751 fuel problem... !!!! Emergency !!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ireland

Hey when my fuel tank goes below 3/4 full engine cuts out i have to refill the tank again before machine will start. Can any one help i need machine for snow tomorrow bobcat now stuck out in snow Thanks

mkueffler

Did you replace the pick up tube? is it difficult to do so? thanks
Yes I did, for my machine it was easy, just pulled it out the top of the tank and put the new one in. the pickup tube had a screen and check valve that I allso replaced.

OldMachinist

Yes I did, for my machine it was easy, just pulled it out the top of the tank and put the new one in. the pickup tube had a screen and check valve that I allso replaced.
Follow the fuel line from the primer bulb to the tank and see if you can get to it. But I think the 751 is one of the pain in a$$ ones to do with the fuel tank under the engine pump assembly. Some people just drill a new hole in a easy place to get to and install a new pick up there.

bobbie-g

Follow the fuel line from the primer bulb to the tank and see if you can get to it. But I think the 751 is one of the pain in a$$ ones to do with the fuel tank under the engine pump assembly. Some people just drill a new hole in a easy place to get to and install a new pick up there.
On my 751C (Pug engine), the local shop did replace the fuel pickup tube. They guy who did it had short, muscular arms. He said he didn't want anyone else around when he does those, so they don't hear him talking to himself. A bear to do, but can be done. Make sure you get the fuel pickup line, and don't unscrew the fuel level sender (the plastic swells and they are near impossible to get back in, you have to get a new one). Both those are way back behind the engine. I fantasized that I could maybe reach around the left side of the engine if I pulled the muffler (pretty easy), the battery, and the air cleaner/hoses, plus the idler for the fan belt. That seems extreme, but I think that will let you stick your torso/head beside the left of the engine and your left hand will just be happy as a calm with all that room. 'Course, you won't be able to SEE anything your hand is doing..... :) ---RC

Tazza

Staff member
On my 751C (Pug engine), the local shop did replace the fuel pickup tube. They guy who did it had short, muscular arms. He said he didn't want anyone else around when he does those, so they don't hear him talking to himself. A bear to do, but can be done. Make sure you get the fuel pickup line, and don't unscrew the fuel level sender (the plastic swells and they are near impossible to get back in, you have to get a new one). Both those are way back behind the engine. I fantasized that I could maybe reach around the left side of the engine if I pulled the muffler (pretty easy), the battery, and the air cleaner/hoses, plus the idler for the fan belt. That seems extreme, but I think that will let you stick your torso/head beside the left of the engine and your left hand will just be happy as a calm with all that room. 'Course, you won't be able to SEE anything your hand is doing..... :) ---RC
I have done one on a 751 with a pug, it wasn't hard at all. Reach over the main pump and find the right one, putt it out of the tank, install a new tube and push it back in,

OP
OP
I

ireland

I have done one on a 751 with a pug, it wasn't hard at all. Reach over the main pump and find the right one, putt it out of the tank, install a new tube and push it back in,
i replaced the fuel pick up line it was perished it wasn't difficult the machine now runs perfect thanks for the help..

Lavorn

i replaced the fuel pick up line it was perished it wasn't difficult the machine now runs perfect thanks for the help..
I have the same emergency!!! We spent the entire day looking for the problem thinking it was something else, but it finally comes down to the likely culprit is the pick up tube in the tank has a problem. You can blow air into the tank thru the fuel line and hear it bubble etc, but the fuel will NOT flow from the tank to the fuel line even when you blow air into the tank??? It is as though the stem has grown up to the top of the tank and won't let the fuel in? Also we can NOT figure out how to get to the fuel tank nor even to the point where the fuel line actually hooks in to the tank? I am confident that the fuel line is good even though I can't see the whole thing as it is hidden under the side of the engine on the right side of the engine. When I plug the tank and blow air through the fuel line it doesn't leak so the line is good. What next?? The descriptions I read are a bit vague and a pix would help a lot plus someone who has done it the easy way would help also. I need the cat working and it runs great when it gets fuel. Help anyone? Thanks

Lavorn

Tazza, I have a Pug in the 751 and am at a loss as exactly how you did the replacement so easily? Apparentely you are saying that you can lift the cage, get under it and reach around the pump to the back of it and feel the top of the tank where the fuelick up stick is and just pull it out and replace it? Since I have no idea what nor where the tank actually is nor the fuel pick up might be nor how any of that might feel I need someone to paint me a very good "word pix" as I am old, not too smart, used to be when I was 20 but forgot it all when I got kids of my own! Thanks!

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, I have a Pug in the 751 and am at a loss as exactly how you did the replacement so easily? Apparentely you are saying that you can lift the cage, get under it and reach around the pump to the back of it and feel the top of the tank where the fuelick up stick is and just pull it out and replace it? Since I have no idea what nor where the tank actually is nor the fuel pick up might be nor how any of that might feel I need someone to paint me a very good "word pix" as I am old, not too smart, used to be when I was 20 but forgot it all when I got kids of my own! Thanks!
The fuel tank sits under the engine, it's rather large and made of plastic.
Lift the cab, crouch down on the plate that the steering levers poke out of, lean forward and put your hand over the pump on the left side, you should be able to feel around and find the two tubes, one is the pickup one is the return. You can pull it up and remove the tube and pickup screen. Replace the hose and put it back in. If you get a new grommet, it will make putting it back in so much easier.
It's not super easy if you haven't done it before, but it can be done.

Lavorn

Lift the cab, crouch down on the plate that the steering levers poke out of, lean forward and put your hand over the pump on the left side, you should be able to feel around and find the two tubes, one is the pickup one is the return. You can pull it up and remove the tube and pickup screen. Replace the hose and put it back in. If you get a new grommet, it will make putting it back in so much easier.
Thanks! How do I make sure that I get The pick up/return hose and NOT the other one. Obviously once this has been done I will then know what I am feeling for, but the first time around I could easily make a mistake? If I feel two tubes which of the two would it be and what will it feel like as compared to the other one that I shouldn't pull? Can I see back there with a mirror somehow to get an idea one which it might be prior to pulling? Thanks, most things n life I have to do multiple times to get them right and I would live to get this one the first time! Do I just pull hard and it gently comes out? That is sort of what it sounds like and if it is as hard to get the tube out as it was to get the drain plug out of the bottom of the tank then it will be quite hard deed and take a real strong arm to do it. Suggestions?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks! How do I make sure that I get The pick up/return hose and NOT the other one. Obviously once this has been done I will then know what I am feeling for, but the first time around I could easily make a mistake? If I feel two tubes which of the two would it be and what will it feel like as compared to the other one that I shouldn't pull? Can I see back there with a mirror somehow to get an idea one which it might be prior to pulling? Thanks, most things n life I have to do multiple times to get them right and I would live to get this one the first time! Do I just pull hard and it gently comes out? That is sort of what it sounds like and if it is as hard to get the tube out as it was to get the drain plug out of the bottom of the tank then it will be quite hard deed and take a real strong arm to do it. Suggestions?
To find the correct one, get a helper to pull or juggle the pickup line heading to the fuel filter, you will easily be able to work out what one that way.
Bobcatdan has suggested a door trim removal tool to lever the plug out, i have used pointy nosed pliers and it has worked for me too by levering it out. It will be tight no doubt, possilby not as bad as the drain plug is though. The drain plug needs to be tighter as to not leak after being installed.
I know what you mean, you want it right. No point having to get in there again to repair it twice.

Lavorn

Thank you, thank you!!!! I found that by removing the strap that holds the hydro oil tank and lowering the tank and reaching over it, I could easily access the fuel line and tube. The tube was broken off and that was the problem!!!! I went 45 mi to the Bobcat Dealer in SLC Ut. to find that my Bobcat is "outdated" and they don't make replacement tubes for it anymore???? Another reason to by any brand but Bobcat!!! They did sell me a cheesy clear neoprene tube I could have bought at Checker Auto and a new fitting and two new grommets plus the filter screen with ball valve for $28 US and when I got home found it was too small and wouldn't work so had to make my own!!!! I love my Volvo and my JD and this machine has been an underpowered little nightmare for years, but it does do the job when it is running, it is just hard to work on, always has problems and is low hrs, and the dealer is a long way away!!! I vote so I am entitled to whine!!!:):):) Thank you for always being there to help when I break down!!! I just love ths forum as you always have a solution when I have a problem. :):):)

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you, thank you!!!! I found that by removing the strap that holds the hydro oil tank and lowering the tank and reaching over it, I could easily access the fuel line and tube. The tube was broken off and that was the problem!!!! I went 45 mi to the Bobcat Dealer in SLC Ut. to find that my Bobcat is "outdated" and they don't make replacement tubes for it anymore???? Another reason to by any brand but Bobcat!!! They did sell me a cheesy clear neoprene tube I could have bought at Checker Auto and a new fitting and two new grommets plus the filter screen with ball valve for $28 US and when I got home found it was too small and wouldn't work so had to make my own!!!! I love my Volvo and my JD and this machine has been an underpowered little nightmare for years, but it does do the job when it is running, it is just hard to work on, always has problems and is low hrs, and the dealer is a long way away!!! I vote so I am entitled to whine!!!:):):) Thank you for always being there to help when I break down!!! I just love ths forum as you always have a solution when I have a problem. :):):)
Glad you got it sorted out. The newer tube is meant to be far better than the old stuff, if it's true or not, i have no idea.
That is a fair hike to get parts, but i guess we do what we must.
As for power, i thought my 751 had a fair bit, your other machines, are they larger hp and larger operating capacity?

Simo

Glad you got it sorted out. The newer tube is meant to be far better than the old stuff, if it's true or not, i have no idea.
That is a fair hike to get parts, but i guess we do what we must.
As for power, i thought my 751 had a fair bit, your other machines, are they larger hp and larger operating capacity?
Great thread guys, very informative ! We have the same problem at work with our Bobcat. I've never lifted the cab before, and haven't had the chance to look at it this afternoon. Is it easy to do and the same on all models ? Thanks in advance, Simo

Tazza

Staff member
Great thread guys, very informative ! We have the same problem at work with our Bobcat. I've never lifted the cab before, and haven't had the chance to look at it this afternoon. Is it easy to do and the same on all models ? Thanks in advance, Simo
All later models are close, your machine will be the same as the 751 though.