970 has little power pushing a load or even moving uphill

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dtrndllc

Just stuck a couple thousand in the motor. Before this moving up hill or pushing dirt wasn't a problem other than the motor had issues. It moved dirt better before even though it was basically dead on 2 cylinders. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I forgot to mention that the other hydraulics are great.
Have you tried the easy bits, replacing the hydraulic oil filter?
The pump or motors could be a little worn to cause a lack of power. The other thing is, does the lack of power seem to be both sides equally? As i'd like to think it would be rare for both to wear or be damaged at the same time. If they the slow down when warm equally, i'd suspect a common cause, like a filter or low charge pressure.

OP
OP
D

dtrndllc

Have you tried the easy bits, replacing the hydraulic oil filter?
The pump or motors could be a little worn to cause a lack of power. The other thing is, does the lack of power seem to be both sides equally? As i'd like to think it would be rare for both to wear or be damaged at the same time. If they the slow down when warm equally, i'd suspect a common cause, like a filter or low charge pressure.
Replaced hydraulic filter when we put the motor back in. Put new hoses on at the same time. New hydraulic valve also. Put another new filter on? Hmm, not sure, but I think so. It just bogs the motor down when pushing hard or going up hill. Charge pressure, ok, how does one check that? Thanks

flyerdan

Replaced hydraulic filter when we put the motor back in. Put new hoses on at the same time. New hydraulic valve also. Put another new filter on? Hmm, not sure, but I think so. It just bogs the motor down when pushing hard or going up hill. Charge pressure, ok, how does one check that? Thanks
Did you by any chance remove or replace the injector pump? The only thing I can think of is that it might not be timed right and needs advanced a bit.

OP
OP
D

dtrndllc

Did you by any chance remove or replace the injector pump? The only thing I can think of is that it might not be timed right and needs advanced a bit.
It's the gas motor. We did put an electronic distributor on it though. Engine sounds fine. Rev's up really nicely.

flyerdan

It's the gas motor. We did put an electronic distributor on it though. Engine sounds fine. Rev's up really nicely.
I would double check the ignition timing as if it's very retarded it will rev up from idle but not have any power under load. Also check that the governor is working as it should.
Nose it up against a tree or other immovable object. Someone can visually check the governor linkage while load is applied and see if it's working.
That's about all I can think of; does it react the same way when it's deadheaded? Sitting stationary and roll the bucket back until the bypass kicks in, does it act the same or is it only in the drive mode?

Tazza

Staff member
I would double check the ignition timing as if it's very retarded it will rev up from idle but not have any power under load. Also check that the governor is working as it should.
Nose it up against a tree or other immovable object. Someone can visually check the governor linkage while load is applied and see if it's working.
That's about all I can think of; does it react the same way when it's deadheaded? Sitting stationary and roll the bucket back until the bypass kicks in, does it act the same or is it only in the drive mode?
You say the engine bogs down, if it's bogging down, it sounds like your drive system is working, it's a lack of power from the engine, as it's petrol, timing is a good place to start, make sure it's set right to give full power.

OP
OP
D

dtrndllc

Does in push and if you leave the foot pedal engaged....... It's a motor issue. I was beginning to think that, but you confirmed that. Was going to call the engine builder, but since it revs up fine, then it's most likely a timing issue or the governor. How does one adjust the governor linkage? Never messed with one before. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Does in push and if you leave the foot pedal engaged....... It's a motor issue. I was beginning to think that, but you confirmed that. Was going to call the engine builder, but since it revs up fine, then it's most likely a timing issue or the governor. How does one adjust the governor linkage? Never messed with one before. Thanks
I have never messed with an external govenor either, hopefully the builder or another member can help you out.