863 intermittent hard to start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mmsllc

It cranks strong, but after 3 seconds of cranking, it no longer cranks. The battery is new, all battery cables are good, I have a good amount of fuel smoke from the exhaust pipe, but no start. As soon as I turn off the key, it will crank over again, but not even so much as a stutter. Can anyone help solve this issue??

Tazza

Staff member
Could it be a speed sensor issue?
I don't know how long the computer will crank for before stopping. Could it be glow plugs or the relay too? as it detects that it hasn't started/

bobkat843

The 863 engine has the dreaded deutz timing belt! I Would take the cover and check to see if it jumped or damaged? .

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

RPM SENSOR LEFT OF STARTER towards you should throw a code
Well, it has been doing this on & off since I got it a few months ago. Some days it starts great, other days not so much. I'd like to get this right so I can use it with confidence. So, I am pretty sure that the timing belt is ok. How can I test the rpm speed sensor, 7MASSMALLIE?

Bobcatdan

Well, it has been doing this on & off since I got it a few months ago. Some days it starts great, other days not so much. I'd like to get this right so I can use it with confidence. So, I am pretty sure that the timing belt is ok. How can I test the rpm speed sensor, 7MASSMALLIE?
For starters, is it an F or G series. The RPM sensor is not the problem because it's not related.to starting. Also F series don't have one, unless it's BOSS then that's a whole nother problem.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

For starters, is it an F or G series. The RPM sensor is not the problem because it's not related.to starting. Also F series don't have one, unless it's BOSS then that's a whole nother problem.
Hey BOBCATDAN! It is a G series.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

Hey BOBCATDAN! It is a G series.
it also has the external wiring connector on the lift arms, right beside the aux hyd connections. The toggle switch has been broken, but I have no clue what these connections are for.....Could they be part or all of my problem??

Bobcatdan

it also has the external wiring connector on the lift arms, right beside the aux hyd connections. The toggle switch has been broken, but I have no clue what these connections are for.....Could they be part or all of my problem??
Some fuel shutoff solenoid faults will disable cranking. Pull the square connector body apart and look for signs of burning..

bobkat843

There is quit a few reasons why there is no start. you have to eliminate the simple thing first? Leaking fuel inj, fuel pump screen clogged,Even a barley loose wire on the starter could have huge effect on start up! You will damage the eng with a broken timing belt?

7LBSSMALLIE

There is quit a few reasons why there is no start. you have to eliminate the simple thing first? Leaking fuel inj, fuel pump screen clogged,Even a barley loose wire on the starter could have huge effect on start up! You will damage the eng with a broken timing belt?
rpm sensor should kick out about 2.34 volts A/C. steady

7LBSSMALLIE

rpm sensor should kick out about 2.34 volts A/C. steady
not recommened due to safety reasons. but if fuel shutoff solenoid is removed. you can reach in there with finger to shut off . its deuetz she will run shuttining her down another matter. to be clear you got four pumps run by one rail. with solenoid removed you can stick finger ti there and move should spring back this is shut off postion (RAILL LEFT NO RUN RAIL RIGHT OK. WHAT HAPPENS HERE IS is jimmy joe blow pulls a pump and does not index it bendininig rail.. quick deutz T/S colour of smoke. consumption of oil. . blown head gasket not uncommon. timiming belt slip or break not uncommon. turbo failure very uncommon . dam near bullet proof unless you feed it dirt.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

not recommened due to safety reasons. but if fuel shutoff solenoid is removed. you can reach in there with finger to shut off . its deuetz she will run shuttining her down another matter. to be clear you got four pumps run by one rail. with solenoid removed you can stick finger ti there and move should spring back this is shut off postion (RAILL LEFT NO RUN RAIL RIGHT OK. WHAT HAPPENS HERE IS is jimmy joe blow pulls a pump and does not index it bendininig rail.. quick deutz T/S colour of smoke. consumption of oil. . blown head gasket not uncommon. timiming belt slip or break not uncommon. turbo failure very uncommon . dam near bullet proof unless you feed it dirt.
Thanks to everyone. I will be checking out over the weekend. I will post the results soon.

bobcatguy

Thanks to everyone. I will be checking out over the weekend. I will post the results soon.
Check valve on the pickup tube gone? I know you said it's smoking but have you tried hitting the primer bulb before you start the machine to prime the fuel system?

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

Check valve on the pickup tube gone? I know you said it's smoking but have you tried hitting the primer bulb before you start the machine to prime the fuel system?
I still have not gotten back out to check on it. Sorry guys...

Latest posts