7753 Solenoid electrical problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tackletree

Well spent much time searching the forum. While i learned a lot about other problems and their solutions I could not find What I was looking for. Ok here is the Situation: Went to start it nothing, direct power to the starter and it turned fine, Got new Solenoid, Still nothing. Got out the tester to check for power to all wires in and out of the Solenoid. Here is what is confusing me. Key in the start position, ignition wire, when not hooked up gets juice, when I connect to solenoid no power. It is like it is grounding out or something. I feel like there is a simple answer to this but My brain hurts from messing with it and no solutions. Any advice would be much appreciated. Got a few days off during the New year to do some repairs. Happy New year and wish you all a very prosperous and safe 2010.

jerry

After you connect it to the proper terminal and then check the terminal with a probe or light it should have juice. How far are you moving it from the disconnected spot to the connected spot? Only thing I can think of is a broken wire under the insulation which only makes contact in the right position? When you have it unhooked wiggle it around different ways to see if it fails.

mrfixitpaul

After you connect it to the proper terminal and then check the terminal with a probe or light it should have juice. How far are you moving it from the disconnected spot to the connected spot? Only thing I can think of is a broken wire under the insulation which only makes contact in the right position? When you have it unhooked wiggle it around different ways to see if it fails.
Check for corrosion around the fuses. I've seen them light a testlight but unable to carry the solenoid load.

jerry

Check for corrosion around the fuses. I've seen them light a testlight but unable to carry the solenoid load.
mrfixitpaul, I saw another post here somewhere that said pretty much the same thing. If you replace with new fuses and wiggle them in to try to clean the contacts does that sometimes help? Some of mine had that look of oxidation on the blade so I changed them. Thanks

OP
OP
T

tackletree

That makes a lot of sense. this machine is somewhat if an electrical nightmare. Previous owner made a lot of " modifications". I cant help but beleive they may all be related somehow. Fuses are a good place to start. I am having a hard time locating fuses. I have the service manual and it tells me where they are but still cant find. Here are some of the noted electrical problems I am dealing with: 1) The above post 2) Glow Plugs---Checked switch, and push button, had power,Power to the wire on metal strip, ( although it seemed as though it was a ground and not a hot???, did ohms through the plugs they were good. Still very hard start in Cold 3) Hour meter continues to click regardless of key position, only way to get it to stop is by disconnecting the battery. Battery is fully charged and I check it consitstantly. Well fellas before you tell me to take it in and eat the hourly charge for service.... any thoughts?

skidsteer.ca

That makes a lot of sense. this machine is somewhat if an electrical nightmare. Previous owner made a lot of " modifications". I cant help but beleive they may all be related somehow. Fuses are a good place to start. I am having a hard time locating fuses. I have the service manual and it tells me where they are but still cant find. Here are some of the noted electrical problems I am dealing with: 1) The above post 2) Glow Plugs---Checked switch, and push button, had power,Power to the wire on metal strip, ( although it seemed as though it was a ground and not a hot???, did ohms through the plugs they were good. Still very hard start in Cold 3) Hour meter continues to click regardless of key position, only way to get it to stop is by disconnecting the battery. Battery is fully charged and I check it consitstantly. Well fellas before you tell me to take it in and eat the hourly charge for service.... any thoughts?
I agree, you have a poor conection in that circuit, has voltage until you place a load on it.
Hour meter power wire needs to be moved tothe terminal onthe key that has power whenkey is in run position.
Can you hook a ameter to eachglow plugtobe sure it is getting current and monitor the voltage at the plug to confirm a good circuit.
Ken

OP
OP
T

tackletree

I agree, you have a poor conection in that circuit, has voltage until you place a load on it.
Hour meter power wire needs to be moved tothe terminal onthe key that has power whenkey is in run position.
Can you hook a ameter to eachglow plugtobe sure it is getting current and monitor the voltage at the plug to confirm a good circuit.
Ken
When it warms up a little I will go fuse hunting on Bob! Can a relay cause these problems? "Can you hook a ameter to eachglow plugtobe sure it is getting current and monitor the voltage at the plug to confirm a good circuit." All I have is a Multi Meter.

jerry

When it warms up a little I will go fuse hunting on Bob! Can a relay cause these problems? "Can you hook a ameter to eachglow plugtobe sure it is getting current and monitor the voltage at the plug to confirm a good circuit." All I have is a Multi Meter.
In the New Holland forum down below rigidhog74 used a clamp on ammeter to check his glow plugs. Read that thread also might be something helpful in it.

OP
OP
T

tackletree

In the New Holland forum down below rigidhog74 used a clamp on ammeter to check his glow plugs. Read that thread also might be something helpful in it.
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of hooking glow plugs directly to power source to visually check function. Not sure how he is grounding though? Just touching side of plug to frame? Does anyone feel the relay switches could be the problem. If so is there a way to jump the relay...hook up the ignition wire to the hot?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of hooking glow plugs directly to power source to visually check function. Not sure how he is grounding though? Just touching side of plug to frame? Does anyone feel the relay switches could be the problem. If so is there a way to jump the relay...hook up the ignition wire to the hot?
The way i do it is, remove the plugs and hold the body of them with a battery jumper cable with the clip. Put that to a battery terminal and touch the threaded end to the opposite battery terminal. It should glow right to the tip of the plug.