Are there Mustang Years or Models to Avoid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Skeet

As with most internet searches for equipment reviews, you typically only find those folks with bad experiences and looking to vent. As someone looking to add a skid steer on a modest budget to the farm, I've found several Mustang's in my price range but I'm leary based on lack of positive reviews. Since this is the Mustang forum, there have to be users that are happy with their purchase...surely there are a few out there. Was there a year or point in time at which Mustangs quality diminished....models to avoid. I'm not going to be using a machine in a commercial manner, I just need something that runs dependably. Thanks for any feedback! Skeet

sandhills-elect

If you are thinking track, they are a real good machine far as i am concerned, they are made by Takeuchi and repainted. They are a work horse, they may not have the bells and toys of a cat or some of the others but alot cheaper to run and buy. If you get one get it with a suspension seat and they don't ride that bad. Good luck can't speak for the tire machines. Brent.

Quad Raider

If you are thinking track, they are a real good machine far as i am concerned, they are made by Takeuchi and repainted. They are a work horse, they may not have the bells and toys of a cat or some of the others but alot cheaper to run and buy. If you get one get it with a suspension seat and they don't ride that bad. Good luck can't speak for the tire machines. Brent.
My buddy bought a 1000 off of ebay two years ago. We think it's either a '68 or a '69 model. The VH4D was worn out so he got a great deal on it. I rebuilt the engine for him last winter and we've both fallen in love with it. It's very powerful for its relatively small size. It's also very logically designed so it's very easy to work on.