Anyone install a Push to Operate/seat switch replacement kit

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Farmallh51

I am wanting to replace the small pan seat in my 450 skid steer and am thinking of putting in a Push to Operate kit that will remove the seat switch. I am not getting much help from the dealers in my area only that the kit exists and is in stock at Bobcat. If I put in a new seat the seat sensor may have to be moved and the cost is not cheap along with the history of the seat sensors going bad I was thinking of installing the PTO kit. Any thoughts? I know seat sensors were not used on many models and the number of people who have installed them may be small. Also I am trying to decide on the new seat, Suspension or no suspension? Grammer style with adjustable back or MILSCO solid seat either Suspension (More Money) or without the Suspension?

Bobcatdan

Put the push to operate kit in. I never replace the seat switch when it acts up. It takes about 20 minutes to do. Unplug the seat switch, swap the BICS controller and change the switch on the dash.

Tazza

Staff member
Put the push to operate kit in. I never replace the seat switch when it acts up. It takes about 20 minutes to do. Unplug the seat switch, swap the BICS controller and change the switch on the dash.
Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but i removed my sensor and magnet, rotated the magnet and sensor till the light came on then glued it into place. It disables the seat switch, but leaves the seat bar switch active. You need to be in the seat with the bar down for the brake and lift lock to come off.

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but i removed my sensor and magnet, rotated the magnet and sensor till the light came on then glued it into place. It disables the seat switch, but leaves the seat bar switch active. You need to be in the seat with the bar down for the brake and lift lock to come off.
Thank you for the replies, I believe I will install the PTO kit. I have not had an issue with the seat switch but know it will come and I want to change out the seat and would like the freedom to use any seat I want. Any Opinions on the seat type to replace OEM seat?

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you for the replies, I believe I will install the PTO kit. I have not had an issue with the seat switch but know it will come and I want to change out the seat and would like the freedom to use any seat I want. Any Opinions on the seat type to replace OEM seat?
I got a generic forklift seat, semi-suspension and it works great.
Most of the generic ones are adjustable so you can move the rails to suit holes in the ROPS.

TriHonu

I got a generic forklift seat, semi-suspension and it works great.
Most of the generic ones are adjustable so you can move the rails to suit holes in the ROPS.
If you have long legs, look at the replacement seat closely.
I replaced the factory seat in my 763 with a nice adjustable suspension seat.
I got it mounted and the seat switch working before I noticed that something else was different.
Even with the seat moved all the way back so it was touching the back of the cab, the seat base was significantly further forward than the factory seat. It was not as comfortable on my legs which now have to be bent a lot more. I lost headroom and leg room. My upper body likes the seat, my legs not so much...

SkidRoe

Unlike bigger machines, seat options for 4XX machines are quite limited, as there is not much space / head room in the cab. I replaced the original seat in my 440b after the seat pan rotted out with a seat similar to this:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Seats/Seats/140-DELUXE-ULTRA-HIGH-BACK-BLACK-SEAT-1-3203-BK.axd
I can't say that this is the exact same seat, so look at the measurements before ordering.
I am 5'8" with a 32" in-seam, and I mounted the seat as far rearward in the cab as I could. For me, the location is quite comfortable.
While a suspension seat would be nice, I am afraid that you may be bouncing your head off of the roof. I have noticed that they were optional on 4XX machines, but I have never seen one installed.
FWIW - SR

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

Unlike bigger machines, seat options for 4XX machines are quite limited, as there is not much space / head room in the cab. I replaced the original seat in my 440b after the seat pan rotted out with a seat similar to this:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Seats/Seats/140-DELUXE-ULTRA-HIGH-BACK-BLACK-SEAT-1-3203-BK.axd
I can't say that this is the exact same seat, so look at the measurements before ordering.
I am 5'8" with a 32" in-seam, and I mounted the seat as far rearward in the cab as I could. For me, the location is quite comfortable.
While a suspension seat would be nice, I am afraid that you may be bouncing your head off of the roof. I have noticed that they were optional on 4XX machines, but I have never seen one installed.
FWIW - SR
Thank you all for your replies...I am looking at a Generic forklift seat that looks similar to the Grammar available from bobcat for my machine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121721862312_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT $115 VS. almost $400 has me looking that direction and since bobcat increased the price of the PTO kit from $206 to $391 the cost is getting higher the longer I wait.

TriHonu

Thank you all for your replies...I am looking at a Generic forklift seat that looks similar to the Grammar available from bobcat for my machine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121721862312_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT $115 VS. almost $400 has me looking that direction and since bobcat increased the price of the PTO kit from $206 to $391 the cost is getting higher the longer I wait.
&nbsp
Check with other Bobcat dealers. They are allowed to set their own pricing.
I have four dealers within 45 minutes of me. The price on any given part can be quite different. A friend of mine told me a story about needing a wiring harness. After phoning the dealers, the least expensive was less than 1/2 the cost quoted by the most expensive.
Call around and see if one will ship if it is too far to drive.

OP
OP
Farmallh51

Farmallh51

&nbsp
Check with other Bobcat dealers. They are allowed to set their own pricing.
I have four dealers within 45 minutes of me. The price on any given part can be quite different. A friend of mine told me a story about needing a wiring harness. After phoning the dealers, the least expensive was less than 1/2 the cost quoted by the most expensive.
Call around and see if one will ship if it is too far to drive.
Installed the PTO kit yesterday, took 45 min to do the install and longer to replace the seat. Machine operates well and the seat is much more comfortable. Wish I had done this a long time ago. As I took apart the seat switch it fell apart and I am sure it would have given me issue in the future if the PTO kit was not installed. Thank you all for your input.