Bobcat 500

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ymehp

Hello, Does anyone know the cost of a lift cylinder seal, cost of seal & installation or cost of a replacement cylinder and where I could fine one for a Bobcat 500? Also, the Kohler 24hp engine is air cooled, can a block heater be installed or a oil pan heater? -Thanks

flyerdan

Seal kit is availible on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bobcat-Style-6803329-Lift-Cylinder-Seal-Kit-444-643-753-/350487241842?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item519aaae472 I don't know what someone would charge to replace it because I do that stuff myself.
With bucket down just undo the lines and pull the pins to remove the cylinder.
Look in the yellow pages for a hydraulic shop near you and call them to see what they would charge to rebuild.
For the pre-heating, take a page from the aviation community that runs air cooled recips, ahd whip up a low cost frost fighter from a small space heater and some ducting fittings
Here's an article that has some pictures to give an idea. Putting a blanket over the open top of the enginge compartment will retain heat and warm it up much faster.

Mikefromcny

For the pre-heating, take a page from the aviation community that runs air cooled recips, ahd whip up a low cost frost fighter from a small space heater and some ducting fittings
Here's an article that has some pictures to give an idea. Putting a blanket over the open top of the enginge compartment will retain heat and warm it up much faster.
Keep the oil changed in that kohler..Parts are hard to get. A buddy of mine has a 500 he retrofitted a 20 hp Robin subaru engine into since the original kohler was blown.

OP
OP
Y

ymehp

Keep the oil changed in that kohler..Parts are hard to get. A buddy of mine has a 500 he retrofitted a 20 hp Robin subaru engine into since the original kohler was blown.
Thanks for the replies guys! In regards to the oil. What is it's capacity and recommended weight? What is the gas and trans fluid capacity also?

OldMachinist

Thanks for the replies guys! In regards to the oil. What is it's capacity and recommended weight? What is the gas and trans fluid capacity also?
Engine oil capacity 4 quarts
Hydraulic system 20 gallons
Gas 11 gallons
OilChart.jpg

Tigerhaze

Engine oil capacity 4 quarts
Hydraulic system 20 gallons
Gas 11 gallons
I had a lift cylinder resealed/repacked for my M500. The cost was somewhere between $70 and $90 if I remember correctly. I know that is the costly way to go then doing yourself but since I have no time was the way to go for me.
I believe the engine oil is 10W30, but don't take my word on that as my memory suffers sometimes.

OP
OP
Y

ymehp

I had a lift cylinder resealed/repacked for my M500. The cost was somewhere between $70 and $90 if I remember correctly. I know that is the costly way to go then doing yourself but since I have no time was the way to go for me.
I believe the engine oil is 10W30, but don't take my word on that as my memory suffers sometimes.
Thanks again for the help guys! Hopefully my cylinder is ok and I can get by with only replacing the seal and for under $100. Does anyone have any experience with chasing down a charging issue with a good battery and alt.? And also with a magnetic or silicone pad engine oil heater? Good/bad and can they be left plugged in or just before use?

oldreliable

Thanks again for the help guys! Hopefully my cylinder is ok and I can get by with only replacing the seal and for under $100. Does anyone have any experience with chasing down a charging issue with a good battery and alt.? And also with a magnetic or silicone pad engine oil heater? Good/bad and can they be left plugged in or just before use?
Does your Bobcat have the original kohler engine. you can get good info from the kohler website if you know the model and series of your engine. Kohler is very good at making all their service manuals and part numbers available on there website. I was able to troubleshoot my electrical problem easily with the guide in the manual. I have a 1973 500 that my father repowered in 1992 with a k582 kohler. I believe it originally came with a k662. http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

donald73d

To track down alternator problems you need a DVM. Check battery voltage with engine off and with it running. Should be around 12.6 V and 14.1 V respectively. Check connections going to alternator, tight and not corroded. Belt is tight. Assuming an internal regulator then alternator will have one (self exciting) or three wires going to it. With the key on and engine on or off you should have around 12V to all of those wires/ How do you know battery is good? Charge it fully with AC charger and then test with a carbon pile tester at 1/2 CCA for 15 seconds. These are kind of generic instructions, not specific to your engine. Most alternator rebuild shops will test your alternator for free and tell you a lot more about it than an AutoZone.

Latest posts