853 Hydro-Stat Teardown & Inspection

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jlmoon

G'day everyone, I felt compelled to contribute more photos of my 853 Rehab experience. This is a ongoing project currently detailing the teardown, inspection and resealing & bearing replenishment of the hydro-stat system in a Bobcat 853. To some these might be handy to give you insight of what your up against should you embark on this same journey. Some really nice looking machine work inside! Thanks for looking JLM https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0fl4tmbc7ycwdzw/NS3x52J9hh/Right Side Drive Teardown

Tazza

Staff member
Excellent pictures, i had never seen inside a 853 pump, i have now :)
I see a few scratches on the wear plate, you may want to flatten them before you out it back together.

OP
OP
J

jlmoon

Excellent pictures, i had never seen inside a 853 pump, i have now :)
I see a few scratches on the wear plate, you may want to flatten them before you out it back together.
Hey Tazza, Thank you, I figured these and the future ones would help someone along the way! You mean on the journal bearings? Or the one ding on the main hydro pump gerotor holder? I checked out the ding (I didn't do it!.. lol) it is positioned strategically right on the oil input port.. so no problem. I thought it was going to be an issue myself.. , not sure the factory didn't do that to retain the outer portion of the gerotor assy during build. JLM

Tazza

Staff member
Hey Tazza, Thank you, I figured these and the future ones would help someone along the way! You mean on the journal bearings? Or the one ding on the main hydro pump gerotor holder? I checked out the ding (I didn't do it!.. lol) it is positioned strategically right on the oil input port.. so no problem. I thought it was going to be an issue myself.. , not sure the factory didn't do that to retain the outer portion of the gerotor assy during build. JLM
The picture with the rotating group, near the end. The wear plate with the brass that the rotating group runs on. Ensure there are no scores on this plate, if you can feel it with a finger nail, it's too deep. A sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper clean them up pretty well.
What's the bet it was done at the factory and the worker to cover his butt, just assembled it anyway? :)

OP
OP
J

jlmoon

The picture with the rotating group, near the end. The wear plate with the brass that the rotating group runs on. Ensure there are no scores on this plate, if you can feel it with a finger nail, it's too deep. A sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper clean them up pretty well.
What's the bet it was done at the factory and the worker to cover his butt, just assembled it anyway? :)
Tazza, I wouldn't doubt that a bit. The wear your referring to is on the back side of the swash plate that runs against the piston sliders, or are you referring to the timing plate with all the slots for fluid flow? I'm suspecting your pointing to the backside of the swash plate that contacts the top of the sliders. I do see some very minor imperfections near the center radius along with the darkening of that area. I will break out the lapping compound and glass and they will be good as new. Wonder if someone ran a little low on fluid at one time? Don't know! JLM

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I wouldn't doubt that a bit. The wear your referring to is on the back side of the swash plate that runs against the piston sliders, or are you referring to the timing plate with all the slots for fluid flow? I'm suspecting your pointing to the backside of the swash plate that contacts the top of the sliders. I do see some very minor imperfections near the center radius along with the darkening of that area. I will break out the lapping compound and glass and they will be good as new. Wonder if someone ran a little low on fluid at one time? Don't know! JLM
I was talking about the brass side that the rotating group face runs on, not the shoes. Some people call it the valve plate, it's where the pressure is generated.
The plate where the shoes run always get slight marks, as long as they aren't too deep they should be ok.
I think over time, they always get slight marks, just general wear that you get.

OP
OP
J

jlmoon

I was talking about the brass side that the rotating group face runs on, not the shoes. Some people call it the valve plate, it's where the pressure is generated.
The plate where the shoes run always get slight marks, as long as they aren't too deep they should be ok.
I think over time, they always get slight marks, just general wear that you get.
Tazza, Well I finally got to tear down the other half (left drive) portion and got to inspect all parts on both units. All are well! The marks your seeing on that timing plate were just oil residue along with some table grime from tear down. I did the fingernail test and both plates right & left are smooth as a baby behind.. which is good. Now it is bath time for the parts and reassembly is not far away. Thanks for your input. JLM

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, Well I finally got to tear down the other half (left drive) portion and got to inspect all parts on both units. All are well! The marks your seeing on that timing plate were just oil residue along with some table grime from tear down. I did the fingernail test and both plates right & left are smooth as a baby behind.. which is good. Now it is bath time for the parts and reassembly is not far away. Thanks for your input. JLM
Good to hear everything checks out. Use lots of oil when you put it back together. Hopefully not long till its back up and running.

OP
OP
J

jlmoon

Good to hear everything checks out. Use lots of oil when you put it back together. Hopefully not long till its back up and running.
Greetings to all!, Almost faded into the old woodwork over there somewhere! It has been some time now since I have had the opportunity to update my progress on my rebuild, finally got back on task and have begin to reassemble the hydro-stat pump after obtaining all the parts and refinishing the others, so I have shared my progress as of today. I hope to finish up the Right pump before the weekend (5/18/13). Good thing no one is depending on this machine to make much money.. :) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/78st5l4lw511k5z/GF8RgqPYo4 JLM

Tazza

Staff member
Greetings to all!, Almost faded into the old woodwork over there somewhere! It has been some time now since I have had the opportunity to update my progress on my rebuild, finally got back on task and have begin to reassemble the hydro-stat pump after obtaining all the parts and refinishing the others, so I have shared my progress as of today. I hope to finish up the Right pump before the weekend (5/18/13). Good thing no one is depending on this machine to make much money.. :) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/78st5l4lw511k5z/GF8RgqPYo4 JLM
Wow, you have gone all out.
I just assemble the pump/motor, tape up the required parts and paint it. Looks really good!

OP
OP
J

jlmoon

Wow, you have gone all out.
I just assemble the pump/motor, tape up the required parts and paint it. Looks really good!
Hello Taz, Yes, I really like the finish and durability yellow cad provides, especially with the extremes these machines are put through. I hope to have the complete assembly ready to put back into frame by the weekend. Finally the pump is complete and ready to go. The wiring system is my last project. I did find a aux / bics module for my machine so providing my stick switches don't give me any problem I should have good aux which will be a first for me on this one. JLM Broke the old dropbox link! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/slwvlbnioakwaht/QBGFKd3OZC