bobcat 632 shutdown

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
D

dacott

you say itll run sitting still fine? check the float it may be set to high or filling with gas and sinking
Back to the 632 gas, I checked the fuel pressure out of the fuel pump today and it seems to be about 5 . I understand this should be adequate. The engine was cold when I checked it and I assume it would not be affected by temperature. I still havent found the fuel solinoid or wires leading to it. Guess the next step is to warm it up and try to duplicate the problem and see if starting fluid will keep it running. Maybe that will helpme know if it is fuel or electrical. Any thoughts, chime in.

coreya3212

Back to the 632 gas, I checked the fuel pressure out of the fuel pump today and it seems to be about 5 . I understand this should be adequate. The engine was cold when I checked it and I assume it would not be affected by temperature. I still havent found the fuel solinoid or wires leading to it. Guess the next step is to warm it up and try to duplicate the problem and see if starting fluid will keep it running. Maybe that will helpme know if it is fuel or electrical. Any thoughts, chime in.
I think I may have found my problem. After tazza said maybe a lazy lift pump, I went back tot he tank to check my pick up and discharge line. Then i went to test the lift pump. When i pull off the suction line, there is a piece between the line and the pump, Is this a check valve? It has a ball and spring inside anyway. That was all full of junk. I cleaned it out and tested the pressure which I guess to be bewtween 5 and 6 psi. Dacott, if it helps, my service manual states that lift pump pressure should be a minimun of 4.5 psi, so I would figure you are in the range as well. You may want to check the lines and check valve as well. I dont know for sure if I found my issue as I havent run it enough to find out, but for a short spin, it actually seems to run a little smoother.

OP
OP
D

dacott

I think I may have found my problem. After tazza said maybe a lazy lift pump, I went back tot he tank to check my pick up and discharge line. Then i went to test the lift pump. When i pull off the suction line, there is a piece between the line and the pump, Is this a check valve? It has a ball and spring inside anyway. That was all full of junk. I cleaned it out and tested the pressure which I guess to be bewtween 5 and 6 psi. Dacott, if it helps, my service manual states that lift pump pressure should be a minimun of 4.5 psi, so I would figure you are in the range as well. You may want to check the lines and check valve as well. I dont know for sure if I found my issue as I havent run it enough to find out, but for a short spin, it actually seems to run a little smoother.
If yours is a diesel, with mine being gas, I dont think I have the the same system with check valve , return line etc. but it wont hurt to check the lines again.

coreya3212

If yours is a diesel, with mine being gas, I dont think I have the the same system with check valve , return line etc. but it wont hurt to check the lines again.
Yeah , I am not even certain it is a check valve, but maybe just on the diesel so it doesnt drain back while sitting and lose its prime. There seems to be a lot of this " runs for a while and stalls" problem and everyone seems to find a different cause, but the tracking down the culprit part seems ot be the same. I actually pulled my pick up tube back out to make sure i didnt reverse the pick up and return lines, as I read that was someone elses problem on another thread...

jerry

Yeah , I am not even certain it is a check valve, but maybe just on the diesel so it doesnt drain back while sitting and lose its prime. There seems to be a lot of this " runs for a while and stalls" problem and everyone seems to find a different cause, but the tracking down the culprit part seems ot be the same. I actually pulled my pick up tube back out to make sure i didnt reverse the pick up and return lines, as I read that was someone elses problem on another thread...
dacot, I thought you said you had a soleniod? You may not as one of the guys said in another thread on the 632 that the later replacement carbs did not have the solenoid. It is about 1 1/2 inches long maybe 3/4 in diameter and is on the bottom of the bowl on the engine side. I still think you may have a electrical problem. if the float is sinking it would do that also but the engine would make black smoke and flood. Check your engine oil, if you are getting too much gas it will show quick in the engine oil as overfull and smell of gas. After I got done with my problem I had a quart and a half of gas in the crankcase and I have seen that a lot of times on auto engines.

coreya3212

dacot, I thought you said you had a soleniod? You may not as one of the guys said in another thread on the 632 that the later replacement carbs did not have the solenoid. It is about 1 1/2 inches long maybe 3/4 in diameter and is on the bottom of the bowl on the engine side. I still think you may have a electrical problem. if the float is sinking it would do that also but the engine would make black smoke and flood. Check your engine oil, if you are getting too much gas it will show quick in the engine oil as overfull and smell of gas. After I got done with my problem I had a quart and a half of gas in the crankcase and I have seen that a lot of times on auto engines.
Well after clearing that " check valve" as I called it, my machine ran all day Sat and Sun without any problems. Plugged up was all. Thanks all.

OP
OP
D

dacott

Well after clearing that " check valve" as I called it, my machine ran all day Sat and Sun without any problems. Plugged up was all. Thanks all.
Knock on wood, I may have the problem solved. I ran the 632 a little over an hour today without problem. I dont know which corrected it but I drained tank, cleaned the outlet elbow and valve, blew air back into the tank from outlet, replaced all rubber fuel line and fuel filter. Took carb of and installed kit.(carb did not have solinoid). Hopefully this is the fix. Did notice a piece of black flex line in the bottom of the fuel tank that looks like it came off the filler of a fuel jug. Have not figured a way to get it out short of moving the cab cover forward to access the tank to remove it. At the moment it does not seem to be a problem. Thanks for all the helpfull suggestions.

Latest posts