my 2006 Ford 350 Superduty with an 11ft utility body which was getting 8 miles per gallon ( it was getting 11 mpg new and loaded light ) , I got a Dodge 4500 with a 6.7 turbo Cummins with 14 foot of utility bed and it is loaded down , the highest I have achieved on the highway and keeping my foot out of it is 15.8 , I cut my fuel bill in half , I travel a lot and was burning on average $80 per day with the Ford , thats $400 a week ( 5 days ) as I never work on the weekends , I figure I am saving $200 a week on fuel , 52 weeks in the year is $10,400 , the Ford was paid out and my note is $600 for the Dodge , so I make $200 a week driving the Dodge figuring I save $800 a month on fuel , the 4500 Dodge has a 52 gallon tank with $4 per gallon diesel when I run it down to the low fuel light it takes $200 to fill it up which is ludicris , the fuel filter on that engine is $50 and it is a very different hy tech looking filter ----------another thing is oil changes , the Dodge owners manuel says if you use sythetic oil you can go 15, 000 miles on a oil change , which I don't , I am going 10,000 , the Ford was 5,000 ---------- so if you can cut your fuel bill substainsaly it doesn't take long to recoup the investment

Des

talking about the Cummins diesel in the Dodge , I replaced my 2006 Ford 350 Superduty with an 11ft utility body which was getting 8 miles per gallon ( it was getting 11 mpg new and loaded light ) , I got a Dodge 4500 with a 6.7 turbo Cummins with 14 foot of utility bed and it is loaded down , the highest I have achieved on the highway and keeping my foot out of it is 15.8 , I cut my fuel bill in half , I travel a lot and was burning on average $80 per day with the Ford , thats $400 a week ( 5 days ) as I never work on the weekends , I figure I am saving $200 a week on fuel , 52 weeks in the year is $10,400 , the Ford was paid out and my note is $600 for the Dodge , so I make $200 a week driving the Dodge figuring I save $800 a month on fuel , the 4500 Dodge has a 52 gallon tank with $4 per gallon diesel when I run it down to the low fuel light it takes $200 to fill it up which is ludicris , the fuel filter on that engine is $50 and it is a very different hy tech looking filter ----------another thing is oil changes , the Dodge owners manuel says if you use sythetic oil you can go 15, 000 miles on a oil change , which I don't , I am going 10,000 , the Ford was 5,000 ---------- so if you can cut your fuel bill substainsaly it doesn't take long to recoup the investment
Im running 2005 F350 Superduty 7.3L in Western Australia, Its used as my field service truck,weight is 6.5 ton, I average between 12MPG to 15MPG how heavy was your F350?

Fishfiles

Im running 2005 F350 Superduty 7.3L in Western Australia, Its used as my field service truck,weight is 6.5 ton, I average between 12MPG to 15MPG how heavy was your F350?
the truck had 16,000 lb plates on it and it was over weight a few times , I'd didn't think the 7.3 was still around in 2005 , maybe it was not in the USA and only overseas , I had a 1991 7.3 F450 and it didn't get good fuel milage but was a dependable engine that never gave me any trouble , Katrina flooded that one or I would probally still have it , the engines after the 7.3 like the 6.0 and the 6.4 seem to be been nothing but trouble , everyone I know that had a Ford diesel after the 7.3 has had problems with it , and the cab has to be lifted off the frame to do any serious work to the engine , personally I would never buy another Ford truck

Des

the truck had 16,000 lb plates on it and it was over weight a few times , I'd didn't think the 7.3 was still around in 2005 , maybe it was not in the USA and only overseas , I had a 1991 7.3 F450 and it didn't get good fuel milage but was a dependable engine that never gave me any trouble , Katrina flooded that one or I would probally still have it , the engines after the 7.3 like the 6.0 and the 6.4 seem to be been nothing but trouble , everyone I know that had a Ford diesel after the 7.3 has had problems with it , and the cab has to be lifted off the frame to do any serious work to the engine , personally I would never buy another Ford truck
My 2005 f350 is built in Brazil and sold my Ford Australia, I think it the same mod as the 1999 in the USA. Sad to hear that the 6.0L & 6.4L are no good,have you heard much about the ford 6.7L ? Im thinking about upgrading to a F550.My 7.3L has been the best truck Ive had,Plenty of power,not bad on fuel, never lets me down, Its done about 240000KM

Sam_French

My 2005 f350 is built in Brazil and sold my Ford Australia, I think it the same mod as the 1999 in the USA. Sad to hear that the 6.0L & 6.4L are no good,have you heard much about the ford 6.7L ? Im thinking about upgrading to a F550.My 7.3L has been the best truck Ive had,Plenty of power,not bad on fuel, never lets me down, Its done about 240000KM
I think it is great to see Bobcat or any manufacturer to give powerplant options. EFI solves so many problems with gas motors. Would be nice to see a propane option as well. Having to admit I am a fan of E85 and mix it in my daily drivers. Regards, Sam