Anyone used Five Point Farm & Ranch or Harvest King Skid-Steer Hydraulic Fluid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jevs

They have this at the Dickey Bub Farm store, but it doesn't really tell you what it is exactly? http://www.runnings.com/farm-fuel-oil-and-grease/harvest-king-skid-steer-hydraulic-fluid-5-gallon.htm The Five Point Farm & Ranch just seems to be the same thing, but is available at my local store. The description is a cut and past that exactly matches the linked above product. Is this ok to use in an S185? I am going to do some maintenance to my machine and change all the fluids. This stuff is $51 for 5 gallons. I have not priced it, but from what I can see on the net, it seems the Bobcat brand is twice as much? Is it any better or just the same stuff with some orange dye or something?

OP
OP
J

jevs

It seems Warren Distribution sells the same thing with lots of labels depending on the customer. I am starting to think this is just an AW46: http://www.amazon.com/5GAL-Skid-Load-Hyd-Oil/dp/B00QO1U1BM http://www.hardwareandtools.com/warren-distribution-lu42hs5p-5gal-skid-load-hyd-oil-ulbb-6131.html If you search this text you can find many things with the exact same copy and paste labeling "Suitable For Most Skid Steer Applications That Call For A Multi-Viscosity Hydraulic Fluid, Provides Year Round Performance & Protection From Oxidation & Thermal Breakdown, Can Also Be Used In Lawn & Turf Hydrostatic Systems." The real question is if I can use this in my S185, or if I should just use AW46, something else, or should I break the bank and buy the Bobcat fluid?

billrbg

It seems Warren Distribution sells the same thing with lots of labels depending on the customer. I am starting to think this is just an AW46: http://www.amazon.com/5GAL-Skid-Load-Hyd-Oil/dp/B00QO1U1BM http://www.hardwareandtools.com/warren-distribution-lu42hs5p-5gal-skid-load-hyd-oil-ulbb-6131.html If you search this text you can find many things with the exact same copy and paste labeling "Suitable For Most Skid Steer Applications That Call For A Multi-Viscosity Hydraulic Fluid, Provides Year Round Performance & Protection From Oxidation & Thermal Breakdown, Can Also Be Used In Lawn & Turf Hydrostatic Systems." The real question is if I can use this in my S185, or if I should just use AW46, something else, or should I break the bank and buy the Bobcat fluid?
Got a NAPA auto parts nearby? They have the same AW46 (made by Warren) for $40/5 gal. I can't say for sure about the S185, but I use it in a 743. No don't spend "the big bucks" for Bobcat fluid, I am certain there is a suitable generic fluid (probably that AW46).

OP
OP
J

jevs

Got a NAPA auto parts nearby? They have the same AW46 (made by Warren) for $40/5 gal. I can't say for sure about the S185, but I use it in a 743. No don't spend "the big bucks" for Bobcat fluid, I am certain there is a suitable generic fluid (probably that AW46).
I am leaning towards just using the AW46. It would be nice if it has some zinc in it and anti-foaming. So far that is the only things I can find about the Bobcat stuff that they boast about, but for all I know a good AW46 has those properties anyway? I can find AW46 everywhere around here including NAPA. I am going to ask the Bobcat dealer just for the heck of it and see if I get a corporate company man response or a good ole boy...something else will work just fine. I have not done that yet, and I think it is worth seeing what they say. I do know most people around here would not use the bobcat stuff or even take the time to look in the manual to see what spec is. I suspect most people just throw whatever they have for everything else in there....

Bobcatdan

I am leaning towards just using the AW46. It would be nice if it has some zinc in it and anti-foaming. So far that is the only things I can find about the Bobcat stuff that they boast about, but for all I know a good AW46 has those properties anyway? I can find AW46 everywhere around here including NAPA. I am going to ask the Bobcat dealer just for the heck of it and see if I get a corporate company man response or a good ole boy...something else will work just fine. I have not done that yet, and I think it is worth seeing what they say. I do know most people around here would not use the bobcat stuff or even take the time to look in the manual to see what spec is. I suspect most people just throw whatever they have for everything else in there....
Bobcat fluid should be about $30 a 2 1/2 gallon jug. So at most you are saving $10 on five gallons.

billrbg

Bobcat fluid should be about $30 a 2 1/2 gallon jug. So at most you are saving $10 on five gallons.
In my area the B'cat fluid was priced at over $90/5 gal, and that was several years ago. Now, the local B'cat dealer is gone, so it isn't readily available regardless of price. Ask your B'cat dealer for the MSDS on their fluid; I think they have to provide that, by law. It will probably state who the manufacturer is, and they often list amounts of various elements. Then compare that to the MSDS for the Warren fluid available from NAPA and others.

bobcatguy

My dad has been running the super trac 303 (on sale for $20 for 5 gallons) from Rural King for about 3 years now with no problem in his 3000 hour S250. He doesn't put a lot of hours on the machine but works it hard when he runs it. I know a lot of people will say it's cheap and don't use it but I haven't seen a problem with it in his machine. I always ran the Harvest King from Tractor Supply in my old 873 and never had any troubles with it. Ultimately it's your machine, run what you're comfortable with.