853h bobcat drive sprockets

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tomstu

I am trying to remove front drive sprocket bolts on a 853h bobcat. I have a 1 1/2 inch wrench with a 4 foot bar on it and can not budge either front sprocket bolts. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions other than a longer bar?

brdgbldr

I am trying to remove front drive sprocket bolts on a 853h bobcat. I have a 1 1/2 inch wrench with a 4 foot bar on it and can not budge either front sprocket bolts. Anyone have any tricks or suggestions other than a longer bar?
I made a bar with a large nut welded to the center that bolts to two lugs on the axel.

I put one wrench inside the chain case, on the axle bolt, and brace it against the frame. Then use a large breaker bar with a socket to spin the axle from the outside. This gives you a lot more room to work.

Those axle bolts are torqued to somewhere around 600 ft-lbs. takes a lot to get them off.

OP
OP
T

tomstu

I made a bar with a large nut welded to the center that bolts to two lugs on the axel.

I put one wrench inside the chain case, on the axle bolt, and brace it against the frame. Then use a large breaker bar with a socket to spin the axle from the outside. This gives you a lot more room to work.

Those axle bolts are torqued to somewhere around 600 ft-lbs. takes a lot to get them off.
I will try that this afternoon but I do not think my wheels will turn. It seems like they are all locked up. Thanks for the suggestion.

brdgbldr

I will try that this afternoon but I do not think my wheels will turn. It seems like they are all locked up. Thanks for the suggestion.
I should have mentioned that when I do this I have removed the drive motors.
It's normal that the motors will not turn when the drive is not engaged. They are hydro locked. You can just remove the motor hoses but you will need to make sure everything is clean and cap/plug the hoses but leave the motors ports open so the fluid can move. It will make a mess so keep a pan/bucket under it.

OP
OP
T

tomstu

I should have mentioned that when I do this I have removed the drive motors.
It's normal that the motors will not turn when the drive is not engaged. They are hydro locked. You can just remove the motor hoses but you will need to make sure everything is clean and cap/plug the hoses but leave the motors ports open so the fluid can move. It will make a mess so keep a pan/bucket under it.
OK. Thanks. I will have to leave this for awhile as I am going to be quite busy but I will try this when ready.

gjinc

I put the wrench on the bolt, tapped the wood in between the bolt heads to keep the wrench on, held the rod on the wrench and beat on it. Have to make sure the wheel/axle is not spinning with each hit. About 30 good hits hits and it was loose.
1689605317993-png.4295

OP
OP
T

tomstu

I put the wrench on the bolt, tapped the wood in between the bolt heads to keep the wrench on, held the rod on the wrench and beat on it. Have to make sure the wheel/axle is not spinning with each hit. About 30 good hits hits and it was loose.
1689605317993-png.4295
Thanks for the idea. Sounds like a good one.

Old_853

If it runs, put the box end of the wrench on the bolt, start it, and use the drive motors to break the bolt loose. I have a four foot pipe wrench that will grab the hub for the back axles. They are supposed to have loctite on them, once they are cracked loose you can spin them out with your fingers. Mine took two 12ton bottle jacks to pop the axle out. Once out and new bearings/races in you have to take the three smaller bolts out and pop the hub loose to get to the seal. This will make the two bottle jacks grunt. I thought something was going to break before the hubs came loose. I packed all of mine with grease, but a lot of guys don't. I think it helps the outboard bearing/seal more than anything.