873 Brakes

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DogDiesel

Color me stupid. I have a service repair book, and I have been reading it on the issues with my 873 with 6016 hours. Read cover to cover once, and key parts repeatedly Problem. Apparently, I have no brakes. Neither off neutral or pedal. My pedal was un-used and stiff. Loosened it up and oiled it and it makes contact with the switch. I am in research mode now. I pressure washed this thing for 8 hours. It had the belly plate off, and was full of oily mud, stick, rocks and a wrench or two. Foot wells were filled too. While I have many issues, will focus on brakes. I have the L/R wheel not pulling, suspected to be a chain off, but haven't torn into it yet. So I will get into the brake disks. Issue: Before I start, I'd like to know how the brakes are activated. I gather electrically. I gather disk. Is there pads or actuators? Where? I looked online, and for parts, all I see is disks. Just want to get the concept of the brakes. Fuse is good, but otherwise haven't troubleshot anything. Service books has no brake troubleshooting, that I have found in my book. Wayne South Central Virginia

OldMachinist

On my 743 it has disc and brass pucks for brakes
Look in the service manual for "traction lock", normally its in section 8.
The traction lock solenoid lifts a bar that drops down and stops the discs from rotating. Sometimes when the solenoid fails people just remove the bar and put the solenoid back on. So likely a previous owner has done that.