Bobcat 632 Tapered Shaft Wheel Motors

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JakeB3030

I have a 632 that quit driving on one side. Opened the covers and we could see the drive motor shaft was spinning inside the sprocket. So we removed both drive motors and found that the threads on the nut and shaft were both completely stripped, and the sprockets were loose on the shafts. On one side the key was sheared, and it was very close on the other side. Fast forward, ordered 2 salvage drive motors that appear to be fully assembled, guy says he hasn't touched the nut/sprocket/motor assembly other than removing them from the machine. Receive the drive motors and the nuts on both are only hand tight. The "new" motors also have an odd shaped, 3 lobe, flat washer between the nut and sprocket that the old motors did not have. Threads look good, on shafts and nuts, sprockets are tight on the taper, all appears to be well except for the apparent recurring problem of the sprocket nuts coming loose and causing further damage! 1. Washers between the nut and sprocket, do they belong? One set of motors had them, the other didnt. 2. How tight should the sprocket nuts be? Torque spec? 3. Do I use Loctite or do anything else to keep the nuts from getting loose? 4. I have considered, but don't really want to, weld the nuts to the sprocket and shaft once assembled? 5. Anything else special I should know about putting these tapered shaft assemblies back together right, and prevent them from self destructing? I can provide pictures if needed to help explain what we are looking at. Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!!

craigb93

Any chance you can bend one of the 3-tabbed washer tabs up against a flat on the nut? If there is no place to simimarly bend a tab down so the washer cannot turn you could tack it opposite the one you locked against the nut. Just a thought. -Dick

OP
OP
J

JakeB3030

Any chance you can bend one of the 3-tabbed washer tabs up against a flat on the nut? If there is no place to simimarly bend a tab down so the washer cannot turn you could tack it opposite the one you locked against the nut. Just a thought. -Dick
Not a bad thought, I am open to ideas at this point. This washer doesn't appear to be your typical "folding" style washer, but maybe?