Alternator acting up.........

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

I'm just about ready to buy the control box and right handle assy. for my 853. Coming back from lunch, it wouldn't start?, had to jump off the truck. At the end of the day I was driving back to the truck and all of a sudden the arms and tilt stopped?, I drove on for a few feet and they started working again?. then stopped again?, all the time pushing the 'push to operate button'. While continuing driving to the truck I played with the aux. hyd. ( which wasn't working before?) button and it worked every time!, I could hear the pump laboring while flipping the thumb switch. After shutting down again, it wouldn't start!.
Testing the alt. and battery today for whatever problem I have?. Question, since electrics control arms, tilt and aux. hyd.. Am I to assume my ongoing problems could very well be the alt. or battery?...I hope.

Thanks in advance

Tazza

Staff member
Its defiantly possible and i sure hope its that simple!
If you can throw an alternator tester on the battery you would know for sure. I just wonder if you can charge the battery, un-hook the alt and see how it runs? i don't know if it monitors the alt or not.

OP
OP
P

perry

Its defiantly possible and i sure hope its that simple!
If you can throw an alternator tester on the battery you would know for sure. I just wonder if you can charge the battery, un-hook the alt and see how it runs? i don't know if it monitors the alt or not.
Just for insurance, I'm having the alt. tested and re-check this new battery for any problems. With jobs coming in, I'm at the point of spending whatever to get-her done!. It's been raining like all get out around here, holding me up from completing some jobs. With the ground wet, I should be able to have her going in a few days.
Thanks

thetool

Is it a BICS 853? Does it have the box with green LED's by your right elbow? If so, does it have a seat switch?
I've seen bad alternators overvolt the system and cause all mannner of retardation, but you say your aux was not working before and now it's working but your hydraulics keep locking up?
If it's not the alternator or battery(I don't think so)and it still won't start-try looping the aux couplers. That checks if your aux is full time keeping it from starting. This simple problem can lead to all kinds of weird symptoms if your engine is lugging on start-up and running your system voltage and battery capacity down.
I hope you understood me, I don't know if I even understood myself=)

A quick way to know when your in the field if the alternator is actually working is to touch a screwdriver or something steel to the back center of the alternator, where the center of the stator is rotating. If it's working, it will be creating a magnetic field and the strength of the magnetic field will vary with the amount of voltage it's putting out. A good alternator with a load on it will produce a pretty strong pull on the screwdrivertip.

Tazza

Staff member
A quick way to know when your in the field if the alternator is actually working is to touch a screwdriver or something steel to the back center of the alternator, where the center of the stator is rotating. If it's working, it will be creating a magnetic field and the strength of the magnetic field will vary with the amount of voltage it's putting out. A good alternator with a load on it will produce a pretty strong pull on the screwdrivertip.
Thats a good test to know its energizing the rotor, but unfortunatly it doesn't tell you if its over or under charging.
I'll give that tip a go, something i had never thought of but it does make sense.

OP
OP
P

perry

Thats a good test to know its energizing the rotor, but unfortunatly it doesn't tell you if its over or under charging.
I'll give that tip a go, something i had never thought of but it does make sense.
Thetool, thanks for the suggestion and, yes I understood. This has been an ongoing problem that Tazza and others helped me with. Briefly, I installed the 'push to operate' kit last summer that bypasses the seat sensor, and replace all spools and coils. When I had the engine out I should have installed a fresh alt...Dang me!!. I recall last month, the battery was a little low on water. I have a feeling the alt. might be over charging?. or something else?.

skidsteer.ca

Thetool, thanks for the suggestion and, yes I understood. This has been an ongoing problem that Tazza and others helped me with. Briefly, I installed the 'push to operate' kit last summer that bypasses the seat sensor, and replace all spools and coils. When I had the engine out I should have installed a fresh alt...Dang me!!. I recall last month, the battery was a little low on water. I have a feeling the alt. might be over charging?. or something else?.
You don't have a volt meter?
Is your Boss guages? (if so you should get a code, either for high or low)
Hook your multimeter to it and see if you have over 14.7 volts.
I would think a over/under voltage could cause these problems too.
Also if that Mondo alt needs fixed, pitch it as far in the bush as you can,, and go get a Delco, it bolts right on. You will have to install a diode in one of the small alternator wires so it does not backfeed current to your fuel shutoff on the injection pump. (your engine won't shutoff) or better yet get a self exciting one and leave the small wires off.
My local starter alternator shop laughed at me when I brought my Mondo in. "Son, we don't fix those"
Ken

OldMachinist

You don't have a volt meter?
Is your Boss guages? (if so you should get a code, either for high or low)
Hook your multimeter to it and see if you have over 14.7 volts.
I would think a over/under voltage could cause these problems too.
Also if that Mondo alt needs fixed, pitch it as far in the bush as you can,, and go get a Delco, it bolts right on. You will have to install a diode in one of the small alternator wires so it does not backfeed current to your fuel shutoff on the injection pump. (your engine won't shutoff) or better yet get a self exciting one and leave the small wires off.
My local starter alternator shop laughed at me when I brought my Mondo in. "Son, we don't fix those"
Ken
If you convert to a new Delco alternator be aware that the new CS style Delco requires a small load(35 ohms) on the "L" wire that energizes the alternator for it to work right. In automotive use the idiot light provides this load. The pictures below shows the new style CS on the left. They both use the same 6.6" center to center mounting holes and come in 105 amp and 120 amp. You can buy a plug that has the resistance built in(AC Delco #8078, Napa #ECHEC82). I've used several of these when converting my old tractors from 6 volt to 12 volt. These alternators will put out maximum amps at around 4,500 rpm shaft speed versus the older Delco's that required 7,000 rpm's for max output. The pulley can be changed from serpentine to v-belt.

cs_vs_si.jpg picture by calfranch

cs_vs_si_2.jpg picture by calfranch

skidsteer.ca

If you convert to a new Delco alternator be aware that the new CS style Delco requires a small load(35 ohms) on the "L" wire that energizes the alternator for it to work right. In automotive use the idiot light provides this load. The pictures below shows the new style CS on the left. They both use the same 6.6" center to center mounting holes and come in 105 amp and 120 amp. You can buy a plug that has the resistance built in(AC Delco #8078, Napa #ECHEC82). I've used several of these when converting my old tractors from 6 volt to 12 volt. These alternators will put out maximum amps at around 4,500 rpm shaft speed versus the older Delco's that required 7,000 rpm's for max output. The pulley can be changed from serpentine to v-belt.
Good to know about the lower rpm for the CS (and the part # for the harness)
Won't take your tractor long to charge its battery, will it. :)
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

Good to know about the lower rpm for the CS (and the part # for the harness)
Won't take your tractor long to charge its battery, will it. :)
Ken
Thanks for the information, alt. checked out OK but as discussed in another thread, I found the main wire had broken off, I was running on battery only! which caused weired things to happen as voltage dropped.