battery reversed?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

killim

I bought mustang omc owatt... 320. I think the battery might have cables reversed. The red cable to chassis ground is on the negative battery post. I think this mustang 320 is supposed to be positive ground. I reversed it and the engine still turns over the same direction, but I had to reverse the electric fuel pump connectors. I am wondering if the charging system is reversed as well. It has starting problems. Does any one know if it is supposed to be positive ground? And will generator be trying to charge oposite polarity?

jlmoon

Looks like to me someone has been messing with your battery cables either due to failure in the field or maybe they were color blind or didn't have any concern for standard color coding or wiring standards at the time of repair / restoration to service. I can't recall any devices after the late 60's that were Positive ground systems.. Note: Don't know about other countries beside the US. Right now you have a Red cable attached to the (-) post (the machine doesn't know the color!) which is grounded to chassis.. , this would dictate your negatively grounded at the present time. If things were or are hooked up backwards.. I feel pretty sorry for your alternator diodes and slip rings .. not to mention any other diode / semiconductor systems in that machine. JLM