Bobcat Clark 720 - My new (old) toy broke - No Movement?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ChandlerW

The splines on the shaft and the coupler look pretty worn to me. I'd replace both of those (if you can get them new) and the u-joint. The motor plate mounts you see remains of are rubber pads with large washers. If those aren't available new, you might be able to fabricate them from chucks of old tires. If I remember right correctly, those were about 3/4" thick on my M700. They are tricky to position when you slide the motor mounted on the plate back into the machine. I think I ended up sliding mine back in without those in place, then I used a short pry-bar to lift each side and insert the mounts. There were some hard lines on the right side that made that procedure even more difficult. And then tightening the bolts without a helper was a whole 'nother challenge :)
Got any pictures of the machine? I'm messing with a 722 right now.

OP
OP
S

SteamNSteer

Well team, I got the motor out, and no more snakes. Lots of Dirt, sticks, oil and mess. The actual uJoint looks good except for where it mates with the pump. That part looks wallered out. Also on the pump, it looks a little worn. When I took the motor off, I seen what I am going to call the motor pan, a big piece of metal the motor bolted to. It was just flopping around. I have no idea how a human is supposed to put nuts and bolts into that, as i couldn't fit. But I was able to simply lift it up. I guess the nuts vibrated off, and I am suspecting there is some type of rubber piece that fits in the wholes, although there are just tiny reminders of it. My guess is that these bushings or mounts wore down over 30 years, and allowed the motor pan to slide forward enough to allow slipping and wallering out. So, I'll pick up the new u-joint yall talked about, but looking at the picture do you think i need the piece that goes on the pump as well? Also need to find the little bushings/rubber mounts, and while im at it, I think i will replace the alternator belt, as it looks easy to do now rather than later. Lastly, I seen a huge white filter(i think) directly below the pump, Im guessing that should probably be replaced as well. Thanks guys, highly appreciated!!!.
http://imageshack.com/a/img812/4199/9u7u.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/821/5g7k.jpg
Hey All, well it looks like Winter may be over here in Missouri, although it was 24 last night. Anyway I got all my parts in and ready to put this thing back together. I went looking for the gas tank, and removed the floor plate, but.... no gas tank, couldn't find it. I knew the gas went somewhere when i poured it in, but it was a mystery. Time for a scooby snack and some sloothing. I finally figured out there was about 13 inches of dirt and debris hiding it. Got the ol shop vac and started sucking out the dirt, there was so much in there, it was like working in an dig site. Different layers of strata the lower I went. First leaves, then dirt. Next came regular gravel. Going deeper i found some white stuff that looked like coral, no idea what it was. On down, a layer of what I believe is coal, yep coal. Must be from West Virginia. Finally at the very bottom, about 2" of grey clay, at least i think that is what it was, or a decomposed Roswell Alien. Then Eureka! I finally found the gas tank, there it was, in all its rusty glory. During that process, I emptied 3 of the large shop vacs full of stuff. I found a screwdriver, paring knife (maybe they cut up apples while cat'n around) some steel woolish material, some poly fiber stuffing stuff, 2 springs, broken glass, white coral and a little tiny glass bottle that said Burrett's Liquid Color. No wonder the gas gauge didn't work, there is no wire going to it, and it is rusted all to hell. I wanted to take it out, but it looks to be a daunting task. I think i will just steam clean it, and put rust inhibitor stuff on it, and gauge my fuel level like i did before....It just runs out ;-) So then mother nature decides we haven't had enough rain in a while, and dumps over an inch overnight, and I discovered there was no drain holes below that plate where all the dirt was. I have a new mini swim'n pool. So I got the drill, and made me one, draining that pool of rainbow colored water. So, now, its time to finally replace the Spline drive on the Hydraulic Pump. I have no Clue how to do that. I have a copy of the dealers service manual, and they leave that part out. They show me how to change the piston rings in the dam engine, how to fill up the hydraulic system with air for testing, and how to test the voltage regulator, but not a hint at removing that little sprocket. So, Does anyone have a guess? The new one is threaded, and has a keyway. The old one I don't know. I took the center bolt out, but can't figure it out. No keyway that I can see so far. Whats yalls best guess, i don't want to break anything, so the big hammer stays away for now. One funny thing, the manual also said, "to remove the blower shroud, you must remove the flywheel". Well, that was news to me, as i somehow got it off while the flywheel is still on. Guess I should have read the manual first. The other interesting thing while reading the manual, The lever I thought was a brake is shown as a High/Low speed selector. On my Right hand side behind the throttle. I just thought the brakes didn't work. So now, i wonder where the brakes are? Thanks guys! I have some pics coming soon, as soon as i find another hosting site, I ain't paying nobody to host pics. Cheers!

antfarmer2

Hey All, well it looks like Winter may be over here in Missouri, although it was 24 last night. Anyway I got all my parts in and ready to put this thing back together. I went looking for the gas tank, and removed the floor plate, but.... no gas tank, couldn't find it. I knew the gas went somewhere when i poured it in, but it was a mystery. Time for a scooby snack and some sloothing. I finally figured out there was about 13 inches of dirt and debris hiding it. Got the ol shop vac and started sucking out the dirt, there was so much in there, it was like working in an dig site. Different layers of strata the lower I went. First leaves, then dirt. Next came regular gravel. Going deeper i found some white stuff that looked like coral, no idea what it was. On down, a layer of what I believe is coal, yep coal. Must be from West Virginia. Finally at the very bottom, about 2" of grey clay, at least i think that is what it was, or a decomposed Roswell Alien. Then Eureka! I finally found the gas tank, there it was, in all its rusty glory. During that process, I emptied 3 of the large shop vacs full of stuff. I found a screwdriver, paring knife (maybe they cut up apples while cat'n around) some steel woolish material, some poly fiber stuffing stuff, 2 springs, broken glass, white coral and a little tiny glass bottle that said Burrett's Liquid Color. No wonder the gas gauge didn't work, there is no wire going to it, and it is rusted all to hell. I wanted to take it out, but it looks to be a daunting task. I think i will just steam clean it, and put rust inhibitor stuff on it, and gauge my fuel level like i did before....It just runs out ;-) So then mother nature decides we haven't had enough rain in a while, and dumps over an inch overnight, and I discovered there was no drain holes below that plate where all the dirt was. I have a new mini swim'n pool. So I got the drill, and made me one, draining that pool of rainbow colored water. So, now, its time to finally replace the Spline drive on the Hydraulic Pump. I have no Clue how to do that. I have a copy of the dealers service manual, and they leave that part out. They show me how to change the piston rings in the dam engine, how to fill up the hydraulic system with air for testing, and how to test the voltage regulator, but not a hint at removing that little sprocket. So, Does anyone have a guess? The new one is threaded, and has a keyway. The old one I don't know. I took the center bolt out, but can't figure it out. No keyway that I can see so far. Whats yalls best guess, i don't want to break anything, so the big hammer stays away for now. One funny thing, the manual also said, "to remove the blower shroud, you must remove the flywheel". Well, that was news to me, as i somehow got it off while the flywheel is still on. Guess I should have read the manual first. The other interesting thing while reading the manual, The lever I thought was a brake is shown as a High/Low speed selector. On my Right hand side behind the throttle. I just thought the brakes didn't work. So now, i wonder where the brakes are? Thanks guys! I have some pics coming soon, as soon as i find another hosting site, I ain't paying nobody to host pics. Cheers!
You have to get good hold of it some how and get some pressure on it then give it a rap one the loosened bolt should pop off be sure to put blue lock tight on it

antfarmer2

You have to get good hold of it some how and get some pressure on it then give it a rap one the loosened bolt should pop off be sure to put blue lock tight on it
And whatch the new bolts on the ujointsI had some that were a bit to long and would put it in a bind lock tight them to

Tazza

Staff member
On my 743 I had to grind down a puller to fit in there yours looks tighter
I have removed a few of them with a puller as antfarmer said. Sometimes you need to grind a leg to get it to fit. I put it on, tighten up and give the screw a sharp hit with a hammer to get it to release. Never strike the splines, they are brittle and if it splits, you need a new one.
It uses a taper to hold on, that's why you need the puller and shock it off.

kilohertz

I have removed a few of them with a puller as antfarmer said. Sometimes you need to grind a leg to get it to fit. I put it on, tighten up and give the screw a sharp hit with a hammer to get it to release. Never strike the splines, they are brittle and if it splits, you need a new one.
It uses a taper to hold on, that's why you need the puller and shock it off.
These units don't have breaks per se, except for the parking brake, long lever on the left with red handle. The hydrostatic drives when in neutral, are your brakes. When the levers are neither forward or reverse, and the machine is stationary, you will have a hard time moving it. Yes, that short lever beside the throttle is the 2 speed lever, lo/high.
I have the identical machine. Keep us posted on your progress. Mine is running great so far and has had major work done, to the tune of $7000 in drive work, chains etc before I bought it.Let's hope they did the coupler and u-joints. I do however have to pull the engine for a rebuild someday...she's running on 3.5 cyclinders. One has a sticky valve, or maybe just needs adjusting. I bought it cheap as it wasn't running and had an exhaust valve jammed open. Managed to free it and run it but compression isn't over 50 psi.
Good luck!
Paul

720cat

Well team, I got the motor out, and no more snakes. Lots of Dirt, sticks, oil and mess. The actual uJoint looks good except for where it mates with the pump. That part looks wallered out. Also on the pump, it looks a little worn. When I took the motor off, I seen what I am going to call the motor pan, a big piece of metal the motor bolted to. It was just flopping around. I have no idea how a human is supposed to put nuts and bolts into that, as i couldn't fit. But I was able to simply lift it up. I guess the nuts vibrated off, and I am suspecting there is some type of rubber piece that fits in the wholes, although there are just tiny reminders of it. My guess is that these bushings or mounts wore down over 30 years, and allowed the motor pan to slide forward enough to allow slipping and wallering out. So, I'll pick up the new u-joint yall talked about, but looking at the picture do you think i need the piece that goes on the pump as well? Also need to find the little bushings/rubber mounts, and while im at it, I think i will replace the alternator belt, as it looks easy to do now rather than later. Lastly, I seen a huge white filter(i think) directly below the pump, Im guessing that should probably be replaced as well. Thanks guys, highly appreciated!!!.
http://imageshack.com/a/img812/4199/9u7u.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/821/5g7k.jpg
I have same probl3m with adapter, minus snake. Could you tell me where you got parts .lve been looking and cant seem to find any

Latest posts