Bobcat 632 hydraulic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

slk

What type of hydralic fluid should I use in this loader. I just bought it and wanted to top it off to the top petcock to be safe. Thanks Steve

Tazza

Staff member
Also what weight motor oil should I use and how much does it hold? I live in Minnesota Thanks Steve
Any engine oil will work fine. As for how much it holds, i can't tell you.

andrcurrie

Hi, according to the tech book, you should use bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid. If you are in a bind you can use engine oil 10w30 or 10w40, if opperating in 0 F (-18 C) or below use 5w30. Do not use automatic transmission fluid as it will cause damage to the transmission. The quantities are as follows hydraulic resivoir and chaincase 17 us gals (64 L) and the hydraulic/hydrostatic system takes 20 us gals (76L). Hope this helps.

mrfixitpaul

Hi, according to the tech book, you should use bobcat hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid. If you are in a bind you can use engine oil 10w30 or 10w40, if opperating in 0 F (-18 C) or below use 5w30. Do not use automatic transmission fluid as it will cause damage to the transmission. The quantities are as follows hydraulic resivoir and chaincase 17 us gals (64 L) and the hydraulic/hydrostatic system takes 20 us gals (76L). Hope this helps.
The Ford engine should take 4 quarts, we always used 10w-30 on the gas bobcat engines.

OP
OP
S

slk

I hope this is not a stupid question but are there 2 places to check hydralic fluid on the 632. I have only seen the place on top in the back to fill it with the 2 petcocks to check it on the side. Where would you check the hydraulic resivoir and chaincase? I am going to get a manual soon, but want to be safe about the fluids before I run it too much. Thanks Steve

mrfixitpaul

I hope this is not a stupid question but are there 2 places to check hydralic fluid on the 632. I have only seen the place on top in the back to fill it with the 2 petcocks to check it on the side. Where would you check the hydraulic resivoir and chaincase? I am going to get a manual soon, but want to be safe about the fluids before I run it too much. Thanks Steve
To check/fill the chaincase remove the plug at the front of the chaincase. If you can reach oil with a finger the level is fine. If it's too low it's bad for the chains & bearings. If it's too high then something is leaking IN to it. If it's milky you've got water in it and should flush it out. There is no drain for the chaincase, either pump it out the front hole or remove one of the covers on top and pump it out there.

jerry

As long as you are oiling it up on the air cleaner side of the governor body there is a pipe plug, the oil in there should be 10-30 and should be up to the plug hole. Mine leaks around the shaft I think because it is low quite often, one of those things I have to fix one of these days.

sunnyboy

As long as you are oiling it up on the air cleaner side of the governor body there is a pipe plug, the oil in there should be 10-30 and should be up to the plug hole. Mine leaks around the shaft I think because it is low quite often, one of those things I have to fix one of these days.
I would not recommend using engine oil for the hydraulics. You should be able to get inexpensive hydraulic oil (46 AWT) relatively easily. The problem as I see it is that engine oil is designed for max about 50psi applications (engines) and usually contains detergents and other additives. Hydraulic oil is designed for the MUCH higher pressures of the hydraulic system, and does not contain the engine additives. Best to use the fluid designed for the application, IMO. Cheers, -R

jerry

The Bobcat manual says 10-30 or 10-40 class se motor oil for the hydraulic system. The hydraulic fluid vs engine oil debate has been done to death here. Bobcat does sell oil although it was a little costly last time I bought some.

Tazza

Staff member
The Bobcat manual says 10-30 or 10-40 class se motor oil for the hydraulic system. The hydraulic fluid vs engine oil debate has been done to death here. Bobcat does sell oil although it was a little costly last time I bought some.
The oil debate has indeed been going on for a LONG time. My dealer used RX super 15w40 diesel grade on all 743's when the first came out, this was after a chat with the local *guru* that was working there when they first rolled out.
In the end its your choice, i personally have only ever run engine oil without any issues.

OP
OP
S

slk

The oil debate has indeed been going on for a LONG time. My dealer used RX super 15w40 diesel grade on all 743's when the first came out, this was after a chat with the local *guru* that was working there when they first rolled out.
In the end its your choice, i personally have only ever run engine oil without any issues.
What is the best way to add oil in the chain case if it is low? Through the hole in the front? I have a funnel with a long spout if that works. Just wondering if that is in fact where new oil should go. Steve

OP
OP
S

slk

What is the best way to add oil in the chain case if it is low? Through the hole in the front? I have a funnel with a long spout if that works. Just wondering if that is in fact where new oil should go. Steve
Also what size allen wrench do I use to get the allen head looking plug out? Thanks Steve

Tazza

Staff member
Also what size allen wrench do I use to get the allen head looking plug out? Thanks Steve
No idea on the wrench size, the only ones i have had were 1/2" drive wrench and 1 think the plug on my 743 is 1 1/8"?
Adding through this hole is easier than having to remove an inspection plate between the pedals. If you disturb the plate, you need to re-seal it. a funnel with a length of hose will work, but very slow, great if you only need to add a small amount of oil.

tsanders

No idea on the wrench size, the only ones i have had were 1/2" drive wrench and 1 think the plug on my 743 is 1 1/8"?
Adding through this hole is easier than having to remove an inspection plate between the pedals. If you disturb the plate, you need to re-seal it. a funnel with a length of hose will work, but very slow, great if you only need to add a small amount of oil.
SLK not trying to add fuel to flame on hyd. oil debate but i used hyd oil in my 632 when i first bought it and blowed 3 seals. asked bobcat dealer( 15 years or so ago) and i was told to run 30 weight non detergent oil. getting hard to find now but dollar general still keeps it for me. tsanders