843 axle seals

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

riverbasin

Starting a tear down on a 843 to service axle seals that are leaking, and fresh bearings go with that job. Any advice from those with experience on the sequence of steps?

jlmoon

Greetings! If you have the time, tools and energy, in my opinion it is best to split the top frame/body from the lower drive / axle / gear box assembly and then remove the access plates on top of the drive frame assembly. This really makes for a good experience performing this level of service - you will be glad you did!. Under these access plates you will find some really big chains and sprockets along with a pair of disc brake type calipers, removing the axle shaft nuts will require large wrenches and lots of muscle. When you remove the nuts from these sprockets you can pull the shafts from their respective axle tubes and this is where the magic begins (a slide hammer attached to end of axle works pretty good!) If your machine has any significant hours of use (which I would suspect if does) I would suggest you press off the outer bearing (the one nearest the wheel) and replace the wear sleeves or at least inspect for grooves. Then once you replace (pressed in place) these sleeves, clean axle assembly and insert new seal (correctly oriented over wear sleeve) and press outer bearing back on using pressure on inner race of bearing. (Inspect these and their respective races while your at it, you might find them pitted if your machine has alot of hours) While you have the axles out of the frame be sure to check all eight bearings and their races for wear, scoring or pitting - replace as needed. Be sure to keep bearing matched with associated race in axle tube... do not allow these to get mixed up. There are many on here that have built special jigs to press the shaft / seal back into place without damaging the wear sleeve and seal ... this can be a delicate process. Assemble in reverse as you disassembled taking care to keep everything really clean. Hope this was a bit of help, Best of Luck! JLMoon

Tazza

Staff member
Greetings! If you have the time, tools and energy, in my opinion it is best to split the top frame/body from the lower drive / axle / gear box assembly and then remove the access plates on top of the drive frame assembly. This really makes for a good experience performing this level of service - you will be glad you did!. Under these access plates you will find some really big chains and sprockets along with a pair of disc brake type calipers, removing the axle shaft nuts will require large wrenches and lots of muscle. When you remove the nuts from these sprockets you can pull the shafts from their respective axle tubes and this is where the magic begins (a slide hammer attached to end of axle works pretty good!) If your machine has any significant hours of use (which I would suspect if does) I would suggest you press off the outer bearing (the one nearest the wheel) and replace the wear sleeves or at least inspect for grooves. Then once you replace (pressed in place) these sleeves, clean axle assembly and insert new seal (correctly oriented over wear sleeve) and press outer bearing back on using pressure on inner race of bearing. (Inspect these and their respective races while your at it, you might find them pitted if your machine has alot of hours) While you have the axles out of the frame be sure to check all eight bearings and their races for wear, scoring or pitting - replace as needed. Be sure to keep bearing matched with associated race in axle tube... do not allow these to get mixed up. There are many on here that have built special jigs to press the shaft / seal back into place without damaging the wear sleeve and seal ... this can be a delicate process. Assemble in reverse as you disassembled taking care to keep everything really clean. Hope this was a bit of help, Best of Luck! JLMoon
I second the idea of dropping the chain case out, it gives you far better access to get the job done. The never ones had two piece hubs so you didn't need to do as much work.