773GT Popping Noise

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirthog28

I've got a Bobcat 773GT that I've noticed lately makes a popping noise when making a gradual left turn. I'm thinking somethink to do with the chain possibly anybody got any other ideas. I noticed Bobcat recommends at every 1,000hrs checking or adjusting the chains, I'm nearing 1,000 mark could I possibly just need an adjustment or something more serious.

Fishfiles

there is no adjustment of the chains , if they were strecthed out the only thing you could do would be cut out a link and add a master link or half link to put it back together as the OEM chains have no master link , if that were the case that the chains are loose then it is probally something else causing the looseness , could be axle bearings going bad causing your popping sound , block the back of the machine and use the bucket to get all four wheels off the ground nad check each wheel for play, you can also rotate the wheel by hand as far as you can go left and right and you may be able to hear where the pop is coming from , are you leaking case oil from behind the wheels , what does the oil in the chain case look like , you can put a telescopic magnet thru the fill hole of the chain case and see if you get any metal fragments out of it

OP
OP
D

dirthog28

there is no adjustment of the chains , if they were strecthed out the only thing you could do would be cut out a link and add a master link or half link to put it back together as the OEM chains have no master link , if that were the case that the chains are loose then it is probally something else causing the looseness , could be axle bearings going bad causing your popping sound , block the back of the machine and use the bucket to get all four wheels off the ground nad check each wheel for play, you can also rotate the wheel by hand as far as you can go left and right and you may be able to hear where the pop is coming from , are you leaking case oil from behind the wheels , what does the oil in the chain case look like , you can put a telescopic magnet thru the fill hole of the chain case and see if you get any metal fragments out of it
I've looked all around and haven't seen anything leaking, like I mentioned it doesn't do it all the time. I haven't tore into anything yet, I got a feeling its axle bearing now that you said that since I run rubber OTT on the machine.

Fishfiles

I've looked all around and haven't seen anything leaking, like I mentioned it doesn't do it all the time. I haven't tore into anything yet, I got a feeling its axle bearing now that you said that since I run rubber OTT on the machine.
Rubber OTT says a lot , I would say chain and sprocket problems , I have been told that if you run them you need to open the chain case and remove the front chains from the machine and power the tracks with just the rear chains turning just the rear tires or drive train damage will occur , they never told you that were you bought them from , I wonder why with rubber band tracks you had to do that but with steel you don't and the reason I was told by the track saleman was that with the rubber there is no slippage of the tires inside the track where as with the steel they are not as tight and some slippage occurs , I'd bet that the teeth on your sprockets don't like teeth any more and the chains are worn out and the pop is the slack in the chain getting jamed under the sprocket against the floor , I have seen a couple of times were it punched a hole thru the bottom of the chain case from that senerio , the front cover is pretty easy to remove , the other two are a bit harder , I'd take off the front and have a look and see whats going on before it gets really bad

OP
OP
D

dirthog28

Rubber OTT says a lot , I would say chain and sprocket problems , I have been told that if you run them you need to open the chain case and remove the front chains from the machine and power the tracks with just the rear chains turning just the rear tires or drive train damage will occur , they never told you that were you bought them from , I wonder why with rubber band tracks you had to do that but with steel you don't and the reason I was told by the track saleman was that with the rubber there is no slippage of the tires inside the track where as with the steel they are not as tight and some slippage occurs , I'd bet that the teeth on your sprockets don't like teeth any more and the chains are worn out and the pop is the slack in the chain getting jamed under the sprocket against the floor , I have seen a couple of times were it punched a hole thru the bottom of the chain case from that senerio , the front cover is pretty easy to remove , the other two are a bit harder , I'd take off the front and have a look and see whats going on before it gets really bad
I bought the rubber OTT slightly used and did some research on them and never heard anybody talk about removing the front chains, now I''ve heard that for the VTS which I've never undersood removing the chain seems it will lack power big time. Are you referring to the front chain case as to the one between the foot pedals controls?

7LBSSMALLIE

I bought the rubber OTT slightly used and did some research on them and never heard anybody talk about removing the front chains, now I''ve heard that for the VTS which I've never undersood removing the chain seems it will lack power big time. Are you referring to the front chain case as to the one between the foot pedals controls?
i have heard of this barge work in, ohio knuff said. nothing good ever came from there. what they do is remove front chains. sorry to say but heard it works.feasible should not see any lack o pwr, or traction. actually makes sense but cant condone

Fishfiles

it was explained to me like this , the OTT rubber tracks are ran a lot tighter than steel , so there is very little slippage of the tire in the track ( when adjusted properly ) , the chains in the chain case are not banjo tight , there is slack in them , so as the front and rear sets of chains turn , it forces one set of chains to hit the sprockets with extreme pressure at a slightly different timing , this eats away at the sprocket and chain , I have done sprocket jobs on machines that ran the rubber tracks and the teeth on the sprockets didn't even resemble the new ones ---------------- as far as power goes it would seem that as long as the tracks are properly adjusted and not slipping then it should be about the same , if you divided the torque between 4 wheels it would cut down on torque to the front , by not using the front then all the torque goes to the rear and is transfer into the tracks --------bottom line is that the rubber tracks are boogus , when they first came out around here everyone jumped on them , all the rental houses had them and now I very seldom see them , that says something