853 electrical problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

HMILLER

My 1996 853 has an intermittent problem that is starting to become a big problem. Sometimes when I turn the key on the system appears dead. No computer, no lights on the panel behind the seat, nothing. If I continue to start with the key I can hear a click from the motor area, but that's all. Sometimes after letting it set, I try again and all is fine...computer illuminates and it starts right up. I've tried jumping the battery, nothing. Cranks good when everything connects so I don't think it's the battery. I've checked all the wiring at plugs, etc., and all appears well. I'm out of ideas, anybody got a suggestion?

Bobcatdan

Is this unit have BOSS? If so rip the whole system out, buy a new harness and convert to a non BOSS unit. It would be easier then fixing the BOSS system. Battery doing funny things and cleaning the connections is a good idea. When you say you hear a click in the back what is clicking, fuel shutoff solenoid, starter solenoid, or your ears good enough to hear a relay.

mmsllc

Is this unit have BOSS? If so rip the whole system out, buy a new harness and convert to a non BOSS unit. It would be easier then fixing the BOSS system. Battery doing funny things and cleaning the connections is a good idea. When you say you hear a click in the back what is clicking, fuel shutoff solenoid, starter solenoid, or your ears good enough to hear a relay.
If it is electrically dead, I would start at the battery. Check all of the obvious things first. Are the battery terminals clean & securely attached to the battery? Are the cables in good condition, with no obvious defects in condition? With this colder weather (at least in my area) just moving into the area, it could have killed your battery. I would test your battery first. It could be a simple dead battery. Check the easy things first. Hopefully, that is all you need.