Battery Draw?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

k9duramax

Hey fellas- I have a buddy with a 75XT that is having battery issues, and the dealer I guess is clueless and giving him the run around on it. He is going to bring it to me tomorrow and I am going to take a stab at it, but am not finding anything in the search on this issue. From what he tells me, is that it will drain the battery in a matter of a few hours (other battery tested good that was in there but he replaced it and still does same). I am thinking alt. or have read on here that the starter will do it as well? Is it back-feeding like a shorted out alt would do, or?? Thanks a million!!!

frogfarmer

A current draw that large will create alot of heat. Should be easy to find. A draw that large is likely in the alt. Hook up your meter and start unhooking. A stuck relay could cause the problem but shouldnt kill a battery in a couple of hours. Contacts in the starter relay could also cause the problem but the starter should be warm to the touch.

Tazza

Staff member
A current draw that large will create alot of heat. Should be easy to find. A draw that large is likely in the alt. Hook up your meter and start unhooking. A stuck relay could cause the problem but shouldnt kill a battery in a couple of hours. Contacts in the starter relay could also cause the problem but the starter should be warm to the touch.
Or the alternator, as frogfarmer said, if its draining a battery that fast, it will be generating heat, feel around on a cold morning when you connect the battery.
Another way is to disconnect the fuses, connect the battery, look for a spark, install the fuses and see when one sparks shoing power drain.