bobcat 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kimjimtyler

Was moving some dirt and heard a loud pop kinda noise, now it won't move, the bucket will not move, is it safe to tow back to the house and any ideas on what it might be?

Tazza

Staff member
Does the engine still run or did it die when you heard the pop?
If the engine still runs and you get no drive or hydraulics, it could be that your u-joint has let go. This can be checked by lifting the ROPS and put your hand behind the pump and feel the joint between the engine and pump. Usually you would feel a fair bit of vibration when the engine is running or before it let go.

Tazza

Staff member
I am very mechanically inclined, but have never worked on a bobcat, is this a job for a professional or with a manual it could be done? Thanks for the information!
If its indeed the U-Joint, anyone can do it.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the engine down, inlet and exhaust hoses. Fuel line, return line, same with the few wires to the senders, then the radiator hoses. Lift the engine from the 2 lifting points on the head and slide it backwards. Its very easy to remove and replace. When installing it, put it back in the engine bay, but not all the way forward. You will need a pry bar to slide it forward as someone will need to lay on the pump and hold the coupler up so it will slide onto the pump shaft. Don't get your finger between the two or you may shorten a finger or two. Get someone to slowly pry the engine forward till it engages. You may need to rotate the engine slightly to get it to line up, but thats easy to do.
Good luck with it, its really not a hard job.

Garauld

If its indeed the U-Joint, anyone can do it.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the engine down, inlet and exhaust hoses. Fuel line, return line, same with the few wires to the senders, then the radiator hoses. Lift the engine from the 2 lifting points on the head and slide it backwards. Its very easy to remove and replace. When installing it, put it back in the engine bay, but not all the way forward. You will need a pry bar to slide it forward as someone will need to lay on the pump and hold the coupler up so it will slide onto the pump shaft. Don't get your finger between the two or you may shorten a finger or two. Get someone to slowly pry the engine forward till it engages. You may need to rotate the engine slightly to get it to line up, but thats easy to do.
Good luck with it, its really not a hard job.
Ditto on what Tazza said. I did mine all alone. The new U-joints are stiff so I set them more or less horizontal and wiggled the engine (with a crowbar) right in. I have an A-frame I used to lift and pull out the engine. The two lifting points are not readily accessible initially - you need to grab the first one, pick up the rear of the engine and slide it out enough to get to the rear one. I cribbed the rear of the engine and then moved the A-frame to get more rearward travel. I used tie-downs and a come-along for picking it.

OP
OP
K

kimjimtyler

Ditto on what Tazza said. I did mine all alone. The new U-joints are stiff so I set them more or less horizontal and wiggled the engine (with a crowbar) right in. I have an A-frame I used to lift and pull out the engine. The two lifting points are not readily accessible initially - you need to grab the first one, pick up the rear of the engine and slide it out enough to get to the rear one. I cribbed the rear of the engine and then moved the A-frame to get more rearward travel. I used tie-downs and a come-along for picking it.
Apparently my husband decided to take the 743 to Bingham and wants them to fix the u-joints, my question is they want to charge me close to $1,600.00 dollars, just wondering if this is a fair price or a little high? Let me know. Thanks for all the info.

jerry

Apparently my husband decided to take the 743 to Bingham and wants them to fix the u-joints, my question is they want to charge me close to $1,600.00 dollars, just wondering if this is a fair price or a little high? Let me know. Thanks for all the info.
About three years ago I was quoted $1000 for u-joint replacement by bobcat on my 632, I did it myself in about 4 hours for about $150 with Bobcat parts. Just to give you something to go by but if you don't have the time it may be that high in some areas now.

Tazza

Staff member
About three years ago I was quoted $1000 for u-joint replacement by bobcat on my 632, I did it myself in about 4 hours for about $150 with Bobcat parts. Just to give you something to go by but if you don't have the time it may be that high in some areas now.
That seems excessive to me.
I'm no expert, but i removed and replaced the engine on a 743 once and changed the U-joints and it took me 2 hours from running to running. Say the dealer charges out at $80/hour? plus parts, it shouldn't be more than $400 I'd think. Two u-joints at about $100 each plus a little extra for coolant.

Latest posts