Bobcat 873 Parts and Service Help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lawn4me

In dire need of help pertaining to our Bobcat 873 unit. Being in a rural area we have no dealer with exception of over 200 miles away. We have had (3) so called diesal mechanics that has misdianosed unit and have already spent over a $1000. The parts we need are fuel cap, muffler, air filter housing, key switch, possible turbo, and rebuild kit. The turbo was recommended from one mechanic, but not the other. The build kit, the same. The problem we had was, the unit sit for roughly 8 months then went to use unit and very hard to start, when running the unit would have alot of black smoke, then when increasing throttle, unit dies out and will not start back. We was told there was oil from the unit where the muffler goes. The unit is a 2002 with about 2000 hours, was purchased brand new and ran fine uo until the above problems. Any help is more than greatly appreciated. Looking for any companies that sell aftermarket parts and any gurus with knowledge or recommendations. Thanks in advance

skidsteer.ca

Well the turbo won't affect the starting, Can you still hear it spool down in the exhaust when you shut it off. Sounds like you have a fuel problem. Black smoke when running can be the turbo, but usually only under engine load. Running free the engine gets no boost from the turbo anyay.
However if the smoke is blue, it is engine oil and that can e failed sals in the turbo.
Can also be restricted air filters, a bad injector, injection pump You have changed the filters and made sure the intake track in not full of a mouse nest or etc?
Just curius, if you need a air filter housing, what happen to the old one and how ong was it removed?
Skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
L

lawn4me

Well the turbo won't affect the starting, Can you still hear it spool down in the exhaust when you shut it off. Sounds like you have a fuel problem. Black smoke when running can be the turbo, but usually only under engine load. Running free the engine gets no boost from the turbo anyay.
However if the smoke is blue, it is engine oil and that can e failed sals in the turbo.
Can also be restricted air filters, a bad injector, injection pump You have changed the filters and made sure the intake track in not full of a mouse nest or etc?
Just curius, if you need a air filter housing, what happen to the old one and how ong was it removed?
Skidsteer.ca
The housing melted. No fire, but was told alot of heat from either no muffler one that has rusted extensively. It had been removed roughly 2 months before problems, it is still attached with the filter in it, but no cap. Thanks a million for at least responding, being a newbie assumed people would not respond so thanks again.

wd2011

The housing melted. No fire, but was told alot of heat from either no muffler one that has rusted extensively. It had been removed roughly 2 months before problems, it is still attached with the filter in it, but no cap. Thanks a million for at least responding, being a newbie assumed people would not respond so thanks again.
Let me start by saying I feel your pain. I bought a 873 this summer that sounds like it was in about the same condition yours is, but probably and hopefully worse than what yours is. I will spare you the scare of what I have put in to mine and what all we have done, but when I bought it there was no muffler, the air cleaner housing was melted down to the tube that goes to the turbo with the inner air cleaner stuffed in it. The turbo and intake manifold was coked in oil. And that is just the beginning. But when I got it it would not start at all, it would just turn over and over without a cough. Long story short my problem all along was no compression due to severely worn piston rings. But the most common problems with these deutz engines are blown headgasket and timing belt. We did have one clogged injector but that wasn't keeping the engine from firing.
Memoparts is a great resource for parts for these engines. They are out of Texas and have excellent prices. Just get the Engine Model number and serial number (motor number) off of the serial tag on the valve cover, call them up and they can generally get what you need. But they just have the engine parts. Muffler, air cleaner, and items like that are all OEM based, ie. Bobcat, so Memo won't have them.
I'm happy to share any of my new found knowledge from my 873 rebuild project, just understand I won't always have an immediate response. I will try to get back within a couple of days though.
Others may chime in on other things to check, but my best recommendation is to do a compression check upfront and go from there. I wish I had. Anything you can do to keep from just throwing parts at it will save you money. But a head gasket and timing belt kit may be a good place to start if all else fails. Memo only has MLS style head gaskets, so if you suspect any imperfections in the cylinder block deck or head I would stick with trying to find a fiber style. You will also need to know the number of notches in one of the corners of your existing gasket. Good Luck!

OP
OP
L

lawn4me

Let me start by saying I feel your pain. I bought a 873 this summer that sounds like it was in about the same condition yours is, but probably and hopefully worse than what yours is. I will spare you the scare of what I have put in to mine and what all we have done, but when I bought it there was no muffler, the air cleaner housing was melted down to the tube that goes to the turbo with the inner air cleaner stuffed in it. The turbo and intake manifold was coked in oil. And that is just the beginning. But when I got it it would not start at all, it would just turn over and over without a cough. Long story short my problem all along was no compression due to severely worn piston rings. But the most common problems with these deutz engines are blown headgasket and timing belt. We did have one clogged injector but that wasn't keeping the engine from firing.
Memoparts is a great resource for parts for these engines. They are out of Texas and have excellent prices. Just get the Engine Model number and serial number (motor number) off of the serial tag on the valve cover, call them up and they can generally get what you need. But they just have the engine parts. Muffler, air cleaner, and items like that are all OEM based, ie. Bobcat, so Memo won't have them.
I'm happy to share any of my new found knowledge from my 873 rebuild project, just understand I won't always have an immediate response. I will try to get back within a couple of days though.
Others may chime in on other things to check, but my best recommendation is to do a compression check upfront and go from there. I wish I had. Anything you can do to keep from just throwing parts at it will save you money. But a head gasket and timing belt kit may be a good place to start if all else fails. Memo only has MLS style head gaskets, so if you suspect any imperfections in the cylinder block deck or head I would stick with trying to find a fiber style. You will also need to know the number of notches in one of the corners of your existing gasket. Good Luck!
Thanks so much for the reply, ours ran fine, then sit for about 8 months. Was actually able to use the unit to remove some stumps, on the way back up an incline, black smoke came roaring out and then she just died. Thanks again

OP
OP
L

lawn4me

Thanks so much for the reply, ours ran fine, then sit for about 8 months. Was actually able to use the unit to remove some stumps, on the way back up an incline, black smoke came roaring out and then she just died. Thanks again
wd2011, I may be totally off base, blame it on being a newbie so I do apologise if I am not suppose to ask for this. Do you have any service manuals, parts, or repair manuals ect. Since dad passed away these things are nowhere to be found. I would be willing to pay for the information. As stated before we have no dealers whatsoever around here. Thanks again for the recent reply. Any special tool for checking the compression or any recommendations? Wished I had the knowledge you have.

donald73d

wd2011, I may be totally off base, blame it on being a newbie so I do apologise if I am not suppose to ask for this. Do you have any service manuals, parts, or repair manuals ect. Since dad passed away these things are nowhere to be found. I would be willing to pay for the information. As stated before we have no dealers whatsoever around here. Thanks again for the recent reply. Any special tool for checking the compression or any recommendations? Wished I had the knowledge you have.
Contact Old Machinist and see what he has in the way of manuals.

siduramaxde

Contact Old Machinist and see what he has in the way of manuals.
If it was running fine and then black smoke and died I would say timing belt. This is exactly what happened to mine. It was running fine then it had lots of black smoke and then died and would not restart. It was the timing belt (and bent push rods).

brijr77

i think i have the manuals u need. parts and repair. i think its the manuals that covers serial number 51414001 and higher. I can look things up for u if needed. i bought them both off ebay.

OP
OP
L

lawn4me

i think i have the manuals u need. parts and repair. i think its the manuals that covers serial number 51414001 and higher. I can look things up for u if needed. i bought them both off ebay.
I would worry you to death with questions. I am so illiterate when it comes to this machine that I would be more worrisome than you can imagine. I'm looking to find the timing belt now.

siduramaxde

I would worry you to death with questions. I am so illiterate when it comes to this machine that I would be more worrisome than you can imagine. I'm looking to find the timing belt now.
The timing belt is pretty covered up. It is on the same side of the motor as the alternator. There is a panel that covers it but I believe it has a special bolt to take it off

wd2011

Sorry for the lengthy delay, I did not expect to be away from a computer for a week through the holidays. I do have a service manual and a good many parts schematics sent to me from my bobcat dealer. There is a special tool to check the compression. It replaces the fuel injector to test. I ordered directly from SPX OCT tools and cost me $135. And I still had to modify it by threading the end of it to thread a schrader valve and coupler to it that would connect to a compression tester.
Timing belt would be a cheaper place to start, if you check it and find slack or damage in the belt that would be a likely culprit. If you do find problems there you will also need to check the pushrods because if the timing belt goes it is common to bend them.Your profile does not appear to be complete otherwise I could email you the excerpt from the manual on the timing belt service. If you have to do the service, the timing belt kit was about $80 from Memoparts this summer and the timing pins are available on ebay for $50. Just search for deutz 1011 and it's one of the first items to come up.
As for the documentation I have, I myself am not exactly sure on the protocol for sharing materials. I don't mind sending excerpts but im not sure the limitations to the full copywrited material. I'm not sure if I can just send it to you or if it would even be ok to charge you a small fee for it, I would have to let the moderators make a call on that one. But the manuals are available through ebay and if you're careful you can find some distributed downloads for a small fee.

memphisdoug

I have an 873 also and have had to get OEM parts a couple of times. There are a couple dealers in my area but both are about 50 miles away so not a drive I really want to make. I have found that if I call them up and tell them what I need we are usually able to take care of ordering the parts right over the phone. There have been a couple of times where they emailed me a parts diagram to make sure we were talking the same part. Once ordered, Bobcat will ship the parts right to your house very quickly and at a reasonable cost. The shipping cost is always less than what the gas would cost me to drive to the dealer. Just go to the Bobcat website, find your nearest dealer and give them a call.

hydrostatic

I have an 873 also and have had to get OEM parts a couple of times. There are a couple dealers in my area but both are about 50 miles away so not a drive I really want to make. I have found that if I call them up and tell them what I need we are usually able to take care of ordering the parts right over the phone. There have been a couple of times where they emailed me a parts diagram to make sure we were talking the same part. Once ordered, Bobcat will ship the parts right to your house very quickly and at a reasonable cost. The shipping cost is always less than what the gas would cost me to drive to the dealer. Just go to the Bobcat website, find your nearest dealer and give them a call.
when a machine sits long then maybe the hydrolik system is stuk posible the solenoides for auxilery try to jump the flushface conectors on the front of the arm when the are stuk when starting ,the machine will smoke havely black to see if the belt broke untighten a injector line and start if there is no diesel 50 % the belt is broke (not so probebly)or no diesel present in system if you are starting the engine now is there smoke? jump the aux if it stil smoke's black undo the pump belt so there is no hydrolik present (when it starts now jou wil get code low pressure) as said before turbo have noting to do with starting ,deutz is prettty good engine but 8 months is witch kind of wheater is never good moister in hydro fluid will attack the inside of the system greetings marcel

hydrostatic

when a machine sits long then maybe the hydrolik system is stuk posible the solenoides for auxilery try to jump the flushface conectors on the front of the arm when the are stuk when starting ,the machine will smoke havely black to see if the belt broke untighten a injector line and start if there is no diesel 50 % the belt is broke (not so probebly)or no diesel present in system if you are starting the engine now is there smoke? jump the aux if it stil smoke's black undo the pump belt so there is no hydrolik present (when it starts now jou wil get code low pressure) as said before turbo have noting to do with starting ,deutz is prettty good engine but 8 months is witch kind of wheater is never good moister in hydro fluid will attack the inside of the system greetings marcel
one thing do the headgaskets of this engine is not that good check oil level its an oil cooled engine and somtimes the headgasket just break

OP
OP
L

lawn4me

one thing do the headgaskets of this engine is not that good check oil level its an oil cooled engine and somtimes the headgasket just break
I know this may sound completely stupid on my part but I can not find the timing belt. Any help for this dummy is always appreciated.

hydrostatic

I know this may sound completely stupid on my part but I can not find the timing belt. Any help for this dummy is always appreciated.
its looking you in da face rear door right side bihind plastic cover just above the throttel cabel