79 Gehl 360 issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bearcatrp

Just had a hydraulic arm seal repaired and put back together. Ran fine until today. Lost lift and bucket control. All hoses are intact. No leaking. Am still learning this skid steer. Worked it pretty hard moving snow. Could it be the pump? Is there a type of check valve I could reset? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

BTW, was able to limp it back into the garage backwards since the bucket and lift went limp.

flyerdan

BTW, was able to limp it back into the garage backwards since the bucket and lift went limp.
Not being familiar with how they're built, I looked at an online user manual , and it seems to agree with my assumption that there must be a failure of the coupling to the hydraulic pump for the lift and tilt, since the drive works and there is no massive oil hemorrhaging.

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Not being familiar with how they're built, I looked at an online user manual , and it seems to agree with my assumption that there must be a failure of the coupling to the hydraulic pump for the lift and tilt, since the drive works and there is no massive oil hemorrhaging.
Thanks for replying. The manual in the trouble shooting section shows lift/tilt not responding. answer was engine/system drive coupler defective. Looking at the service parts manual, there is no such thing. Have looked at every part but nothing with that name. Did find control valve that the control lever attaches to. am assuming this may be the issue. Being in a bad place, removing will not be fun so want to be sure this is the issue before I start removing things. Can post a picture of it if you cannot find it online.

walio123

Thanks for replying. The manual in the trouble shooting section shows lift/tilt not responding. answer was engine/system drive coupler defective. Looking at the service parts manual, there is no such thing. Have looked at every part but nothing with that name. Did find control valve that the control lever attaches to. am assuming this may be the issue. Being in a bad place, removing will not be fun so want to be sure this is the issue before I start removing things. Can post a picture of it if you cannot find it online.
Check first that the T bar pulls and pushes the plungers of the hydraulic valve. If it pulls and push them, there is almost no other cause than a broken spider of coupling. You will not meet this "drive coupler"in the parts manual.There are words like : coupling, spider ,sheave hub ........on page 8 if im not wrong.

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Check first that the T bar pulls and pushes the plungers of the hydraulic valve. If it pulls and push them, there is almost no other cause than a broken spider of coupling. You will not meet this "drive coupler"in the parts manual.There are words like : coupling, spider ,sheave hub ........on page 8 if im not wrong.
I did check to see if the control lever still moved the control valve, which it does. I did notice a sheave hub sticking out a bit more than the other one. The other one is flush on the drive sheave. By looking at the diagram on pg 11, the drive sheave is for the hydrostatic transmittion pump (both). I was able to back up to the garage when this let lose. I rotated the drive sheaves (belt off) to see if either was locked up. They turn fine.Will look up those other names you mentioned to see if its in the parts manual. Thanks

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

I did check to see if the control lever still moved the control valve, which it does. I did notice a sheave hub sticking out a bit more than the other one. The other one is flush on the drive sheave. By looking at the diagram on pg 11, the drive sheave is for the hydrostatic transmittion pump (both). I was able to back up to the garage when this let lose. I rotated the drive sheaves (belt off) to see if either was locked up. They turn fine.Will look up those other names you mentioned to see if its in the parts manual. Thanks
text

text

text

flyerdan

Okay, I fixed the pic links and was attempting to delete some of the duplicate posts attempting to get the pics to show, and for some reason the rest of the thread disappeared instead of the single post that I was targeting. I guess that's why the whole forum is such a mess, it's impossible to clean anything up without wiping out large segments.
Bearcat and Walio, sorry for losing your posts, it most definitely wasn't intentional.

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Okay, I fixed the pic links and was attempting to delete some of the duplicate posts attempting to get the pics to show, and for some reason the rest of the thread disappeared instead of the single post that I was targeting. I guess that's why the whole forum is such a mess, it's impossible to clean anything up without wiping out large segments.
Bearcat and Walio, sorry for losing your posts, it most definitely wasn't intentional.
Oh well, crap happens. Do wish I took a pic though. His response was very detailed. I read it though. Thanks

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Oh well, crap happens. Do wish I took a pic though. His response was very detailed. I read it though. Thanks
Walio, I looked at that area and saw what you pointed out. Allot of stuff to remove to get to it. Am I looking for a busted part going to the pump or the pump itself? Won't get to this for awhile. Will wait until it's warmer outside that I won't need a jacket and gloves. Thanks

walio123

Walio, I looked at that area and saw what you pointed out. Allot of stuff to remove to get to it. Am I looking for a busted part going to the pump or the pump itself? Won't get to this for awhile. Will wait until it's warmer outside that I won't need a jacket and gloves. Thanks
Look for broken parts between the gear pump and the engine pulley. With a mirror tied to a stick you may be able to see more.

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Look for broken parts between the gear pump and the engine pulley. With a mirror tied to a stick you may be able to see more.
Will do. Thanks. Just to give you an idea about this skid steer. Engine was changed to a 12 HP Koehler motor. Hydraulic cooler removed. It's under powered to the point I cannot drive and use the bucket at same time. Paid $3000 for it. Most hoses were replaced, new custom bucket, 3 of the 4 hydraulic cylinders rebuilt. Am currently looking for a replacement engine and might have a line on a 18 HP used motor. Just have to measure mounting holes and shaft size to see if it will fit. There is a company I found on the new selling a 24 HP B&S with mounting and wiring guaranteed to drop in replacement. But at $2500.00, a bit high. For what I got this for, just want it to do the jobs around the yard. Did great last summer. Fits great in the garage. Appreciate your help.

walio123

Will do. Thanks. Just to give you an idea about this skid steer. Engine was changed to a 12 HP Koehler motor. Hydraulic cooler removed. It's under powered to the point I cannot drive and use the bucket at same time. Paid $3000 for it. Most hoses were replaced, new custom bucket, 3 of the 4 hydraulic cylinders rebuilt. Am currently looking for a replacement engine and might have a line on a 18 HP used motor. Just have to measure mounting holes and shaft size to see if it will fit. There is a company I found on the new selling a 24 HP B&S with mounting and wiring guaranteed to drop in replacement. But at $2500.00, a bit high. For what I got this for, just want it to do the jobs around the yard. Did great last summer. Fits great in the garage. Appreciate your help.
That's what you had to start with. Once the engine is replaced with another engine, there is a good chance that the gear pump will be driven in another way. Just see what rotates the pum pump / small pump from which the hose goes into the hydraulic main valve/. There's probably something wrong there. If you can say that it rotates, it could be a bad pump or a stuck relief valve.

walio123

That's what you had to start with. Once the engine is replaced with another engine, there is a good chance that the gear pump will be driven in another way. Just see what rotates the pum pump / small pump from which the hose goes into the hydraulic main valve/. There's probably something wrong there. If you can say that it rotates, it could be a bad pump or a stuck relief valve.
Using the machine without a hydraulic cooler is not good. The oil buckles pretty quickly and, without cooling, loses its properties. It can cause rapid wear and tear on all three pumps. Do not be in a hurry to buy another engine, it may be because it is not in it, but in the pumps. If you use it without a cooler, it should be no more than 15-20 minutes, in the summer it can be a lot. Then you have to let her cool down ... it can take more than 3 hours in the summer ...

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Using the machine without a hydraulic cooler is not good. The oil buckles pretty quickly and, without cooling, loses its properties. It can cause rapid wear and tear on all three pumps. Do not be in a hurry to buy another engine, it may be because it is not in it, but in the pumps. If you use it without a cooler, it should be no more than 15-20 minutes, in the summer it can be a lot. Then you have to let her cool down ... it can take more than 3 hours in the summer ...
Didn't think it would heat up to bad in our cold temperatures but summer only used on small quick jobs. Been looking around for parts to get it back to original setup. I can live with the power the way it is so not on my need list for another engine. A guy I know that works on lawnmowers has a used motor that's just sitting that might work if everything lines up. If it's cheap enough, could get it. Got to fix this issue 1st before anything. Are you a hydraulic mechanic?

walio123

Didn't think it would heat up to bad in our cold temperatures but summer only used on small quick jobs. Been looking around for parts to get it back to original setup. I can live with the power the way it is so not on my need list for another engine. A guy I know that works on lawnmowers has a used motor that's just sitting that might work if everything lines up. If it's cheap enough, could get it. Got to fix this issue 1st before anything. Are you a hydraulic mechanic?
By education I am a operator of road construction machinery and mechanic on these machines. I worked a lot of shifts outside my specialty / I was an ambulance driver for 15 years. I worked 12 hours a day shift, the next day 12 hours night shift, then 3 days break. So I had a lot of free time. We also had a farm with two tractors, I bought a bobcat 953, then one 873, then a gehl 5625 ... I started working with them and I had workers. Then came the crisis of 2008, stopped giving mashines for hire, sold almost everything, and started a mechachic profession. I know those macshines very well, I had time to learn ... so things got tired. I left the ambulances, because I'm old for this ... and so on

Blaine Man

By education I am a operator of road construction machinery and mechanic on these machines. I worked a lot of shifts outside my specialty / I was an ambulance driver for 15 years. I worked 12 hours a day shift, the next day 12 hours night shift, then 3 days break. So I had a lot of free time. We also had a farm with two tractors, I bought a bobcat 953, then one 873, then a gehl 5625 ... I started working with them and I had workers. Then came the crisis of 2008, stopped giving mashines for hire, sold almost everything, and started a mechachic profession. I know those macshines very well, I had time to learn ... so things got tired. I left the ambulances, because I'm old for this ... and so on
walio123, do you still have your 5625? Picked one up last summer with 1800 hours more as a play toy than anything else. Still have to change the rest of the filters but all around the machine runs excellent. Still a couple light mechanical issues on the project list. Have to change the last 2 glow plugs after removing the Tapped Cover. Must put in a new temperature sensor but must remove the Thermostat housing to get to. I am waiting for a little warmer temperatures to warm up my hand tools.

walio123

walio123, do you still have your 5625? Picked one up last summer with 1800 hours more as a play toy than anything else. Still have to change the rest of the filters but all around the machine runs excellent. Still a couple light mechanical issues on the project list. Have to change the last 2 glow plugs after removing the Tapped Cover. Must put in a new temperature sensor but must remove the Thermostat housing to get to. I am waiting for a little warmer temperatures to warm up my hand tools.
Unfortunately, I sold it, but if there is anything you ask for, I will help with whatever I can

OP
OP
B

bearcatrp

Finally got out to look at were you said to look. Yeah, looks broken. Hope you can see in the picture. Allot of things need to be move to get access but wondering if removing the motor would work better.