Bobcat 863 cut off problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gotta bobcat 863. when I fill it up and run it, it will run for about 30 minutes then shut off. When i try to restart it, it spits and sputters for 10 seconds then cuts off. If I fill it back up it will keep running for another 30 minutes. another mechanic said it was my fuel filter. replaced that and still got the same problem...any ideas?

mrfixitpaul

Probably the fuel pickup tube in the tank has broken off. Follow the line back from the primer bulb to the top of the fuel tank, pop the line out and take a look.

skidsteer.ca

Is anything else needed to do this?
No special tools are needed but getting to the location on the tank can be a bear.
They fit in like a grommet. If its in too bad of a spot some peoples just drill a new hole in the tank in a place easier to access with the engine and pumps in the chassis
Ken

fiddlearound

No special tools are needed but getting to the location on the tank can be a bear.
They fit in like a grommet. If its in too bad of a spot some peoples just drill a new hole in the tank in a place easier to access with the engine and pumps in the chassis
Ken
Ken, that's the dang truth! I just finished putting in a new pickup tube in my 753 and had to place a 2X12 over the motor so that I could sit on top of the engine, etc. and lean over with my head pointing down, hold myself up with one hand, push the new tube in with the other and scrape all the skin off my knuckles. It's not an easy job. I think I would have drilled the new hole after reading your suggestion because that would have been much easier. The tank collapses when you try to push the intake tube grommet you can't really put any weight on the darn thing. But, the good thing is that old faithful would start and run again with a fresh supply of fuel.

skidsteer.ca

Ken, that's the dang truth! I just finished putting in a new pickup tube in my 753 and had to place a 2X12 over the motor so that I could sit on top of the engine, etc. and lean over with my head pointing down, hold myself up with one hand, push the new tube in with the other and scrape all the skin off my knuckles. It's not an easy job. I think I would have drilled the new hole after reading your suggestion because that would have been much easier. The tank collapses when you try to push the intake tube grommet you can't really put any weight on the darn thing. But, the good thing is that old faithful would start and run again with a fresh supply of fuel.
LOL, not sure why they have to do that when they build something, but they just can't help themselves!
Ken

OP
OP
C
Ken
Okay, sorry if i ask a lot of questions as i am new to working on equipment. I've removed the access panel and the only tube i am able to grasp is the filler tube. I'm not sure how to find the pickup tube. Is there something I'm not seeing?

OP
OP
C
Okay, sorry if i ask a lot of questions as i am new to working on equipment. I've removed the access panel and the only tube i am able to grasp is the filler tube. I'm not sure how to find the pickup tube. Is there something I'm not seeing?
I was finally able to locate the pickup tube. Once my hands warm back up i will go back out and remove it. Thanks for the help everyone.

OP
OP
C
Do i pull the grommet out with the line?
I just pulled the line the manual primer is attached to. Once i pulled it i continued to squeeze the ball to make sure i had the right line but it still sounds like fuel is being pumped through the system. I did feel another line just beside this line. Could i have pulled the wrong one? Also once i pulled it the end felt like it had just a fitting for a line to slide on...is this correct? Big storm coming this weekend and I'm just trying to get my machine back up and running. Sorry again for all the newbie questions.

mrfixitpaul

I just pulled the line the manual primer is attached to. Once i pulled it i continued to squeeze the ball to make sure i had the right line but it still sounds like fuel is being pumped through the system. I did feel another line just beside this line. Could i have pulled the wrong one? Also once i pulled it the end felt like it had just a fitting for a line to slide on...is this correct? Big storm coming this weekend and I'm just trying to get my machine back up and running. Sorry again for all the newbie questions.
There are 2 lines going into the tank. One is supply, which goes to the primer bulb. The other is a return line which connects to fuel return rail near air cleaner. There are 90 deg. fittings, pressed into rubber grommet, where they go into tank. The grommet usually comes out with the fitting, but when reassembling you will want to put the grommet in the tank before pushing the fitting into the grommet. Below the 90 deg fitting on the supply line needs to be a short piece of fuel line, usually clear line is used. There used to be a screen with a check valve at the borrom of the line, but I think they stopped using these on newer models. If you don't use a screen on the end, be sure to cut the bottom end of the fuel pickup hose at an angle to prevent it from possibly sticking to the inside of the tank.

OP
OP
C
There are 2 lines going into the tank. One is supply, which goes to the primer bulb. The other is a return line which connects to fuel return rail near air cleaner. There are 90 deg. fittings, pressed into rubber grommet, where they go into tank. The grommet usually comes out with the fitting, but when reassembling you will want to put the grommet in the tank before pushing the fitting into the grommet. Below the 90 deg fitting on the supply line needs to be a short piece of fuel line, usually clear line is used. There used to be a screen with a check valve at the borrom of the line, but I think they stopped using these on newer models. If you don't use a screen on the end, be sure to cut the bottom end of the fuel pickup hose at an angle to prevent it from possibly sticking to the inside of the tank.
Finally got it fixed. Got a piece of 5/16 rubber fuel line and a 1/4 inch piece of brake line and fabbed something up. As of now it's running like a champ. Thanks everyone for all of your help. Merry Christmas