773 aux hyd controls

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

adsmith72

Question.... I am trying to make a forklift mast form my skid-steer.. Just a short mast, so I can lift a few things up and get out of the cab.. Not real tall.. I'm wanting a trucker mast only 80" tall.. The problem is...... The front trigger on the right side latches the aux hyd on.. I can control the mast with the center thumb switch, but I'm afraid of pulling the front trigger and latching the hyd on and running the mast up or down.. That wouldn't be safe.. Does any one know if I can some how disconnect the front trigger? I suppose I could take the handle a part but do not really want to do that.. I thought about looking at the connector under the seat and pulling the pin for that trigger, But the machine may not start.. I believe that connector has to be plugged in for the machine to start.. Some sort of diagnostic thing... Any Ideas for this would be appreciated.. Im trying to work out the details before I commit to the project of making it.. Thanks in advance

flyerdan

Aside from the lift cylinder on a forklift being single acting, the whole geometry of a quick attach mast creates a lot of moment-arm problems. All the 600 type forklifts pictured have no lift arms and the tilt cylinders are attached to the top of the cab; they are a dedicated forklift.
Is there a specific reason that you need a mast vs. the regular QA forks? The only advantage I can see to the mast is if you're needing the forks within a foot, foot and a half of the ceiling where the lift arms would hit first.
Fortunately, I have an old Hyster H50, so I've got the best of both worlds.

OP
OP
A

adsmith72

Aside from the lift cylinder on a forklift being single acting, the whole geometry of a quick attach mast creates a lot of moment-arm problems. All the 600 type forklifts pictured have no lift arms and the tilt cylinders are attached to the top of the cab; they are a dedicated forklift.
Is there a specific reason that you need a mast vs. the regular QA forks? The only advantage I can see to the mast is if you're needing the forks within a foot, foot and a half of the ceiling where the lift arms would hit first.
Fortunately, I have an old Hyster H50, so I've got the best of both worlds.
YEs I under stand the geometry issues.. Thats why I am considering a very short mast.. Only goes 80' high.. And common sense will need to be used when on the machine.. I think this applies to most attachments. Many mast have double acting cylinders.. Look at all the mast retro fitted to 3pt hitches..Most are double acting. ... My question was about the hand control trigger.. This trigger function could be a dangerous deal because it latches the hyd circuit on.. I want the mast so I can pick some small things up and still get out of the machine.. Not having the ability to climb out with the arms up is a problem. Many times i want something lifted off the ground. To work on or to unload something from a truck..I have considered getting a small forklift, but with gravel and mud driveway I know it would be stuck a lot.. Gravel and forklifts dont usually work well together.