bobcat 773 turbo oil pressure light comes on

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

deck60

so my machine has just shy of 4000hrs on it it has had lots of hard use but well maintained here lately I have noticed that the oil pressure light comes on so I installed a manual gauge in the cab when the light comes on the engine is warm and about 16psi ---- cold about 60psi the 16-20 psi ------ I have been running synthetic oil in for the last 3 or 4 years I bought a jug of rotella 15-40 non synthetic to try to see how it works ----- my question is what does this engine run normally and where should I shut it off and rebuild it I have a friend that is a retired engine builder and he claims a engine under normal load can live at 10psi for a long time just don't let it get lower than that under load

walio123

If those 16 psi are for idle you are still ok. Allowable limit for idle it 14 psi. Oil pressure rated rpm - 42.7 - 64 psi. Allowable limit - 36 psi. It says service manual for kubota V2003T - EB (TURBO)

Bobcatdan

If those 16 psi are for idle you are still ok. Allowable limit for idle it 14 psi. Oil pressure rated rpm - 42.7 - 64 psi. Allowable limit - 36 psi. It says service manual for kubota V2003T - EB (TURBO)
I'm guessing your getting shutdown by protective shutdown. Going to need a dealer to throw the laptop on it. Need to see what the controller see.. Maybe the sensor is a little off that a new one will solve your problem. Otherwise you may have a another sensor going to pot throwing off the whole sensor circuit and the controller is guessing oil pressure.

Fefanatic

Usually engine specs give a oil pressure standard at a certain rpm. In the case of my 743 with a Kubota diesel the oil pressure should be between 35-45 psi at 2000 rpm. I don't know many engines that take the oil pressure at idle. You are probably OK. Electric switches go out all the time.

Fefanatic

Usually engine specs give a oil pressure standard at a certain rpm. In the case of my 743 with a Kubota diesel the oil pressure should be between 35-45 psi at 2000 rpm. I don't know many engines that take the oil pressure at idle. You are probably OK. Electric switches go out all the time.
I stand corrected. The above specs were for a gas engine. My Kubota specs are as follows. Oil Pressure @ rated RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42–56 PSI (290–386 kPa) Limit Permitted . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36 PSI (248 kPa) I looked up the rated rpm and all I could find was the rpm limit which is 2800 rpm. That would sound about right. FWIW

OP
OP
D

deck60

I stand corrected. The above specs were for a gas engine. My Kubota specs are as follows. Oil Pressure @ rated RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42–56 PSI (290–386 kPa) Limit Permitted . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36 PSI (248 kPa) I looked up the rated rpm and all I could find was the rpm limit which is 2800 rpm. That would sound about right. FWIW
well with that info I checked and at wide open it is 28psi so it is a little low i am going to try some thicker oil

walio123

well with that info I checked and at wide open it is 28psi so it is a little low i am going to try some thicker oil
Use a good, quality gauge to measure pressure.Because if it is permissible under you can have a pretty big money trouble. It is better now to disassemble the engine and check the crankshaft and bearings and oil pump. The consequences can be very expensive - a new crankshaft and camshaft, new pump, new rods .... even seen cracked engines.

Bobcatdan

Use a good, quality gauge to measure pressure.Because if it is permissible under you can have a pretty big money trouble. It is better now to disassemble the engine and check the crankshaft and bearings and oil pump. The consequences can be very expensive - a new crankshaft and camshaft, new pump, new rods .... even seen cracked engines.
It's possible its just an oil pump problem. I have seen a few where the relief in the pump was the cause.

OP
OP
D

deck60

It's possible its just an oil pump problem. I have seen a few where the relief in the pump was the cause.
well we got about 10" of snow today so i got it warmed up with dino 1540 the lowest I got for oil pressure was 21psi at full throttle I am going to pull it here soon and do a bottom end new oil pump rods and mains

Tazza

Staff member
well we got about 10" of snow today so i got it warmed up with dino 1540 the lowest I got for oil pressure was 21psi at full throttle I am going to pull it here soon and do a bottom end new oil pump rods and mains
Can you try a slightly heavier oil? see if the pressure comes up a little?
It will add up fast if you want to re-do your current engine.

Mikefromcny

Can you try a slightly heavier oil? see if the pressure comes up a little?
It will add up fast if you want to re-do your current engine.
Typically good cold oil pressure that diminishes to low pressure when warm is worn crankshaft and main bearings.

OP
OP
D

deck60

Typically good cold oil pressure that diminishes to low pressure when warm is worn crankshaft and main bearings.
so I have been gathering parts for this I had bought a head gasket a here a while back just to have in case I needed it I made the lift to remove engine and bought a oil pump and pan gasket now the strange thing I have been loading hay big round bales to sell about 18 per load well on Wednesday I loaded what I was considering to be my last load before I tore it down after loading the bales i would usually get the warning light just before I was done and it would be at 21psi when I was done I looked at the gauge and it was at 50 psi full throttle and idle about 32psi so i used it for a hour or so doing other stuff and it was the same I started it today and no issues I am going to pull it in the next couple of weeks any one have any idas of what it could be screen plugged ??? pressure relief stuck partly open I am baffled to say the least I have a manual oil pressure gauge installed as to monitor what is happening