863g

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

stevep3916

i have just bought an 863g bobcat from a friend that he hasnt been able to get started in 2 years i bought a manual download off e bay have been studying wiring diagram machine doesnt appear to have any power at stater or key no lights on boss system would anybody care to help my first time working on bobcats thanks very much steve

OldMachinist

If there's no power at the large terminal on the starter then either the battery, the cable from it is bad or you have a bad ground.
Have the battery tested or replaced. Clean the battery cables at all connections.

Tazza

Staff member
If there's no power at the large terminal on the starter then either the battery, the cable from it is bad or you have a bad ground.
Have the battery tested or replaced. Clean the battery cables at all connections.
Even try and get it to crank, run a wire from the +ve terminal to the small pin on the starter, see if it spins.
You say it hasn't started in 2 years, you didn't mention if the engine spins over or not. If it does, you will need to check the fuel system is working and that the fuel shut off solenoid is working too.
Start with getting it spinning, then go to fuel.

OP
OP
S

stevep3916

replaced battery with a new 1 no power at fuse block in front of legs starter wont engage or click apperrs to be fusable link in positive battery cable ck it to be ok I broke my leg cutting wood 6 weeks ago weather here has been bad I am able to get around now I am trying to get a game plan together to get machine started in the next week or 2 this machine only has 1100 hours I also got most ever attachment you can think of with this machine thanks for any and all help on this I thought someone might have seen this before

Tazza

Staff member
replaced battery with a new 1 no power at fuse block in front of legs starter wont engage or click apperrs to be fusable link in positive battery cable ck it to be ok I broke my leg cutting wood 6 weeks ago weather here has been bad I am able to get around now I am trying to get a game plan together to get machine started in the next week or 2 this machine only has 1100 hours I also got most ever attachment you can think of with this machine thanks for any and all help on this I thought someone might have seen this before
No power at the fuse box could be the main fuse, trace the wire from the +ve terminal see if it is ok.
Try jumping the starter, this will tell you if there is power to it or not.
If the fuse is ok, you will need to trace the wiring back to the fuse box. The fuse holders are known to corrode, so don't rule the fuse box out as being the cause. If any are badly damaged, install inline fuse holders into the harness. A new harness will run you a lot more than you wanna spent.

OP
OP
S

stevep3916

No power at the fuse box could be the main fuse, trace the wire from the +ve terminal see if it is ok.
Try jumping the starter, this will tell you if there is power to it or not.
If the fuse is ok, you will need to trace the wiring back to the fuse box. The fuse holders are known to corrode, so don't rule the fuse box out as being the cause. If any are badly damaged, install inline fuse holders into the harness. A new harness will run you a lot more than you wanna spent.
Tazza is the main fuse in the battery cable? my buddy was using the machine cut it off could not get to restart he need the money so he sold it to me no lights or any evidence of power when the key is turned to start or on position machine has deutz engine I know where primer bulb is and some of the injector return lines are cracked and will need replaced when I can get the engine cranking from studying wiring diagram it looks to me problem may be at junction points at starter or alternator as these look to feed glowplug, starter and switched power relays any thoughts thanks for your time steve

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza is the main fuse in the battery cable? my buddy was using the machine cut it off could not get to restart he need the money so he sold it to me no lights or any evidence of power when the key is turned to start or on position machine has deutz engine I know where primer bulb is and some of the injector return lines are cracked and will need replaced when I can get the engine cranking from studying wiring diagram it looks to me problem may be at junction points at starter or alternator as these look to feed glowplug, starter and switched power relays any thoughts thanks for your time steve
The fuse isn't in the lead, but should be just above the battery i believe. It was a 100 or 200A fuse.
Power should go to relays to power the glow plugs from the +ve terminal on the starter, same with the alternator as you mentioned.
Seems odd that it just died and refused to start back up like that, hopefully something very simple.

OldMachinist

Another member had the same problem with a 773 recently. This post shows where the main fuse is.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=71410

OP
OP
S

stevep3916

Another member had the same problem with a 773 recently. This post shows where the main fuse is.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=71410
tazza, i will check fuse as soon as i can thanks very much OldMachinist i read the other thread thanks will look at as soon as i can hopefully over the weekend i will let you all know what i find thanks so very much for your help and advice steve

OP
OP
S

stevep3916

tazza, i will check fuse as soon as i can thanks very much OldMachinist i read the other thread thanks will look at as soon as i can hopefully over the weekend i will let you all know what i find thanks so very much for your help and advice steve
i have an update on my bobcat installed new battery, cleaned all grounds, mega fuse not blown,power at fuses and all fuses good power at starter relay and switched power relay display above key switch doesnt light up, key does nothing, bics controler lights dont come on display only says input also fan for heater doesnt work and dome light wont come on i jumped across starter relay at fuse box and got machine to crank any suggestions? thanks steve

koko3052

i have an update on my bobcat installed new battery, cleaned all grounds, mega fuse not blown,power at fuses and all fuses good power at starter relay and switched power relay display above key switch doesnt light up, key does nothing, bics controler lights dont come on display only says input also fan for heater doesnt work and dome light wont come on i jumped across starter relay at fuse box and got machine to crank any suggestions? thanks steve
Pull out the fuel rack solenoid from under the alternator. Jump power from starter to starter solenoid & machine should start. To shut down you will have to use the manual fuel shut off or push in the rack from where you removed the solenoid. I don't envy anyone with wiring problems on these units!

Tazza

Staff member
Pull out the fuel rack solenoid from under the alternator. Jump power from starter to starter solenoid & machine should start. To shut down you will have to use the manual fuel shut off or push in the rack from where you removed the solenoid. I don't envy anyone with wiring problems on these units!
It sounds like a wiring issue, you may need to have an even closer look at the fuse box. Remove the cover and even pull out the part of the harness that the fuses push into so you can inspect the back for corrosion. Even check the wiring/connector at the computer. Hopefully it is as simple as a bad main power wire somewhere, but finding it is easier said than done.

OP
OP
S

stevep3916

It sounds like a wiring issue, you may need to have an even closer look at the fuse box. Remove the cover and even pull out the part of the harness that the fuses push into so you can inspect the back for corrosion. Even check the wiring/connector at the computer. Hopefully it is as simple as a bad main power wire somewhere, but finding it is easier said than done.
tazza thanks for responding, i called a bobcat dealer 3 1/2 hours away this morning his service manager told me where computer is i pulled access panel removed 2 of 4 connectors didnt see any corrorsion or moisture cant rem screws hoding other 2 they act like lock nut is turning with screw i just came home fron working on machine 3 bolts on the outside holds computer am going to remove them tomorrow service man told me machine would have to come to dealer if computer is bad to be reprogrammed how expensive will this be?

koko3052

tazza thanks for responding, i called a bobcat dealer 3 1/2 hours away this morning his service manager told me where computer is i pulled access panel removed 2 of 4 connectors didnt see any corrorsion or moisture cant rem screws hoding other 2 they act like lock nut is turning with screw i just came home fron working on machine 3 bolts on the outside holds computer am going to remove them tomorrow service man told me machine would have to come to dealer if computer is bad to be reprogrammed how expensive will this be?
I only meant for my previous post as a way to get the machine running…not as a fix to the electrical problems.

Tazza

Staff member
I only meant for my previous post as a way to get the machine running…not as a fix to the electrical problems.
Don't condem the computer just yet, but worst case, i believe they can program it and send it to you, not sure what they will charge. With the machine there, they will probably charge their standard hourly rate to install and program the new computer.