743 pump question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mattyc5094

Has anyone tried to install an early 843 pump onto a 743 to get more gpm? will it work? I am looking to run a 5 ft hrush hog and the gpm is just under the requirements that all these attachments require. does anyone know of a way to get to 15 gpm on my machine without adding a belt driven pump? I'm not too concerned about plumbing and bracket mod's http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bobcat-parts/bobcat-hydraulic-pumps/bobcat-part-6630239-gear-pump-for-early-843-skidloader.html

Tazza

Staff member
The one thing i'd be worried about is the shaft that drives the hydraulic pump from the main drive pumps isn't that big.... The pump mount will be different too. The one you have now is most probably a vane pump. The shaft from the pumps to the vane pump has a spline to fit the rotating part for the vane pump. Its not just a simple swap over.
The other thing is the V1702 engine may not have the extra power available to drive the larger pump AND drive with any real speed/power.
If you want more GPM you *may* be able to go up slightly with the same style pump. Talk to LPS, see what they say. It may not be listed there for skid steers, but they will be able to get it still. Don't go up much, as stated the shaft that drives the pump is not that big, i'd hate to hear it sheared off and killed the drive pumps with the metal particles.

OP
OP
mattyc5094

mattyc5094

The one thing i'd be worried about is the shaft that drives the hydraulic pump from the main drive pumps isn't that big.... The pump mount will be different too. The one you have now is most probably a vane pump. The shaft from the pumps to the vane pump has a spline to fit the rotating part for the vane pump. Its not just a simple swap over.
The other thing is the V1702 engine may not have the extra power available to drive the larger pump AND drive with any real speed/power.
If you want more GPM you *may* be able to go up slightly with the same style pump. Talk to LPS, see what they say. It may not be listed there for skid steers, but they will be able to get it still. Don't go up much, as stated the shaft that drives the pump is not that big, i'd hate to hear it sheared off and killed the drive pumps with the metal particles.
Thanks Tazza, I will call them. Was the 743b gear pump more volume than my 743 vane? I think the Main pump it bolts up to is the same