873 bobcat starter spins but will not engage/ this is how to fix it

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gypsycatfish

My starter would spin but would not engage on cold days. I took it apart and found ice on the splined shaft that the gear slides on to engage the starter teeth (grease had gone away and let moisture in). To do this repair, remove only the longer bolt (aprox 6 inch long) of the two bolts that hold the starter motor to the gear box (you do not need to take the morto apart. Then remove the 3 screws that hold the front of the gear box to the back of the gear box. Be very careful not to lose the ball bearing in the end of the splined shaft. Put a piece of paper in the end to keep the ball in. Then press down the ring on the starter gear end of the shaft. There is a lock ring in the larger ring. I used an arbor press to push down all the parts and set the open side of the lock ring agisnist the shaft of the arbor press so it pushed the open side to make the back side stick out to get a screw driver behind it. Remove the lock ring and pull the gear off but pay close attention to the direction of the spring retainer inside of the gear. It has a shoulder on the retainer to hold the spring. Clean all the parts and re grease. I used a arbor press to put the retainer ring back on. It is a pain in the butt to get it started. If you try a socket, the socket compresses the lock ring and it will not go over the shaft. I just pressed on the end of the shaft to start the lock ring over shaft. Then make sure to use pliers to bend it so it is a tight fit and let the outter ring ride over it to keep it on. It is a lot easier if you have another person. If your starter is spinning it usually means the battery , starter motor, and solenoid are ok on a gear reduction starter. If nothing is happening then check connections and battery before replacing the starter. If you have an old battery is it not a big loss if it is not the problem. Starters are not cheap so think through the process before you throw parts. Turn key sends voltage to solenoid, plunger moves and connects heavy amperage to starter motor, motor turns gears and spins gear out on spline shaft to engage flywheel.

antfarmer2

I took pictures and will try to post at some point.
I have had this too I just pulled the starter cleaned it the best I could without takeing it apart greased it up good and benched tested it to get the grease in good and put it back in